Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

New stock LCAs???

I am working on my front suspension now. The following is the basics of my set up:

ATX spindle
      Hotchkis coils
      DSE UCA

I want to stay with stock lowers with delrin bushing but don't know if I should buy new stock lowers or just go with my originals. Please give opinions. Also need shock suggestions. I am leaning toward the Koni Classics but don't know how they will work with the drop. BTW car is 69 RS

I have recently asked similar questions and will relay what I have learned, however there are many on the site that are extremely knowledgeable that I'm sure will chime in.

Just my .02 but I would stick with the stock UCA as well as the lower, considering they are both still in good shape just for the cost savings. Just have them sandblasted and paint em or powdercoat them and go with global west DelALum upper and lower bushing kits with moog replacement balljoints and Global's offset upper shafts. Save your money on the DSE UCA and go with the DSE 2" front drop springs and Koni classics they recommend with there 2" springs. DSE gets the konis valved to match their front springs and guarantees a good ride with excellent handling over stock, rather than the hotchkis springs which are prone to a rough ride. This combined with the ATX spindle should make a great package, along with possibly the addition of the guldstrand mod.
      71' Nova - LY6, T56

The lowers you have now will be fine.
      Brian

I have an unlimited budget. That bad part is I have already used it up.

Isn't the question should he replace his very old OE arms with new oe arms?

"if I should buy new stock lowers or just go with my originals. "
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

I always like to have new pieces in terms of suspension. During the life of an LCA, it endures a lot of stress, particularly around the LBJ. I have seen all too often when the LCA has failed at this point. This is what I consider a common problem with reusing some old pieces. Again, this is just my experience, but have seen on many friends Chevys break around the LBJ and found a crack in one of my own once. This crack combined with prior experience led me to justify the cost of the GW LCAs. My advice, if the LCAs you have have never been rebuilt (or had new LBJs installed), you should be fine. Otherwise, go new.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Water frequently stands in the LCA at the spring seat. This area is prone to severe rust. If it's not severely rusted and it's not bent, the suggestions above make good sense. Sandblasting cleans them up nicely.

I chose Bilstein shocks in a very similar setup based on Tyler's recommendation, but you're using different springs.

Terry
      Terry Hancock
      First + Fourth - strowed everywhere
      And a Fifth!

Thanks, should I change now??

Thanks for the feedback guys. I already have all of the parts mentioned but it is more important to me to get it right the first time than to be sorry. Do you really think the ride is that much better with the DSE coils over the Hotchkis? If so, I want to know now so I can get the DSE springs to me in time for the beginning of July when I will be trying to get my subframe put togeter.

Yes, my question was should I get new stock LCAs. They don't seem to be warped or anything but I will need to take a closer look after I get them blasted. I am going to be going with the DSE Lower bushings.

Thanks again for all of your input. I read 1,000X more than I post on here but have been lucky to get great advice when I do pipe up.

Troy

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com