Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Front Fender/Well modification for tire clearance

My car is ready for paint and together, gapped, etc.. There is no engine in the car so it sits high in the front. My tires are mounted (245/40/17) on the front. Obviously it is not aligned yet and camber is not set. My biggest concern right now is that I am going to paint the car, then get the engine/trans/glass etc. and the car will settle and I will have a bad fender rub. The reason I am so concerned about this is because the wheel came with 4.5" backspace instead of the intended 4.75" for this width rim.. it was just a mistake on my part.. and this moves the tire 1/4" further out.

Anyway, I have seen others on the internets modify the front fenders by cutting the lip on the front fender, thereby removing the mounting points for the top 2 inner fender bolts to get clearance. I don't have any idea what they did to close this gap on the inside but they got clearance for the tire this way.

I tend to overthink things, but I like to be prepared. I don't want to modify a painted bumper and I know it is going to be close so I would . Does anyone have any experience with this?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com