PDA

View Full Version : Keep snapping ring gear bolts

69importkilla
07-11-2013, 04:58 PM
So a year ago I ended up with a bunch of heads snapped off the ring gear. I cleaned everything up, used loctite on the bolts and now I found three bolts with the heads snapped off and all the other bolts starting to back out of the ring gear....

Am I doing something wrong here???????

TheJDMan
07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
What rear end?

sccacuda
07-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Who's gear? I've seen this on Richmond's. I use factory bolts and never have an issue again. I don't know why, just that the factory bolts don't come loose.

69importkilla
07-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Its a 10-bolt, not sure whatmake of gear is in it. This is the second time, after the first I just put grade 8 bolts in it. Now I'm going to go with factory bolts...

rchaskin
07-12-2013, 08:09 AM
That is a weird problem.....

ARP Makes some bolts with safety wire holes in them.

BonzoHansen
07-12-2013, 05:37 PM
you have to use the right ring bolts. search, it was discussed recently.

edit, here: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?91042-Ring-gear-bolts-came-loose&highlight=ring+gear+bolt

badazz81z28
07-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Dumb question...but what are you torqueing the bolts too? I have heard issues with the smaller head bolts. The larger head ones are hard to come by and I recommend getting the ARP bolts or the Mr. Gasket larger head bolts.

69importkilla
07-15-2013, 04:45 AM
Scott, I didn’t have to search for the thread I started. There were a couple of opinions about using original GM bolts or the Mr. Gasket versions, both are difficult if not impossible to come by. I have to look into the ARP bolts. My question in the previous thread was why cant I used a grade 8 fastener with a appropriately sized washer ( grade 8 as well )? What is the difference, as long as I am distributing the head pressure over a larger area?

BonzoHansen
07-15-2013, 07:27 AM
sorry, didn't even notice that!

sam 74
07-16-2013, 03:13 PM
i use ARP bolts on my ring gear and have never had an issue, 10 bolts, and 9 inch, they are rated at 200,000 psi. are you having any trouble getting the ring seated and if so are you useing the ringgear bolts to tighten the gear to the carrier?

69importkilla
07-16-2013, 03:46 PM
No trouble with that, ring seats just fine..

sam 74
07-19-2013, 12:08 PM
are the bolt heads from the same area, if so there could be a warping issue or a deflection problem, you may want to also make sure your axles aren't bent. that would be my next area to look at.

bryant
08-25-2013, 08:49 AM
I dont know if this has been resolved but i have a few questions.
are the bolts and the ring gear bolt holes oil free when assembled?
which loctite are you using?
which 10 bolt rear end is it? gm made 3 different ones, over the years
what did you torque the bolts too?

69importkilla
08-25-2013, 11:27 AM
A best as I can check the axles seem straight.
The holes and threads were cleaned with brake cleaner.
Blue. Was against using red but obviously that was a mistake.
Didn't even know there were 3 different versions of the 19 bolt rear-end.
Also a little short sighted here, didn't use a torque wrench :(

72BBSwinger
08-25-2013, 11:48 AM
On GM 10 bolts you have to use decent parts or you are asking for problems with an already questionable axle. Motive,Precision or GM for gears. Ive seen 10 bolts have ring gear bolts come loose with Richmond gears on more than one occasion. It wasnt the bolts or the installer, it was **** gear quality and harmonics that caused it. I feel for ya man but the things I would look at are brand of the R&P and the diff itself. Auburns are ok and anything from Spicer or Eaton is good stuff.

David Pozzi
08-29-2013, 05:39 PM
I had the same issue with a 10 bolt. ARP does not make left hand thread ring gear bolts for a 10 bolt for some reason. I bought Ratech bolts from Summit when I bought the gears and Eaton unit. I didn't remove the old ring gear bolts or I'd have noticed the old open diff had 11/16" heads and the Ratech bolts had smaller 5/8" heads. The I used red Loctite but they still backed off and sheared the heads off two bolts, the rest were loose. If you look at the 5/8" head bolts, the flat area that seats against the carrier is tiny, around .060" wide. This imbeds into the cast iron carrier and the bolts come loose. The fix is to use larger head bolts like GM did, or use hardened washers under the bolt heads. Making sure the bolts are still long enough to properly grip the ring gear. Since I couldn't find ARP bolts to use, I bought Mr Gasket bolts which worked fine.

David Pozzi
08-29-2013, 05:42 PM
On GM 10 bolts you have to use decent parts or you are asking for problems with an already questionable axle. Motive,Precision or GM for gears. Ive seen 10 bolts have ring gear bolts come loose with Richmond gears on more than one occasion. It wasnt the bolts or the installer, it was **** gear quality and harmonics that caused it. I feel for ya man but the things I would look at are brand of the R&P and the diff itself. Auburns are ok and anything from Spicer or Eaton is good stuff.

FYI, I have heard Motive gear reciently bought Richmond gear and Motive gears are now being made in China.

72BBSwinger
08-29-2013, 06:00 PM
FYI, I have heard Motive gear reciently bought Richmond gear and Motive gears are now being made in China.

Another one bites the dust David! The way I understand it is they bought Richmond and basically put the Motive name on the boxes, which were already made in China. A vendor friend of mine also said they still make a "premium" line still here in the states. The premiums usually run about $100 a set more.