PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Atlanta -- 81 Trans Am build

nmtt92
07-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi all --

'Accidental' newbie here. Never considered building a ProTouring car -- my stable is currently full of fairly stock muscle cars, old convertibles, and Porsches.

I just acquired a project in process that I'm going to attempt to complete...it's an 81 Ttop Trans Am body that was rotisseried then had metal 7" flares worked onto the rear quarters and 4" on front. Huge rockers were added to meet up with the rear flares and the doors were re-shaped to meet the rockers. Front end is '72 Trans Am (enduro nose, etc.); rear was designed to keep '81 taillights and bumper, but I really want to see if I can graft the '72 stuff onto the '81 tub. Body was rhino lined inside and painted black.

Suspension is all Heidts -- subframe with coilovers and Wilwoods, IRS rear with coilovers, 9" 3.55 and inboard Wilwoods, subframe connectors, etc. Wheels are custom Modulares w/Toyo 345/25-20 and 235/35-19.

And that's were it sits (guy who was having it built passed away last year)...so I need to finish body trim, figure out drivetrain, wiring, interior, etc.

Right now, I'm thinking possibly a LS2 GTO take-out, or possibly crate LS3 and 6L80E. Need some insight here. Probably go with Painless wiring. That's about as far as I've got so far, so I'll be lurking on the Forum and see what kind of tidbits I can pick up.

Looking forward to talking with y'all...

-- Jeff

srh3trinity
07-11-2013, 04:19 AM
Looks cool with the flares. Cant wait to see it with the wheels. I bought a used ls3 that needed machine work. I will have a stroker when it is done, but the ls3 crates are a really nice deal for what you get for about what I will have in mine.

SparkyRnD
07-11-2013, 06:17 AM
welcome to the group, and cool looking project. Nice rear flares too! We're up in acworth, what part of town are you in?

Tezo72
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Could you please tell me how to post pictures?

nmtt92
07-11-2013, 05:58 PM
welcome to the group, and cool looking project. Nice rear flares too! We're up in acworth, what part of town are you in?

Wow -- I checked out your website. I'll keep you in mind next time we need radiators and I'll definitely look you up for coil covers if I do the LS on this TA.

My shop is in Chamblee, usually at C&O every month...

Tezo72
07-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks,ok let me know

SparkyRnD
07-12-2013, 06:35 AM
cool. we're going to start attending C&O soon, but would rather be there with my cutlass when its done.

Tezo, post pics by typing https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif with no spaces from start to finish.

SRD art
07-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Welcome to the forum. Cool project, amidst you're restored cars it's probably nice to have one that you don't have to sweat bullets trying to decide whether to hack into it or not. Looking forward to seeing this one come together. You need to post here too... :cool: wide body pics (https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?63966-WIDEBODY-musclecars-you-love-FAT-BOOTY-post-em-up!&highlight=wide+body)