Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Someone parked illegally in a handicap spot, I handled it protouring style

Hard to believe but I'm handicapped at the young age of 31 from Chronic pain from chronic pancreatitis. I have a intrathecal pain implant and everything. Typically I park in normal parking if there's a spot but this particular place always has screwy parking. I draw some interesting looks pulling up in a loud camaro, but you can never judge a book by its cover I guess...

I went to get some coffee and there were no spots available. I noticed this guy parked illegally in the one handicap spot without a placard so I did what comes naturally.

I took my time and took the dog to the dog park and enjoyed my coffee. The manager laughed and told me he'd make sure I didn't get towed.

Up next: Protouring Xmas tree!

Country Flag: United States
      Some people just dont care. Glad you made lemonade from lemons though!

Sweet car BTW!

Woot!!
      Life is Better Spent in the Garage
      Laine O

72 Camaro, 468, TH400, 3:42 = FUN!
      92 Camaro RS, Restored Autocross wannabe

LIVE LOVE DRIVE!

Your my hero!
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

Quote Originally Posted by absintheisfun View Post
      Your my hero!
      Mine too. I have a friend who is in a wheel chair and has a van with a lift. Seems everywhere we go all the hanicapped spots are taken especially the van accessible ones. For some reason seems like everyone has a placard and 99% don't seem to have anything visibly wrong with them. Best one is a guy jumping out a massively raised up 4x4, that takes off jogging.

Been thinking about having some bumpers stickers made up that read "Stupid, fat and/or ugly isn't a handicap, gtfo of the handicapped spots."

You Rock, I totaly support what you did. I recently lost an uncle to cancer that needed to park in handicap spot.He became so week he had to walk with a walker. When it's someone close to you it makes you realize even more the purpose & importance of the handicap parking.
      Randy(D&Z Customs LLC.)
      [email protected]
      1-262-347-9741

Quote Originally Posted by 1969CamaroRS View Post
      Mine too. I have a friend who is in a wheel chair and has a van with a lift. Seems everywhere we go all the hanicapped spots are taken especially the van accessible ones. For some reason seems like everyone has a placard and 99% don't seem to have anything visibly wrong with them. Best one is a guy jumping out a massively raised up 4x4, that takes off jogging.

Been thinking about having some bumpers stickers made up that read "Stupid, fat and/or ugly isn't a handicap, gtfo of the handicapped spots."
      Not every handicap person has visibly disabled. Your comment of stupid, fat and ugly is pretty insensitive. My active, independent wife of 30 years was diagnosed with brain cancer at age 50. The chemo, neuro radiation, and cancer took a toll on her independence, physical fitness and appearance for the last four and a half years of her life. I hope she didn't fall into your "gtfo" group.

You don't always now what or why people are disabled. Like you, I used to prejudge the use of handicap placards based on appearance, but looks can be deceiving.

Quote Originally Posted by TnBlkC230WZ View Post
      Not every handicap person has visibly disabled. Your comment of stupid, fat and ugly is pretty insensitive. My active, independent wife of 30 years was diagnosed with brain cancer at age 50. The chemo, neuro radiation, and cancer took a toll on her independence, physical fitness and appearance for the last four and a half years of her life. I hope she didn't fall into your "gtfo" group.

You don't always now what or why people are disabled. Like you, I used to prejudge the use of handicap placards based on appearance, but looks can be deceiving.
      I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Sorry if this offends you, but having grown up with friends who are really seriously permanently physically disabled my view is centered around people actually in wheelchairs (one is paraplegic and another is quadriplegic) I have frequently driven around with them and been unable to find parking due to this very issue.

The worst are those with placards that take the Van accessible spots that only people in wheelchairs should be taking (they really can't park anywhere else; the lifts in their vehicles preclude that).

IMHO disabled spots should be for only those in wheelchairs or with very serious mobility disabilities. Those are pretty visible and pretty easy to spot if you watch people for a few moments, most of the time it involves wheelchairs or other orthopedic equipment. If you are able to walk even with pain that is a far better spot than someone confined to a wheelchair who has very significant trouble navigating even with help.

There is certainly different levels of disability but when people who are nearly completely physically disabled can't get parking in handicapped spots (who they were originally designed for) then maybe its time to raise the bar back up.

Hi folks! First post here. This thread caught my attention and wanted to chime in. Thank you to all those who have inconvenienced these offenders. I have a couple stories.

I was at a local store parked at the closest accessible spot at the end of the row, as I reached down to open my door when a guy in a RAV4 came real close to sideswiping my truck and stopped in the loading zone in front of me. I got out and told him that I almost opened my door when he drove in, "oh, sorry". He was stopping there to pick up his wife and baby. As we started heading towards the store, another lady came up and parked about 8 inches from the side of my truck, half in the loading zone, and half in the driving lane. I continued in and my wife told the lady that she can't park there, she looked at her and said "What are you? the cops??" (my uncle's brother in law is the chief of police) We continued toward the store, my wife opened the door so I could get my walker in a little easier, as I'm headed towards the door, the same lady barges by me and goes though the door. She went to the head of the line, cutting in front of about 5 people, the clerk at the store told her to wait in line. She did but was very unhappy about it. My wife spoke to the store personnel and the cops were called, unfortunately, she had already left. I would love to see her again as I am now mostly in a power chair, I might have a controller malfunction and drive over her $400 shoes. My uncle, a retired cop, told me that if she was parked illegally in a loading zone, and I happened to slip and the butt end of my cane were to, say, go through her side window, she would have to make a choice. She could suck it up and pay for the window herself, or, call the cops, pay the fine and then pay for her window.

My father-in-law was confronted for parking in a handicapped space, because he didn't look disabled, so he took off his prosthetic leg. Needless to say the person apologized profusely.

I think about friends who have lost limbs in combat and refuse to use the spots

With a sister-in-law who is profoundly handicapped and wheelchair bound, I think you from the bottom of my heart.

Thats awesome..great job !!!
      Darrin Stalnecker
      1969 Camaro Convert full pt pr
      2007 Corvette Supercharged
      1968 Camaro LS1 T56
      http://www.fquick.com/dropit69

it doesn't seem so hard to be able to get a placard, but OTOH, not everyone's handicap is easily noticed.
      some places seem to have TOO many handi-spots, like home depot and lowes! like 8 or 10 spots, and usually only 1 or 2 taken.
      Keith C.

Quote Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
      it doesn't seem so hard to be able to get a placard, but OTOH, not everyone's handicap is easily noticed.
      some places seem to have TOO many handi-spots, like home depot and lowes! like 8 or 10 spots, and usually only 1 or 2 taken.
      Home Depot and places like Best Buy/Frys/Costco always have 10 spots and they are always filled. I don't bother unless I'm in severe pain. And when I'm in severe pain I usually don't leave the house. There are entirely too many placards written for BS excuses by 'compassionate' dirty doctors.

I think it's cool that the manager said that

Kudos!
      Do what's right,not what's easy
      69 Firebird
      71 Cuda
      98 Supra 6speed white APU
      98 Lexus GS400tt widebody

Elite Custom Body
      Stefan B.

That is great... Cant wait to see the pro-touring christmas tree picture.

Good for you! I like that attitude
      Fernando
      1967 PT Camaro
      Project "N-XSS"
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=70712

i would have floor jacked him out to the middle of the street....the priceless look on their faces when they come out.
      Is the bimmer is parked in the walkway?
      nice job rogue.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com