Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.VENGEANCE View Post
      I can't see that being possible.. They send to China for a reason.

Delivered on a real time table?.. i don't think thats possible in the long haul if you have proper interest.. unless you come out of pocket to fund a large batch to sell out the door and no pre orders cause thats what usually trips up damn near everyone who I have seen do it through the forums.. Including Anvil unfortunately... Thats why I didn't want to sell my flare kit unless I had product ready to go out the door.

And second gen parts?.. oh the prayers must be stacked to heavens roof for that.. lol!
      They also scrap a ton, which isn't free. Getting parts right first time would certainly help. Further shipping stateside from there on parts like hoods, etc eat up a lot of their landed cost which could certainly go to the labor difference. Raw material costs should be no better there for similar quality. Therefore yes, I would absolutely believe it could be done local. Only thing that might be worth having done there is mold making for low volume stuff, but that's only if you find a reliable toolmaker there... not easy always.

As for timetable, if you can't figure out how to make and deliver a non-custom product in a month there's something very wrong. Even build to order can be done on a time table, not just "someday" which is Anvil's current performance. Sometimes one month, sometimes almost a year. Makes it impossible to plan into a build for most people.

Anvil has found a market for 2nd gen, as has most other pro touring companies lol. Would be curious what the split in sales is for someone like ridetech etc.

That's what the banner on the wall says. Of course I have no idea what a Lancair is... 😀

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by RLJ676 View Post
      They also scrap a ton, which isn't free. Getting parts right first time would certainly help. Further shipping stateside from there on parts like hoods, etc eat up a lot of their landed cost which could certainly go to the labor difference. Raw material costs should be no better there for similar quality. Therefore yes, I would absolutely believe it could be done local. Only thing that might be worth having done there is mold making for low volume stuff, but that's only if you find a reliable toolmaker there... not easy always.

As for timetable, if you can't figure out how to make and deliver a non-custom product in a month there's something very wrong. Even build to order can be done on a time table, not just "someday" which is Anvil's current performance. Sometimes one month, sometimes almost a year. Makes it impossible to plan into a build for most people.

Anvil has found a market for 2nd gen, as has most other pro touring companies lol. Would be curious what the split in sales is for someone like ridetech etc.
      I'm could be wrong but I think Anvil's long lead-times are because they hold product in China until they have a full container to minimize shipping cost and limit shipping damage. I also think they wait until they have a minimum number of orders for a given part before they produce them. Pure speculation on my part...

I ordered my Anvil parts one year before I needed them.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Country Flag: Canada
      Hoods look good ...guess the plane does to lol... so what would you sell a hood for one of those corvettes for . Comparison that's all
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Anvil makes CF wide body 69 Camaro fenders but when I asked them about CF 68 Camaro flaired fenders they simply said that they could not make a flair on the 68 fender and they indicated they were not interested in trying.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Support the RPM Act
      https://www.sema.org/rpm-faq.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Anvil makes CF wide body 69 Camaro fenders but when I asked them about CF 68 Camaro flaired fenders they simply said that they could not make a flair on the 68 fender and they indicated they were not interested in trying.
      They asked me to be a distributor for mine.. which is why I have mine out now.. sooo you know..mine work on 67s AND 68s.. lol!

They asked me to be a distributor for mine.. which is why I have mine out now.. sooo you know..mine work on 67s AND 68s.. lol!

I'm sure as long as you have a calendar,you will make money ....in case you live in a cave and haven't seen . Anvil can't deliver on time if there lives depended on it . I ordered a 70 chevelle hood from them back in January, was told I'd have it in April , next week sometime will put them at 2 months late with no communication from them

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I appreciate your style and your car is kick ass, but it's not my style. When I say flared fender I'm thinking in terms of the very subtle flare like that on the One Lap Camaro. (see pic earlier in this thread) BTW, I love your art!
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Support the RPM Act
      https://www.sema.org/rpm-faq.

Gerry,nice parts!
      Are those fiberglass molds you made off the oem part?
      Have you looked into a flexible poly mold material? BJB Enterprises Inc is one co. We use for our molds.
      You can make then in different durometers and they last for years and can really take a beating.
      Fiberlay is another co.
      Phil.
      72 chevelle.

Isn't that a Lancair?
      That is Lancair. I'm not doing my parts through them though.

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Hoods look good ...guess the plane does to lol... so what would you sell a hood for one of those corvettes for . Comparison that's all
      Haven't sold one yet. Those were my first attempts. I made those in my garage via resin infusion, but I didn't have an oven to post cure with. I was trying to figure out the best way to get my parts baked in an oven or autoclave when I started talking about this group that wants to help me make the parts. They have the autoclave and skills with prepreg as well as high end mold making to get it all done. Keeps my overhead down, and my garage clean, lol.

That may be something I could do as well. I plan to look into it at least.

Oh if you already make some, then that's great. Do you mind linking me to your site? I'd like to see what you offer.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      Gerry,nice parts!
      Are those fiberglass molds you made off the oem part?
      Have you looked into a flexible poly mold material? BJB Enterprises Inc is one co. We use for our molds.
      You can make then in different durometers and they last for years and can really take a beating.
      Fiberlay is another co.
      Phil.
      Thank you. Yes those were fiberglass molds. Those were the first molds I ever made in fact, lol. The group helping me will be making all of the molds. They can make high production molds which saves me the learning curve of doing it myself.

I appreciate your style and your car is kick ass, but it's not my style. When I say flared fender I'm thinking in terms of the very subtle flare like that on the One Lap Camaro. (see pic earlier in this thread) BTW, I love your art!

aaah I gotchu..

Yep I know its really a very specific taste to do bolt on flares and I don't expect much.. but the cool thing is just having the option out there.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbett1 View Post
      Oh if you already make some, then that's great. Do you mind linking me to your site? I'd like to see what you offer.
      yea man I already have the parts now.. just check my sig.

nothing special.. just the fellow enthusiast making a few things we might like.

aaah I gotchu..

Yep I know its really a very specific taste to do bolt on flares and I don't expect much.. but the cool thing is just having the option out there.
      Options out there are awesome, the more the better! I think they look great as I've told you, definitely will consider for my 72 if you get them out there.

I thought I saw an all CF 2nd gen at Sema several years back. Nobody's selling those parts?

I'll be meeting with my guys building the parts for me in the next couple weeks so I'm hoping to have more information on pricing after then.

I look forward to hearing back...cheers

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com