Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

I'm out of ideas, give some suggestions, please read....

I have posted this before & no one, or not many had any suggestions. Thought I would try again, I am completely out of ideas & need any suggestion.

The car is my 86 Monte SS & the problem is with the key in the OFF position I still get some voltage (.47v) at the alternator that excites the magnetic circuit/field. It buzzes and drains the battery. It is the brown wire that comes from under the dash on the drivers side. Key ON I get 12 volts as expected. Key OFF I should get 0 (zero). All this wiring is stock 86 Monte. This voltage is checked with a digital meter with the connector removed from the alternator. So it isn't feeding through the alt.

Here is what has been suggested or I have tried.

Someone suggested putting a diode in the wire between the dash & the alternator. This didn't make any sence to me but I tried it anyway. And as I expected it did nothing. Current is coming from the dash feeding the alternator. With diode one direction it made no difference, it allowed all current to the alternator, turning it around it blocked ALL current. So even with key on I had 0 volts.

I have unplugged all connectors to the steering column. Someone mentioned it could be a bad switch in the column. Unplugged - no difference, problem still exists.

So someone else mentioned it could be the gauges or the flexible circuit that feeds the gauges. So I removed all of that & problem still exists.

I need any suggestions you may think of. The only thing I can think to do is put a relay in this line that is energized when the key is ON that way completing the circuit & will have 12v at the alternator when key is ON & 0 when off.

Thanks
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com