PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Head Unit Alternative

alocker
06-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Found out about the line of new JVC head units with App Sound Control. There are some nice options for classic style in dash head units but they are a lot of money. I picked this up for $97 dollars and could not be happier. Check out the video review I made below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njl9eRcK604&feature=youtu.be

tonyvol
06-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Looks cool. I wondering if the bluetooth signal will be strong enough if the head unit is in the trunk? If would need to go through the back seat to get to the head unit in the trunk.

alocker
06-29-2013, 06:04 AM
I will experiment and let you know the results. I suspect it will work but you can consider mounting under the seat or vertically in the dash if you have room.

tonyvol
06-29-2013, 06:16 AM
I will experiment and let you know the results. I suspect it will work but you can consider mounting under the seat or vertically in the dash if you have room.

Yes, please let me know what you find out. I have no room in the glove box of my 67 camaro since I'm running a Vintage Air. Best place for me is in the trunk.

alocker
06-29-2013, 08:21 AM
I shut all the doors and stuck my arm in the trunk and closed the lid as far as I could (sorry, I'm not letting anyone lock me in the trunk as that always turns into a game fun for the other person).

It works fine. No delay or slowness. Works on the outside of the car also. Keep in mind if you are playing music from your phone you could have issues, but since these are single commands via Bluetooth, I'm guessing the range is going to be pretty good.

I will also say the sound is not bad either. I have cheapo Kendwood 2 way 6x9's in the rear and Autosound 3.5's up front. It gets plenty loud and you can adjust the eq modes from the phone along with a 2 user eq setting customized with a 5 band eq. In addition, there is a bass boost mode that had a min to max slider along with a 3 mode "loud" setting for OFF, Level 1, Level 2 which is nice. The higher end units have 3 sets of 4.5v preouts if someone is looking to build a SQ or db system with amps.

A few other features is light weight. I opted for no CD player so this things weighs about a pound. It easily mounted to the cardboard glove box structure. The CD player is $30 extra but I really didn't see a need.

tonyvol
06-30-2013, 03:57 AM
I shut all the doors and stuck my arm in the trunk and closed the lid as far as I could (sorry, I'm not letting anyone lock me in the trunk as that always turns into a game fun for the other person).

It works fine. No delay or slowness. Works on the outside of the car also. Keep in mind if you are playing music from your phone you could have issues, but since these are single commands via Bluetooth, I'm guessing the range is going to be pretty good.

I will also say the sound is not bad either. I have cheapo Kendwood 2 way 6x9's in the rear and Autosound 3.5's up front. It gets plenty loud and you can adjust the eq modes from the phone along with a 2 user eq setting customized with a 5 band eq. In addition, there is a bass boost mode that had a min to max slider along with a 3 mode "loud" setting for OFF, Level 1, Level 2 which is nice. The higher end units have 3 sets of 4.5v preouts if someone is looking to build a SQ or db system with amps.

A few other features is light weight. I opted for no CD player so this things weighs about a pound. It easily mounted to the cardboard glove box structure. The CD player is $30 extra but I really didn't see a need.

Thanks for seeing if it would work from the trunk. This should make my install easier. I was going to use one of these remotes but I may not have to now.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158RMX60ML/Sony-RM-X60M-L.html

alocker
06-30-2013, 04:15 AM
No problem. That Sony thing is cool but personally I would use an IR extender for a remote rather than hard mounting another device.

FYI, this app only works with compatible JVC head units. Its seems the app it getting negative reviews because people think it will work on any bluetooth headunit which is not true.

hessdawg
07-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Bluetooth should be good up yo 33 feet

nekkidhillbilly
07-07-2013, 12:29 PM
i can control my phone from my bt unit and it outside the truck in my pocket so should work the same