Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber

Country Flag: Canada
      wow ...so you wait until now to tell the class that you can,will and do make carbon parts . i know its a lil rude then but ...put up or shut up . what i mean is then do it your self . Helen Keller could tell that the camaro is the right car to do .

as for my carbon parts ....anvil parts
      hood 2499$
      trunk 1750 $
      vent screen 135$

ultra-carbon
      inner fenders $1200

sub total 5584$
      custom fenders
      cost of new fenders to use for molds 2@310$ = 620
      cost of new fender extensions 2@ 42 = 84
      cost of bumper filler panel 70$

total is now 6358
      mold those parts ...produce necessary pieces ...ship them TO CANADA ...PAID FOR IN US DOLLARS...fit to the car ...prime..paint and you think it would be too much to pay 10,000 ? you sir are out to lunch

the parts already produced by anvil and ultra carbon are closing in on 6000 with out taxes or shipping or duty let alone an exchange rate of 1.31. so 1 us dollar is 1.31 Canadian . simple math means 5584 x1.31 =7315.04 canadian ... going back to the custom parts JUST TO PURCHASE THEM IN SHEETMETAL 6358$ x 1.31 = 8328.98$

now going to just my fenders i told you to purchase make and ship how much id be paying .... again my parts closing in on 10,000 is not going to unheard of nor far off what im guessing my math already has it at almost 12,000 canadian which is a touch of 9000 us...

no i wont be getting dividends off the molds being made this is an agreement between himself and myself and the company he owns , he is giving me a heavy discount on making the mold in the process in lew of paying me money . plus the same deal applies for all future parts between himself and myself .

I am offically done with this conversation as it is gone from informative conversation to running in circles, i wish you the best in producing your own carbon car being as you say you can , when your thinking about making your own car ask yourself .... how much will reinforcing plates cost , trapped nuts for bolts parts on , post mold machining, legal registration ..I.E carbon splinters when it breaks hence another reason for just skinning a car .

and finally AGAIN POST A PRICE LIKE NUMBERS AS TO WHAT YOU SEEM TO THINK YOU CAN OR SHOULD PAY TO DO THIS

oh and how you think a "FULL ANVIL FRONT CLIP" is less than 10 is beyond me unless theyre used parts or not full carbon ...follow along kids
      hood 3000
      fenders 3200
      inner fenders with extensions 2950
      cowl panel 500
      header panel 500
      spoiler 400
      valance 1300
      braces 175
      vent screen 175
      rad close out panel 500
      for a total of .........12,700

and the hood fenders and, inner fenders all have a extra 200 for shipping not including any other small parts shipping charges as they would toss some together comes out for a total of 13,300 and you still havent paid sales taxes ,fit them to your car ,primed them or painted them

Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

you magically keep roping me in...... your exact wording was "eh... ive dealt with a bit of carbon fiber ..." no where in there does it say ive made parts and can make parts . also i never said 10,000 including paint and such ...thats a plus paint and such

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      you magically keep roping me in...... your exact wording was "eh... ive dealt with a bit of carbon fiber ..." no where in there does it say ive made parts and can make parts . also i never said 10,000 including paint and such ...thats a plus paint and such
      Yes, that was my fault and I apologize. I should have read what you were saying the costs were more carefully.

Like I was saying, I wasn't trying to get into the idea that I was going to look into doing it. I just wanted to get an idea of how many people here would even have interest. There are issues that need to be overcome, as you have stated a few in your last post. I just wonder where the price break is at where you would get lots of interest vs none...

ok then you should have started with .....looking at molding a carbon car prices are going to be...... if there are x many ordered then the price is ..... these will be made with ..... these will be produced by.... and myself

you also still havent posted what your price is and how cheap it is nor have you said how you got a complete front anvil clip for less then 10

nor have you said what exactly you made in the airplane industry nor posted any pictures which quite possibly add to someone being interested in a unicorn carbon car

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

ok then you should have started with .....looking at molding a carbon car prices are going to be...... if there are x many ordered then the price is ..... these will be made with ..... these will be produced by.... and myself
      Is that allowed? I've been on other web sites that would lock the thread if I would have done that and wasn't a paying vendor.

still waiting for answers in post #24

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

still waiting for answers in post #24
      Can't answer all of those yet. I'll post something here when I have more information. Wouldn't I have to become a vendor in order to post something like you suggested?

Country Flag: United States
      You would be wise to become a vendor when the time comes because we are very supportive of our vendors and as a group are not afraid to spend money on quality parts. If you can make and sell CF parts at fiberglass prices you would likely do a good amount of business.

IMO, all this banter could have been avoided if you had begun your post by saying you are making CF parts and trying to gauge interest in CF parts and bodies. Now that we understand the situation I for one am interested in what you got. Please provide more details.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Support the RPM Act
      https://www.sema.org/rpm-faq.

i would agree because if you can match quality at discount prices .....id be in for some other chevelle parts

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      You would be wise to become a vendor when the time comes because we are very supportive of our vendors and as a group are not afraid to spend money on quality parts. If you can make and sell CF parts at fiberglass prices you would likely do a good amount of business.

IMO, all this banter could have been avoided if you had begun your post by saying you are making CF parts and trying to gauge interest in CF parts and bodies. Now that we understand the situation I for one am interested in what you got. Please provide more details.
      Sorry for the approach. Like I said, there are other sites that I did try to take that approach and the thread was quickly shut down because I wasn't a paying vendor, even though I didn't have a product to offer yet.

i would agree because if you can match quality at discount prices .....id be in for some other chevelle parts
      As far as that goes, if you can give me an idea of what parts you would be looking for I could get some pricing on them.

Doors ....quarters ...roof

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Doors ....quarters ...roof
      Skins? Are you planning to attach them to the inner structure?

I would assume CF roof and door panels could be bonded to the inner structure using the same type of adhesive that the OEMs use. I think you will find that the members here are pretty serious about performance and shaving weight tends to become an obsession. Now that I think about it a CF roof panel might be one method of lowering the CG of a car. I also think there would be a fair amount of interest in a 67/68 Camaro front fenders especially if you were to add a very subtle 1" or 1.5" flare to the front fenders and inner fenders and could make a quality CF product for fiberglass prices. No one that I am aware of currently offers 67/68 fenders in either FG or CF. FYI, James Shipka has flaired the front fenders on the One Lap Camaro which, IMO, would make a perfect original to pull a mold from. Look at the pic below, note how subtle the flair is on the front fenders. I would be all over a pair of these fenders in CF.

Stick around and keep us informed on your progress. As I said, you can become a sponsor when the time is right.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Support the RPM Act
      https://www.sema.org/rpm-faq.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbett1 View Post
      Skins? Are you planning to attach them to the inner structure?

Obviously the doors would be a bolt on ...unless you are a magician and can come up with a way of skining a door ...otherwise yes the above items would be skins and bonded to stock inner structure with God only knows what ...3m has some good stuff I know

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I would assume CF roof and door panels could be bonded to the inner structure using the same type of adhesive that the OEMs use. I think you will find that the members here are pretty serious about performance and shaving weight tends to become an obsession. Now that I think about it a CF roof panel might be one method of lowering the CG of a car. I also think there would be a fair amount of interest in a 67/68 Camaro front fenders especially if you were to add a very subtle 1" or 1.5" flare to the front fenders and inner fenders and could make a quality CF product for fiberglass prices. No one that I am aware of currently offers 67/68 fenders in either FG or CF. FYI, James Shipka has flaired the front fenders on the One Lap Camaro which, IMO, would make a perfect original to pull a mold from. Look at the pic below, note how subtle the flair is on the front fenders. I would be all over a pair of these fenders in CF.

Stick around and keep us informed on your progress. As I said, you can become a sponsor when the time is right.
      That is a very nice subtle flair! If I could get my hands on that car. We'd do a digital scan that way we'd not have to touch the panel itself.

Parts at fiberglass pricing is next to impossible, but I don't think they'd have to be super expensive either. I'll see what I can do for pricing and let you guys know.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously the doors would be a bolt on ...unless you are a magician and can come up with a way of skining a door ...otherwise yes the above items would be skins and bonded to stock inner structure with God only knows what ...3m has some good stuff I know
      Ok, that helps a lot. I'll look into it and see what I can do. I think I have a few ideas of what they can be attached with. I'll let you know about that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbett1 View Post
      I have the entire front clip and trunk lid from Anvil in carbon for my Camaro and it didn't cost me $10k. Their hood is $3k and I know I can have it made (cost) in prepreg for less than half of that. The Ring Brothers are charging $30k for a shell of a body. There's no floor or inner structure at all.
      The bold seems like it would be obvious seeing the difficulties and complexity of a carbon passenger cell. Assuming that is what you mean by that..haha

I agree long flat panels would seem somewhat easy compared to trying to replicate all the inner structure in the proper location with all necessary holes ...weld nuts and access holes that are on the steel

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by HellPhish89 View Post
      The bold seems like it would be obvious seeing the difficulties and complexity of a carbon passenger cell. Assuming that is what you mean by that..haha
      Would it need to 100% mimic the existing metalwork? As long as it fits and everything bolts in, I'm sure there is a decent amount of smoothing that could be done. Plus having the floor attached would be a huge boost to structural strength.

My original plan was to have several different "floor" molds based on what kind of build someone wants to do that can fit into a one piece design so it would be a somewhat modular mold setup.

Thoughts?

Well of course you would want it to mirror the stock interior skeleton regardless of the panels bolting and screwing in .....if it was altered this could and would change the performance of the whole car being as its a subframe car, it alters the safety and in one giant swoop engineering and non of this has any mention about legalities

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com