PDA

View Full Version : Low tech '71 GMC long box autocross video

bovey
07-03-2013, 04:41 PM
I did an autocross school a couple months back for fun. My truck is not really set up for it, it only has the standard 4-6 drop, stock brakes and stock 24:1 manual steering. I tosses an inexpensive set a 18x9 ProComp wheels on with with Toyo 888 and went for it. The noise you hear is coming from a LS427/t56.

At this point I'd only ever drag raced or land speed raced (Time only). I do this for fun.

Anyway, with some instruction the Truck handled well considering the set-up. And it was crazy fun. Fun enough that I'm putting in a full AGR set-up (thanks Matt) and Willwood brakes. The long term plan is to chassis it, but for this year and maybe next - I'm just going to mess around.

It should be noted that my class mates where STIs, EVO, Porsches, M3s and Miatas. On day one the jokes were flying, by the end of day 2 a number of them had been silenced. Very, very fun.

If just want to watch the run, skip to 1:35ish.

Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/69659162

slalomsauce
04-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Very cool.

My best advice to you is don't spend anymore money on parts and just go out there and get some seat time. Even better, take and autocross school class near your area. You will become far faster with instruction than any parts.

And if you want to really do the suspension, save your money, do it once, do it right. Don't do something for now, only to completely redo it later. It's not cost effective and will just make it take longer to get the chassis setup how you really want it.

My $0.02

Thanks - Jon

gutt_72
04-09-2014, 05:53 AM
Any chance we can get an updated video link? It doesnt appear to be working.

PCHRODS
04-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Any chance we can get an updated video link? It doesnt appear to be working.

Bovey.....the link......it's a no good buddy.......

bovey
04-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Oops. Sorry guys. Had to take it down for a bit... long story.

bovey
04-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Should work now. I just realized which video this is. The original run!

Also, here is my video with a couple of simple upgrades, an AGR set-up and some Wilwood 12.19 rear discs and and a 1" Willwood MC.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/103208-71-GMC-longbox-track-day-video

bovey
04-13-2014, 05:58 PM
Very cool.

My best advice to you is don't spend anymore money on parts and just go out there and get some seat time. Even better, take and autocross school class near your area. You will become far faster with instruction than any parts.

And if you want to really do the suspension, save your money, do it once, do it right. Don't do something for now, only to completely redo it later. It's not cost effective and will just make it take longer to get the chassis setup how you really want it.

My $0.02

Thanks - Jon

Jon - couldn't agree more. Yes, I have and am keeping the mods to a minimum, but it has to be safe. Autocross is not a huge problem, but it gets hairy quickly at track days - the truck is far too powerful for the brakes.

I have booked a number or schools for the summer AND I'm heavily involved in a local auto crossing club to get as much knowledge and seat time as I can. I'm also running a huge open road race called the Targa Newfoundland in September. Now if the snow will melt...

I have a full chassis in the works, money is being saved. Reading. A lot.

A proper build thread and more videos will follow.

Cheers,
bovey