Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

emissions laws in Oregon?

Anybody from Oregon out there? I am thinking of moving to the portland area sometime in the future. I was born and have lived in Southern California (Santa Barbara) my whole life, but the cost of living has become ridiculous. I've been searching for Oregon laws on modified cars (like my '68 Camaro), without much luck. Does anybody have details about laws that apply to cars like ours? I have heard many good things about Oregon, but don't want to move somewhere that is "anti-enthusiast". In California, 1975 and older cars do not require any kind of inspection or testing. I believe Oregon is the same. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
      -Andy

Country Flag: United States
      Andy come on up!!!

Your car won't have to go threw DEQ since it's a classic...I beleive the law still states if the vehicle is 20 yrs or older it's considered a classic...never the less your 68 wont have any problems getting tags. Actually if you live in the rurle areas you don't even have to take new cars threw DEQ...my uncle lives a ways out and takes full advantage of this!!
      Tony

That's good news. Technically, in California our cars are supposed to have the original smog equipment (pcv valve, AIR pump, closed element air cleaner, emissions legal carb). There is no testing or inspection required, so the law is pretty much pointless. It's funny though, I got a ticket a while back for "excessive exhaust noise" while idling down the street. There is a new program in California that allows you to take your car to a testing center and have the noise level checked for no fee. If the car is below 95 DB (at 3000 rpm, I think), you get the ticket cleared. The guy running the test center also is the smog referee, and he told me that my carb, air cleaner and nitrous system were not legal, and that a cop could (in theory) write me a ticket for them. I doubt that any cop knows what parts are legal when it comes to old cars. They are seriously cracking down on the imports though.

awr68, I am coming up in August for a little trip to check out the sights and scene. What area do you live in?
      -Andy

I just moved to Gresham, Oregon in April. I also was wondering what the laws were around here. Good thing they only care about cars newer than 20 years old.

yeah theres no smog testing here in eugene ... dont know about portland ... but you have a classic anyways so it doesnt matter

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com