Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1968 Camaro Double DIN Install

Looking for ideas of 1968 camaro with custom double din, ipad or ipad mini installed

Please post what you have done.

thanks

no postings shows that it doesn't work

I've seen several. It involves serious mods to the dash and lots of metal fab for it to look right. Look through readers rides on lat-g website

I've considered all kinds of options for my '68 Firebird dash. The best solution I've come up with is installing a Retrosound bluetooth radio and a non-permanent mount for an Ipad or other tablet. You would be able to play video on the screen, audio via the bluetooth, and be able to remove everything for an original look. That's my plan, anyway.

At the risk of sounding like a complete dummy, what's a DIN or double DIN?

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      At the risk of sounding like a complete dummy, what's a DIN or double DIN?

The size (height) of the radio. Single DIN if your typical small aftermarket radio, double DIN is the same width but twice as tall.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Thank you Nick..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by CKreations View Post
      no postings shows that it doesn't work
      I think it's more of the fact that people on here aren't very interested in doing that sort of mod.

DD68SS,

i've seen a lot of installs where they mount it below the dash in a custom center console. Another option is to go with a nexus 7 and root the device. this makes it more car friendly (it will enable you to use a usb dac for better sound quality as well as initiate start up and shut down based on your ignition status. Another option is a car pc which will allow various sizes of screen that may fit better then a double din unit... or even allows you to go larger
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Din is 7 inches by 2
      Double dine is 7 by 4

DD68SS

I wanted a double din and saw all of these extravagant consoles form fitted, welded, up, etc. and almost did a single din. Then I found a double din that had an angled face on it. I made custom brackets, bought a radio face plate with no cut outs, cut out the radio, and then wrapped the face plate in leather (leather isnt required ).

Now, I have vintage air controls so I was able to remove the heater sliders. if you PM your email, I can send you pics. Not sure how to post on here.

See if these pics come through....
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Finished pic looks great! Any more photos? Also on an unrelated note, do you have a source for the AC outlets that you used in the middle? Thanks, Scott
      Scott Atkinson
      68 Camaro SS in progress
      Las Vegas, NV / Redondo Beach, CA

Here are the vents. They make billet ones, but I went cheap. I have a vintage air Y pipe splitting them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vt...FVFp7AodxmcAbg

Here are the vents. I think Southern Air makes billet ones, but I went with the cheap plastic ones from VA...which are fine. I have a vintage air Y pipe splitting them.

I actually have my console loose and the radio face plate loose as I needed to install the Viper 5904 and put the unit between the gauges and the radio, so if you need other pictures of the radio, let me know. I have the new Gen IV Vintage air box so it uses motors to open the vents so I was able to go with their 3 knob controller (you can see it below the radio mounted into the console).
      Quote Originally Posted by jljude View Post
      Here are the vents. I think Southern Air makes billet ones, but I went with the cheap plastic ones from VA...which are fine. I have a vintage air Y pipe splitting them.

If you don't mind me asking, what seats are those?

Carl Wilson

I don't mind at all. A lot of guys on this and other forums helped me, so I enjoy helping others.

2008 Corvette seats. Power and heated (all working - this was a trial and error to understand how to get working). I kep the main seat plate, but cut slots in it to allow the tracks/motor to sit low and not rub (I'm 6'4" with plenty of headroom). The front bracket was cut in half and left with the L shape - the vertical piece was left. I then welded a nut inside of the vertical face of the seat plate in the car and just ran bolts in it. For the rear, I removed the brackets and welded in a small steel bracket w/ a nut to run allen bolts through.

what did you do for the rear seat ?

I don't mind at all. A lot of guys on this and other forums helped me, so I enjoy helping others.

2008 Corvette seats. Power and heated (all working - this was a trial and error to understand how to get working). I kep the main seat plate, but cut slots in it to allow the tracks/motor to sit low and not rub (I'm 6'4" with plenty of headroom). The front bracket was cut in half and left with the L shape - the vertical piece was left. I then welded a nut inside of the vertical face of the seat plate in the car and just ran bolts in it. For the rear, I removed the brackets and welded in a small steel bracket w/ a nut to run allen bolts through.

My Dash

Quote Originally Posted by DD68SS View Post
      Looking for ideas of 1968 camaro with custom double din, ipad or ipad mini installed

Please post what you have done.

thanks
      Single DIN with 7" downward projecting display, hay who smokes anymore anyway, just covers the ash tray and is out of the way of the shift, I've not finished the AC duct work on the console so you can still see wires inside the vents.

I have been thinking about this a lot also. That looks good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com