Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

LS 72 Datsun 240Z Rear Differential/Suspension

Hi Pro-Touring
      I am a few weeks into building my 1972 Datsun 240Z. My current intentions are to do an Ls swap, probably the 6.0 lq4. I am starting in the back and working forward, due to the fact that this car does not have very much space to work with. I have about 64" from fender to fender of clearance. I am looking at a custom 9-inch housing with axles from Strange Engineering. Friends of mine have had nothing but good things to say about Strange and have pointed me in that direction. I am wanting to do a 3-link setup, as this car does not have rear seats and plenty of trunk room. Also, I want a good mix of track performance as well as driveablity. Any tips or advice about going with this setup. This is my first build and any help would be appreciated. I am mainly interested in the 9 inch for its durability.
      Name:  image (8).jpg
Views: 23806
Size:  186.1 KB
      Here is the original rear just for comparison.
      Name:  image (7).jpg
Views: 4374
Size:  217.8 KB
      I had a spare 10-bolt that I used as somewhat of a mockup. I know it isn't nearly as big as the 9-inch but it is a close as i could get. I will most likely have to notch the frame rail to get my desired ride height with the 9-inch. The spare tire well will be removed and a fuel cell used in the trunk to provide clearance for a panhard bar and swaybar.
      Name:  image (6).jpg
Views: 5966
Size:  187.3 KB
      Here is the setup in the rear trunk area. I was thinking I could raise the rear portion of the center console and tie the upper link into that.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com