Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrillz View Post
      http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...ition/1267559/

This video made me chuckle a little bit..... Especially at the end when Jay does the "fly by".

If only Hotchkis would come out with this kit..... Says in the middle of the video, while they're interviewing John Hotckis, that these cars only came with 0-1 deg of positive caster.... even worse that the UCA's can be swapped from one side to the other lol.

Video gives me many ideas... most of which I will probably never be able to financially accomplish though!
      I checked with Hotchkis. 2013, if ever, based upon what the customer service person told me.

I wouldnt hold my breath.
      -Dave

Project George - '66 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback

Working on interior, body and paint now.
      Forged 306/C4. Collecting turbo parts for TT setup.

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
      I checked with Hotchkis. 2013, if ever, based upon what the customer service person told me.

I wouldnt hold my breath.
      Yea man.... saw your post over at Ford Muscle. I guess it's gonna be the hard way for us then.

Might have to adapt some circle track arms like you've done, or have some made somewhere.
      JC Scott

I need some help..... with some decisions.....

I was hoping to get some input from people on this site as to what they think would be the best course of action for the car. I might have to start a new thread with just my question to get the most replies, but here goes....

There is a thread floating around talking about the snowball effect with their car. Mine is the opposite. I think my snowball may be melting away.

Here is my delima: When I first started planning for the project, I was expecting to do custom everything because I knew that was the only way that the car would end up exactly how I wanted it. But now I realize that I may never even finish this project (or afford) before my time expires lol. I want to drive the car... I want to enjoy the car, I want my family to enjoy the car, I want my kids to enjoy the car (Lord willing I have kids).... If everything on the car has to be 100% made from scratch, then it is going to take me a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGGGGG time to even get the car on the road.....

So here's the big money question.... What should I do?

1. Go all out and do it exactly the way it should be completed aka big money?

2. Or half ass it and try to enjoy the car as much as possible aka nice drive type?
      JC Scott

I need some help..... with some decisions.....

I was hoping to get some input from people on this site as to what they think would be the best course of action for the car. I might have to start a new thread with just my question to get the most replies, but here goes....

There is a thread floating around talking about the snowball effect with their car. Mine is the opposite. I think my snowball may be melting away.

Here is my delima: When I first started planning for the project, I was expecting to do custom everything because I knew that was the only way that the car would end up exactly how I wanted it. But now I realize that I may never even finish this project (or afford) before my time expires lol. I want to drive the car... I want to enjoy the car, I want my family to enjoy the car, I want my kids to enjoy the car (Lord willing I have kids).... If everything on the car has to be 100% made from scratch, then it is going to take me a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGGGGG time to even get the car on the road.....

So here's the big money question.... What should I do?

1. Go all out and do it exactly the way it should be completed aka big money?

2. Or half ass it and try to enjoy the car as much as possible aka nice drive type?
      you dont have to spend ridiculous money to have fun. to have fun, you need to be able to drive it. not everything has to be done done done for you to drive it. Make some concessions and upgrade as time and budget permit.

My car will be done for south of 18K. for my money, i'll have a car that handles oodles better than stock, stops way better than stock, has 300HP over stock, that looks close to how i'd want it ideally and is far safer than stock.

When i have the cash or the inclination, sure i'll throw rack and pinion, custom suspension, stereos, big turbos, 34 piston brakes on it, etc. But for now, I'll be focused on getting it operable and safe, then driving it as much as i can.
      -Dave

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

My problem is it makes me absolutely SICK to do things twice..... lol

I would rather build what I want the first time around...

Does that justify spending 25k on a ................................................ga laxie lol
      JC Scott

its worth nothing if it never brings you joy.

therefore, examine your definition of joy.
      is joy perfection, the absolute, of what is planned in your head?
      or is joy the time spent with family, twisting roads, and making new relationships with something less than perfect?
      is joy for you in the jorney, or in the destination?

(wow, that was really pretty deep. sorry bout that)

michael
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Do what you have been doing... What has been done so far is pretty good. Finish the brakes. Does it still run and drive? Motor and transmission? If so get it to where you can drive it and take it to some cruises. Hit the local Sonic for cruise in night. Have fun with it while you get the next round of parts bought for it. Mine is so far from road worthy it sucks. I am just piling parts right now. Engine, transmission, donor car, brakes and all the stuff needed to go EFI... My next big hurdle is to get the engin to the machine shop. think 408 with 550HP! Mmmmmm, it's going to be FUN to cruise it!

You have a picture in your head and on paper and it looks good.

Keep at it and before you know it the car will be complete.
      Matt
      2015 Mustang PP GT
      Resto-Mod Coyote powered 1964 Fairlane 2 door post!

i won't ever do things twice .

The key thing is, you start on the car you want to keep. As you UPGRADE, you collect those parts.

Then down the line, when you look at your collection of gently used parts left from UPGRADING, you realize, bringing that 61 falcon wagon home and using your collection of parts on it to turn it into a daily or a track rat is COMPLETELY justified.

At least thats what i keep telling myself

Driving = enjoyment to me on a larger scale that fabricating and perfection. Classic cars that are modified are NEVER done. Might as well drive the damn thing so you know what you want and need to upgrade.
      -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dusterbd13 View Post
      its worth nothing if it never brings you joy.

therefore, examine your definition of joy.
      is joy perfection, the absolute, of what is planned in your head?
      or is joy the time spent with family, twisting roads, and making new relationships with something less than perfect?
      is joy for you in the jorney, or in the destination?

(wow, that was really pretty deep. sorry bout that)

michael
      Wow dude.... that was deep for sure!

My joy is definitely in the journey, but I would like to make the journey in a very road worthy car though. Thank you for the insight!
      JC Scott

ive told myself that lie before. repeatedly.
      look at my build thread, im doing a lot of things twice. like interior, weatherstripping, engine tuning, suspension stuff, brake stuff, and soon to do electrical when i go efi.

our abilities change, our tastes change, the level of support for a platform changes, etc. thats when we wind up doing something twice. or three times.

michael
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Quote Originally Posted by 85coupe50 View Post
      Do what you have been doing... What has been done so far is pretty good. Finish the brakes. Does it still run and drive? Motor and transmission? If so get it to where you can drive it and take it to some cruises. Hit the local Sonic for cruise in night. Have fun with it while you get the next round of parts bought for it. Mine is so far from road worthy it sucks. I am just piling parts right now. Engine, transmission, donor car, brakes and all the stuff needed to go EFI... My next big hurdle is to get the engin to the machine shop. think 408 with 550HP! Mmmmmm, it's going to be FUN to cruise it!

You have a picture in your head and on paper and it looks good.

Keep at it and before you know it the car will be complete.
      Thank you for the vote of confidence. Car should still run and drive..... it hasn't been cranked in over two years though. It really needs alot to be "reliable" (used very loosely). The car was a daily driver from 1965 up to about 2001 or so, so EVERYTHING is dry-rotted and worn slam out. So do I start replacing stuff and get it in good working order, or do I just disassemble the whole car and go ahead and start working on upgrades?
      JC Scott

The key thing is, you start on the car you want to keep. As you UPGRADE, you collect those parts.

Then down the line, when you look at your collection of gently used parts left from UPGRADING, you realize, bringing that 61 falcon wagon home and using your collection of parts on it to turn it into a daily or a track rat is COMPLETELY justified.

At least thats what i keep telling myself

Driving = enjoyment to me on a larger scale that fabricating and perfection. Classic cars that are modified are NEVER done. Might as well drive the damn thing so you know what you want and need to upgrade.
      I agree. Driving for me IS the ultimate enjoyment of a vehicle. But at the end of the drive, will I be doubting my build if I didn't put forth 100% to make the car the best that it can be (within reason of course lol)
      JC Scott

our abilities change, our tastes change, the level of support for a platform changes, etc. thats when we wind up doing something twice. or three times.

michael
      This is basically what is melting my snowball..... lol

Do I build the Galaxie into the exact car I want? or build it quick enough to enjoy it for as long as possible and possibly build another "track rat" to beat on?
      JC Scott

I wrestled with this question for a long time. I did quite a few incremental upgrades on my previous car, redoing some things several times because I thought to myself, "I didn't take that far enough.". In the end, it cost me more money and I sold the previous parts to pay for the new ones.

For my new build, I said damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, I'm going to try to take it all the way to my ultimate version of the car the first time through.

If I really feel the need to have something fun to drive, I'll buy something to beat on to scratch the itch until the other one is "done". For me, that is still cheaper than buying the same types of parts two or three times.

I agree. Driving for me IS the ultimate enjoyment of a vehicle. But at the end of the drive, will I be doubting my build if I didn't put forth 100% to make the car the best that it can be (within reason of course lol)
      you dont have to go 100% all at once man. I'll put it to you this way. When i had my control arm dilemma, I had a 2008 mustang front half teed up and ready to come home with me. I was ready to build my own frame, graft in the front suspension and probably put the car down hard for a year to do it. Then I stopped and thought about it. I could find a solution for under $200 that would get me 60% of the front suspension that i wanted and have the time to dive into the motor, other suspension, trans, safety, wiring, etc. I chose to slap some arms on this pig and carry on, fully knowing that 100% would have been me going at the frame. someday i may build a new chassis for it, but for now, that juice wasnt worth the squeeze of not driving the car for 3 + years.

ive told myself that lie before. repeatedly.
      look at my build thread, im doing a lot of things twice. like interior, weatherstripping, engine tuning, suspension stuff, brake stuff, and soon to do electrical when i go efi.

michael
      i agree, i was dancing around the fact that you never do things once on a car like these, no matter what your intention. I say get it on the road and if you do something over later, great! but don't forego the enjoyment of having it on the road and trackable in the near game, to push towards the far game. everyone has seen these grand build plans that are started get shot in the butt and never finished because they were far too intense of an undertaking. I'll take a car with 60-70% of the chops and 500% of the drive time over the opposite.

This is basically what is melting my snowball..... lol

Do I build the Galaxie into the exact car I want? or build it quick enough to enjoy it for as long as possible and possibly build another "track rat" to beat on?
      whats worth more? a garage trophy that doesnt run or drive for 3-4-5-10? years? or most of the same car on the road for the same 10 years, that takes a powder now and again when it's owner has the scratch to add the primo parts that he originally wanted here and there?

I also fully appreciate the progression of starting out more basic and improving where you want to here and there, then looking back at the sheer transformation once you get farther down the road.

i for one am not of the same ilk as DSE or something where i can bust out a full on build in under a year ( my budget, time and wife do not permit it! )
      -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by feeble View Post
      I wrestled with this question for a long time. I did quite a few incremental upgrades on my previous car, redoing some things several times because I thought to myself, "I didn't take that far enough.". In the end, it cost me more money and I sold the previous parts to pay for the new ones.

For my new build, I said damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, I'm going to try to take it all the way to my ultimate version of the car the first time through.

If I really feel the need to have something fun to drive, I'll buy something to beat on to scratch the itch until the other one is "done". For me, that is still cheaper than buying the same types of parts two or three times.
      This is exactly what I don't want to end up doing lol

you dont have to go 100% all at once man. I'll put it to you this way. When i had my control arm dilemma, I had a 2008 mustang front half teed up and ready to come home with me. I was ready to build my own frame, graft in the front suspension and probably put the car down hard for a year to do it. Then I stopped and thought about it. I could find a solution for under $200 that would get me 60% of the front suspension that i wanted and have the time to dive into the motor, other suspension, trans, safety, wiring, etc. I chose to slap some arms on this pig and carry on, fully knowing that 100% would have been me going at the frame. someday i may build a new chassis for it, but for now, that juice wasnt worth the squeeze of not driving the car for 3 + years.
      This is a perfect example! Thanks Dave! I guess what I have to figure out is: Do I test and tune the stock frame with adjustable front and rear arms and an extended panhard? or leave it stock and plan on grafting an aftermarket front frame?

I think y'all may have figured out that the suspension/designing a suspension scares the crap out of me lol. It is the main focus for this conversation basically....

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekiller
      everyone has seen these grand build plans that are started get shot in the butt and never finished because they were far too intense of an undertaking. I'll take a car with 60-70% of the chops and 500% of the drive time over the opposite.
      Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekiller
      whats worth more? a garage trophy that doesnt run or drive for 3-4-5-10? years? or most of the same car on the road for the same 10 years, that takes a powder now and again when it's owner has the scratch to add the primo parts that he originally wanted here and there?

I also fully appreciate the progression of starting out more basic and improving where you want to here and there, then looking back at the sheer transformation once you get farther down the road.

i for one am not of the same ilk as DSE or something where i can bust out a full on build in under a year ( my budget, time and wife do not permit it! )
      Quit it.... lol My snowball is rolling back up the hill and getting smaller!
      JC Scott

How much potential do the Front and Rear suspensions of these cars have? What is their limit? I don't know if these questions have ever been answered which makes it extremely difficult.....

Let's face it, anybody can build a '69 Camaro and have it handle beautifully..... it has been done many many many many times. But there are no "kits" for these cars, no proven effective systems....

So do you pioneer the market and push the stock design and configuration to the limit, or install a system that you know will work very very well?

Let's face it, I want the car to handle well.... I don't want to throw gobs of hard earned money at something that doesn't have the potential....
      JC Scott

How much potential do the Front and Rear suspensions of these cars have? What is their limit? I don't know if these questions have ever been answered which makes it extremely difficult.....

Let's face it, anybody can build a '69 Camaro and have it handle beautifully..... it has been done many many many many times. But there are no "kits" for these cars, no proven effective systems....

So do you pioneer the market and push the stock design and configuration to the limit, or install a system that you know will work very very well?

Let's face it, I want the car to handle well.... I don't want to throw gobs of hard earned money at something that doesn't have the potential....
      Nascar seemed to think they did pretty well.

The car just wont ever handle like a falcon with a tweeked out kit. Without the aftermarket support, concessions need to be made.

The rear design leaves a little to be desired, but you can get far enough with it to have fun at a pro-touring event.

The front suspension design also leaves a bit to be desired. Caster and camber will always be chased with it. the axises arent awful. I'll bet you can get it to the point that its no worse off that a moderately priced mustang 2 subframe setup for far less cash.

The frames need stiffening. Extra cross members will be your friend. i don't know if you've ever seen the frame out from under your car on its own, but its a wet noodle.

The ass end of the car has a TON of room to build a beefy swaybar setup if you run side exit exhaust.

As for front swaybars, the addco ones are beefy and cheap! The center mounts need reinforcing for heavy cornering though.

RCD makes shocks, springs are your choice. Just about any motor in the world will fit in the monster engine bay ( as long as you dont try to use a canton oil pan, like me!)

you have your brakes sorted ( which I am still insanely jealous of)

you can fit a 295 rear tire on these pigs with the right backspacing.

you can run a 255 or 265 front tire if you choose the right backspacing.

I've also been measuring and plotting on rack and pinion for the car. a mustang system can be made to fit. you'll just need to make your own brackets.

These cars are still relatively cheap. They are a prime target for a lower buck PT build. They'll eventually get aftermarket support too, just be patient.

a galaxie is going to be some trial and error. it is a harder car to build than more common PT rides. its a big momma too, so it's like trying to teach a hippo to ballet dance, but guess what? walt disney did it! so start wishing on a star and put the wrench time in.

you can drop some weight with fiberglass bumpers and a fiberglass hood from crites, but you'll have to deal with the thunderbolt bubble.

me personally? I'd rather not have the best of everything and have to one off most of it, and get the car out to events. you cant have fun if you can't run what ya brung!
      -Dave

Country Flag: Canada
      I found the best way to keep your project moving along is to do it in steps. This way it is not down for extended periods. For example, do just the rear suspension. Buy all the parts first, have them ready then tackle the work. That way hopefully it will only be down a few days (or months ) My Falcon has taken much longer then expected but I have 4 cars so when I get tired of one project I will work on something else for awhile. I have a 56 Ford and I follow my above rules with it. I don't plan any large changes. Yes I had to replace all the factory bushing this summer which one day I will replace with a different front clip but you have to ask yourself, do you want to look at your car for 10 years or drive it?
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - Holy cow - what a ride!!!
      See my build

Jason

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...ition/1267559/

This video made me chuckle a little bit..... Especially at the end when Jay does the "fly by".

If only Hotchkis would come out with this kit..... Says in the middle of the video, while they're interviewing John Hotckis, that these cars only came with 0-1 deg of positive caster.... even worse that the UCA's can be swapped from one side to the other lol.

Video gives me many ideas... most of which I will probably never be able to financially accomplish though!

JC – That’s a cool video. Jay and his garage put some amazing time and effort into that ’66 Galaxie. The Galaxie turned out awesome. We’ve always been into big iron. In fact we’re coming out with some more early Impala parts in the near future.
      This is a good place to ask… Is there a market for the parts we fabricated for Jay’s ’66?
      Hotchkis Sport Suspension
      Toll Free: 877-466-7655

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com