PDA

View Full Version : Leaking External Headbolts

69cortezsilver
07-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Maybe someone can give me some good input, i have a 350 sbc, and noticed this weekend after drive antifreeze was coming up threw two headbolts..i took out 1 put teflon tape/permatex #2 on threads and re-torqed then did to second bolt, only to have worse leak on startup...Is this an easy fix? or am i pulling heads and replacing gaskets/new headbolts etc??

69cortezsilver
07-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Wow! 43 views not 1 reply??? Jesus Christ what a helpfull forum

IMPALA MAN
07-09-2013, 06:06 PM
I know we used to put sealer on every head bolt. It is interesting though that you put the tape on then it leaked worse. My rec would be to remove the heads, drain the block, clean the holes, buy some good thread sealer made for head bolts and reassemble with new gaskets. I know that's a lot of work, however do you want to do the work all at once or have the same amount of work in it spread over the next few months or years?
I take it the block was checked for cracks? Was it a fresh build?

sam 74
07-11-2013, 11:34 AM
if you used sealent and it still leaked i'd say drain the cooling system and dry out the holes with compressed air, then try to seal the bolt threads, after being cleaned, with PTFE paste not tape or silicone. let it dry for a while and then try it out, if it still leaks i think you may have a more serious problem like a crack or a bad gasket.

Skip Fix
07-14-2013, 07:20 AM
ARP also makes a sealer for "wet" head bolts.