PDA

View Full Version : Fuel injection cleaners?

Jim Nilsen
08-23-2005, 08:30 PM
I am wondering what is the favorite brand of fuel injection cleaner everyone uses. After going to the store and seeing so many to choose from at so many different prices I just wonder if paying more than $4 is worth it when they could be the same as the $8 brands or better?

Jim Nilsen

Rick Dorion
08-24-2005, 04:08 AM
I've been using Berryman's. At one time I knew the reason but can't recall. I wonder if there's a comparo anywhere.

CamaroAJ
08-24-2005, 08:57 AM
i would use GM top engine cleaner if you have the fuel injector flush tool. nothing is better that that stuff.

USAZR1
08-24-2005, 01:55 PM
I recommend Redline or Chevron's injector cleaners. Both are detergent-based rather than solvent-based and neither will attack injector windings like the cheap stuff. I used Redline's cleaner in my ZR-1's and added it on a regular basis.

MuscleRodz
08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Those are mostly all temp fixes and my cars alway seem to become addicted to them once I used them for awhile. They have screen in them to keep the trash out of them and should be cleaned at a major service interval of 50k or something like that. I never pull them though unless I had to fix something else and then I sent them out to be sonic cleaned and tested.

Mike

CoryM
08-24-2005, 03:15 PM
First off, IMO fuel injector cleaners are not a normal thing to use.
The only time we use them is when people have neglected their vehicles by never changing fuel filters, or driving like a granny.

Having said that, we use GM in tank fuel injector cleaner as well as the GM Cleens stuff (hook it into a vacuum line). I have seen a few occasions where a car has a dead hole and we have sent it to be motovac-ed and it cleaned the injectors enough to get it running smooth again. Temporary fix though.
Any one of the 3 can damage your engine and should be avoided IMO. The fuel additives are fairly safe so long as you follow instructions but the cleens and motovac should be left to the pros.
Cheers.

USAZR1
08-24-2005, 06:08 PM
I've incorporated the Redline fuel system cleaner into my quarterly fuel system maintenance for the last seven years and am sure it has headed off any problems. My Corvettes weren't daily drivers and besides that,the stuff the oil companies try & pass off as fuel these days doesn't help either. Better to keep injectors from plugging up than waiting on them to do so.
Used correctly,I've never heard of Chevron or Redline cleaners hurting an engine.

chicane67
08-29-2005, 06:07 AM
Hear hear Clint. I throw my 2c at RedLine as well........

TBART70
09-04-2005, 06:04 AM
chevron techron works well, cleans injectors and deposits on the intake valves. also MotorVac Sun machine is the best way to do it, if you have access.