Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Camaro Performers Wilwood rear disc kit w/ Floating Caliper

Ok guys (perhaps more specifically Steve Rupp),

Ever since pad knock back has become such a noticable issue on road courses among many forum members, I have been following the floating caliper upgrade that has been part of the solution for many. I thought that Wilwood had such a part/kit, but after speaking with Wilwood tech (pretty helpful, if I might say so) they said that they are not making a kit or parts like that.

If so, then where did the rear kit from this recent Camaro Performers article?

http://www.camaroperformers.com/cama...ade/index.html

Is this something that is sufficently new that the tech guy might not have been aware of it? It is even made by Wilwood (Rotors, parking brake & backing plate appear to be Wilwood) or perhaps a custom part? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million,

Don

Don, I converted to the floating D52? caliper and Wilwood does not make the bracket to mount this caliper from the parking brake assembly to the caliper. It's available in the aftermarket. Unfortunately, I can't tell you who makes it. It does fix the knock back issue.
      Todd

Does anyone know who makes that adapter? I really don't want to spend 700 bucks on a 4 piston rear brake setup that I have to pump twice going into a corner.

That looks like a slick adapter. You could even go cheap and use "metric" iron calipers instead of the 154s. Wilwood does have numerous piston options for them though big single or small duals. Should be a big improvement over the old factory TA ratchet D154 calipers.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Don, that kit is brand new. At the time that the article was written a few bugs were being worked out to ensure that the calipers had sufficient clearance for 15" wheels. If the kit isn't out now, it should be soon, I would think.

Matt

Thank you, guys. I can't wait for it to come out, but I still don't know who makes it. Wilwood knew nothing about it and no other manufactures have been named...

Anyone want to claim this bit of engineering?

Quote Originally Posted by carguy502 View Post
      Thank you, guys. I can't wait for it to come out, but I still don't know who makes it. Wilwood knew nothing about it and no other manufactures have been named...

Anyone want to claim this bit of engineering?
      It's all Wilwood stuff. If I remember right, the brackets used in the article were essentially pre-production pieces. I know Steve is busy, but hopefully he will chime in at some point. I'm just going off of what I remember D!ck at Best of Show saying. They had to re-tool a couple things, and if they're not on sale yet, it's possible not everyone at Wilwood is aware of the kit.

Matt

Thanks Matt! I do hope Steve will chime in here. I could imagine this kind of kit attracting lots of attention from the folks running c-clip axles that have a bit of play to begin with...

Don

I agree this kit could be a really big seller for alot of the GM folks from A bodies to F bodies.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
      Don, I converted to the floating D52? caliper and Wilwood does not make the bracket to mount this caliper from the parking brake assembly to the caliper. It's available in the aftermarket. Unfortunately, I can't tell you who makes it. It does fix the knock back issue.
      Todd,
      Really appreciate all the build info and knowledge, but why al the secrecy on the brackets? After all they are just metal brackets...... Liability, promises, future products?

Thanks-Wes

Maybe I missed it in the article, but does anyone know what diameter the rear dics are?? I even have a hard copy and still can't find it.

David

Quote Originally Posted by MoparCar View Post
      Todd,
      Really appreciate all the build info and knowledge, but why al the secrecy on the brackets? After all they are just metal brackets...... Liability, promises, future products?

Thanks-Wes
      Simple, I promised the vendor I wouldn't disclose the source as they don't normally sell the bracket separate. Once I open my big mouth, they will have 20 calls a week for a bracket they don't care to sell. Wilwood knows there is a demand, they'll have it out soon enough. Larry and I are both running this setup and have been for a while.
      Todd

Heck even adding a separate bracket to the E brake setup to use other calipers would be a slick deal. So is it just their normal "in hat" E brake setup with a bracket for a floating caliper vs a Dynalite?
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
      Simple, I promised the vendor I wouldn't disclose the source as they don't normally sell the bracket separate. Once I open my big mouth, they will have 20 calls a week for a bracket they don't care to sell. Wilwood knows there is a demand, they'll have it out soon enough. Larry and I are both running this setup and have been for a while.
      Todd,
      Got it! Thanks for the reply. I'll wait for Wilwood's solution.

Wes

Still curious about the rotor diameter? Todd??

Wilwood is in fact bringing out the kit mentioned in Camaro Performers and it will be available next week. The part numbers range from 140-12208 thru 140-12216 and 140-12235 thru 140-12236. It incorporates the D154 caliper with a 12.19" rotor. We have a prototype that has been on a 700 HP Camaro for the last eight months, which has proven to be very effective in helping to eliminate knock-back. Be safe.
      Wilwood Tech
      Wilwood Disc Brakes
      www.wilwood.com

Right from the gift horses mouth. Mine is also a 12.19.
      Todd

I'm assuming one for staggered shocks for us Second gens?
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Wilwood Tech View Post
      Wilwood is in fact bringing out the kit mentioned in Camaro Performers and it will be available next week. The part numbers range from 140-12208 thru 140-12216 and 140-12235 thru 140-12236. It incorporates the D154 caliper with a 12.19" rotor. We have a prototype that has been on a 700 HP Camaro for the last eight months, which has proven to be very effective in helping to eliminate knock-back. Be safe.
      This is excellent. I am sure this will be a nice little hit for the pro-touring crowd that take them to the track.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Quote Originally Posted by Wilwood Tech View Post
      In the article above, the Camaro appears to have a stock rotor size up front (11"?) with a D52 caliper. Will any of the kits mentioned include something larger for the front? 12.19 in the back with 11 in the front seems backwards. I really like the idea of performance brakes with 15" wheels, not that I can't appreciate a huge pizza disc behind 18s, I just prefer the "classic" look of taller sidewalls.

*EDIT* Looked at your site and I assume you could use any of the Wilwood front kits for 15" wheels. What is recommended for a street & occasional autocross car?
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com