Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

OG Racing: Lets Talk about Seats.

Does anyone have any questions regarding seats? many people here are starting to go road racing. I can't encourage you enough to have a safe seat.

What about reclining seats on the track. I see a lot of people using them with 5 point harnesses. There's been a debate on using them before but no distinctive answer. I'm personally going to be using a factory DOT approved reclining Recaro on my Camaro. I wanted a comfortable seat, yet something with a safety rating. Any issues using reclining seats on the track?
      Ahmad B.

OG Racing: Lets Talk about Seats.

What's better...

Running no anti-sub belt (4 PT harness) or running the anti-sub belt over the front of the seat bottom (no hole in the seat).

Thx.

We have been looking at seats for 2 months for my sons c-10.The factory bench seat is not going to cut it, way unsafe and uneasy feeling in a corner. The issues I am having is with it having a mild chop and laid back windshield I can not use a seat that is super tall,then without moving the steering column towards the center It can not have a giant flare at the shoulders. Then the big issue is I have a 38 inch waist and getting bigger. And last I am 6 foot 3 inches tall and with it being a truck I need a seat with not a lot of recline so that I can sit as far back as possible. Any suggestions on what to run in my situation? I am thinking Kirkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by OG_Racing View Post
      Does anyone have any questions regarding seats? many people here are starting to go road racing. I can't encourage you enough to have a safe seat.
      Agreed !

My biggest issue is finding a vendor that has them in stock to sit in and test. Hard to pull the trigger on a grand worth of seats and brackets only to find I don't think they are comfortable... That's why I currently have seats from a wrecked Hyundai Tiberon, was able to sit in them before purchase.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      My biggest issue is finding a vendor that has them in stock to sit in and test. Hard to pull the trigger on a grand worth of seats and brackets only to find I don't think they are comfortable... That's why I currently have seats from a wrecked Hyundai Tiberon, was able to sit in them before purchase.

Nick send us a PM. we can tell you where our closest OG racing dealer is.

It seems like a lot of us use our cars primarily on the street and mix in a little track time here and there, so the large challenge is to find a seat that is safe to use with a harness but also daily driver friendly. Mix in access to the rear seat for some, reclining for others, and last...budget friendly and seat shopping gets very difficult very fast.

I spent a lot of time grafting late model GTO seats into my car to replace the horrible factory seats...and they are great for daily driving aspects. My problem now is they are not harness friendly. My shoulders are at least 5 inches above the seat back so add on harnesses like the schroth rally are not a good option for these. Also there is no slot for submarine belts...

So replace those with a harness friendly seat I'm looking at a very high dollar Corbeau, Recarro or the like if I want to retain some of the comfort while adding in the harness factor. I'm looking for any other options for this type of seat if you have any ideas... I've leaned toward adding at least a 4 point roll bar to accommodate a proper harness attachment point, but not until I come up with a good seat option to use at the same time.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

double post
      Last edited by OG_Racing; 06-26-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      It seems like a lot of us use our cars primarily on the street and mix in a little track time here and there, so the large challenge is to find a seat that is safe to use with a harness but also daily driver friendly. Mix in access to the rear seat for some, reclining for others, and last...budget friendly and seat shopping gets very difficult very fast.

I spent a lot of time grafting late model GTO seats into my car to replace the horrible factory seats...and they are great for daily driving aspects. My problem now is they are not harness friendly. My shoulders are at least 5 inches above the seat back so add on harnesses like the schroth rally are not a good option for these. Also there is no slot for submarine belts...

So replace those with a harness friendly seat I'm looking at a very high dollar Corbeau, Recarro or the like if I want to retain some of the comfort while adding in the harness factor. I'm looking for any other options for this type of seat if you have any ideas... I've leaned toward adding at least a 4 point roll bar to accommodate a proper harness attachment point, but not until I come up with a good seat option to use at the same time.

Finding a seat that is Safe and easy to into and out of is a real challenge. we work many HPDE events. most of the people there use a factory or aftermarket reclinable seat. Every crash we have witnessed the seat snaps in half. Look threw coparts crashed cars. many of the seat backs failed upon impact. Nothing is safer than a properly mounted FIA seat. Some can be hard to get into and out of. Recently we have started selling OMP. they make an inexpensive reclinable seat called the Style. It like any oem seat needs to be braced securely.
      **WARNING** DO not use a brace like this oneName:  ioport_brace.gif
Views: 1787
Size:  76.1 KB on a tube frame or aluminum seat. We have had reports from rear impacts of them breaking the spinal cord.

THE OMP style is an inexpensive option as it come with the previsions for a 5-6 point harness. and retails for under $400. this will need to be braced properly to insure safety. please talk to your cage builder about how to brace it.
      Name:  STYLEbig.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  26.3 KB

A excellent FIA rated seat is the SPARCO Evo line. for years this has been the daddy when it comes to street driven track cars. the lower sides make it much easier to get into or out of. Because of the FIA rating you wont need to to be braced.
      Name:  evo_2012_grp_nr-web_3.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  52.9 KB

click here to see the line up of EVO seats in different sizes.
      Last edited by OG_Racing; 06-26-2014 at 07:27 AM.

What are some options for track worthy seat sliders? Most of the ones I've seen/used are nothing more than thin wall mild steel C channel with some notches and a spring sliding on top of another C channel that's bolted to the floor boards. In a crash I can see the sliders coming apart.

The seats in my Chevelle are solid mounted so anyone shorter (wife) than me, can't fit properly or reach the pedals. A sturdy safe seat slider would be nice to have.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

these Sparco sliders are the ones we send out. we have sold hundreds of them. they've been crashed quite a bit and they do hold up well. they are meant to fit with sparco side mounts and seat base. Some fabrication might be needed to make them fit into a chavelle.

http://www.ogracing.com/sparco-seat-slide-mount-kit

Name:  752-sparco-seat-slide-mount-kit.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  27.4 KB

these Sparco sliders are the ones we send out. we have sold hundreds of them. they've been crashed quite a bit and they do hold up well. they are meant to fit with sparco side mounts and seat base. Some fabrication might be needed to make them fit into a chavelle.

http://www.ogracing.com/sparco-seat-slide-mount-kit

Name:  752-sparco-seat-slide-mount-kit.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  27.4 KB
      I'm currently using those sliders in my El Camino and C10. I was hoping for something sturdier.
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Could you show us some examples of how a properly braces reclining seat should be mounted?
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      Could you show us some examples of how a properly braces reclining seat should be mounted?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F7hlz0DKXk

It needs to braced at the shoulder level, across the shoulders. not at the base of the neck. the Race tech video gives a good example

Quote Originally Posted by Yelcamino View Post
      I'm currently using those sliders in my El Camino and C10. I was hoping for something sturdier.
      what kind of seats are you mounting them to?

That youtube video shows a Racetech seat that appears to have a built in provision for attaching the back brace. Do you have any pictures of a Sparco EVO with a similar back brace installed?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I live in Fredericksburg, VA. so OG Racing would be my closest dealer. I installed a set of the inexpensive Cipher seats in Dust Off which fit me just fine. The problem is my wife has had hip replacement surgery and the Cipher seats are too narrow for her. The side bolsters put too much pressure on her hip joint. I am currently in the market for wider seats but I have to to be able to set in them, or rather my wife has be able to set in them. Do you sell Corbeau seats?
      we do sell corbeau but we don't stock it, we do stock OMP, SPARCO, KIRKEY, and more. if you're close to the warehouse come on by. you can sit in every seat we currently stock. we do have allot of seats for her to try out.

Steve,

I live in Ashburn and have a set of Corbeau TRS black leather seats you could try for fit if you'd like. Just hit me up offline if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by fxdlryan View Post
      Steve,

I live in Ashburn and have a set of Corbeau TRS black leather seats you could try for fit if you'd like. Just hit me up offline if you're interested.
      GOing to a local race is the best way to try out seats. there will be a higher quantity of seats available to you than any dealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F7hlz0DKXk

what kind of seats are you mounting them to?
      A pair of aluminum Kirkey road race seats I purchased from you. The driver seat is currently solid mounted to the cage structure and positioned correctly for me. My wife can't reach the pedals from my seating position which is why I'd like to add sliders.
      Last edited by Yelcamino; 07-08-2014 at 03:48 AM.
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com