Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ford boys, fuel tank questions

Wasn't sure where to put this, so thought it would work here.

One of the problems with my project has been, where to stick the fuel tank? I happened across a link that showed that Mercedes uses a saddle tank, and further research shows that 2015+ Mustangs have a 16 gallon saddle tank that rides over the driveshaft. I think this will solve my biggest problems with a tank.

SO, the questions are, have any issues with the tanks working correctly? I understand there's several methods for transferring fuel from one side of the saddle to the other. Also, any issues with higher pressure/volume fuel pumps? Figuring it'll be a lot easier to get a high pressure/volume pump for a Mustang than a Mercedes as well. I'd like to know if there are any inherent problems with this possible solution. I'd already planned on cutting an access port in the bed of my truck for pump access so cutting two access ports would not be a problem. I also already planned on doing a driveshaft loop.

2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Country Flag: Netherlands
      SO, the questions are, have any issues with the tanks working correctly? I understand there's several methods for transferring fuel from one side of the saddle to the other.
      You don't need a high pressure pump for the transfer function. The saddle tank like the Ford, Jaguar or Mercedes are actually 2 tanks where the first tank gets filled (topped off) by the second tank and keeps doing it till the 2e tank is empty. Ford and Jaguar use a vacuum system to draw fuel out of the second tank for most of there saddle tanks. Only in high HP applications they use a small fuel pump to transfer the fuel to the fitst tank that runs constantly till the 2e tank is empty.

Your problem wil be the measurement of the fuel level as you have 2 fuel tanks where first the second tank fuel level wil go from full to half full en the first tank fuel level that goes from half full to empty. That's why you have 2 fuel level sensors in the tank. Normally the conversion from 2 fuel level signals to 1 signal for the gauge is done by a ecu or a signal processor. I havent seen a aftermarket fuel gauge that can handle this. Its doesn't mean they don't exist.
      Last edited by capri v8 driver; 1 Week Ago at 10:25 PM. Reason: adding info
      Greets Paul.

'71 ford capri mk1 427 v8.
      '65 ford mustang 5.0 efi aod, running on LPG. Sold now.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com