• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

SCCA Brings Back the CAM Challenge

Name:  CAM Challenge Graphic.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  51.8 KB

After a lot of debate about CAM (Classic American Muscle) rules (and forgive me, but those SCCA guys LOVE to debate rules). Instead of showing up and having a good time without a bible of what you can and cannot have on your car, there had to be some additions to level-set some of the fairness between the three CAM Classes. A few (or more) changes have been instituted for 2016 and they're back at it in four regions this year. While Speedway won't be the marquis sponsor, several other companies have stepped up to take their place.
      2016 CAM handout - Final 11-3-15.pdf

As a point of reference, I ran the Midwest event called CAM Challenge East - in Peru Indiana. I can honestly say it was probably the most fun I had all year. The track was big, wide open and fast! The people were GREAT, the runs were plenty and the fun was big. Even when the rain came in for the final rounds, it was a blast seeing how fast the champs could go on a wet, uneven airport tarmac.

What I look for in a successful autocross event:
      Did I get enough runs for my money?
      Was the event well organized?
      Did the tech inspection, registration, etc go hassle free?
      Is the pit well managed to maximize everyone's run time?
      Did I have fun with the people who attended?
      Was there a fun and interesting group of cars and drivers?
      Did I like the course?

I can check yes for all of the above when it comes to the CAM Challenge. If you don't like SCCA, you will probably like the CAM challenge -- even though the SCCA name is on the logo.