Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Pacific Thunder on the final stretch

Hi again. I am going to try and update here as "Thunder" gets close to completion.

The leaf springs have settled in as I've been driving it. I actually ordered and installed a slightly smaller tire (.9" diameter) which will lower the front 1/2" then I took out the 1" rubber coil spring spacer which should drop the front a further 3/4"

I had to have the spacer in there to prevent the tires from touching the fender lips on turns.

The car sat level, but looked lower on the back, so it should have a nice back to front rake when back together.

I spent a lot of time modding the magnaflow exhaust kit and trans crossmember to tuck the pipes up nice and tight. This should allow for safe speed bump crossing etc.

While this is going on the toploader is coming out and a TKO is going in (1.5 -2 weeks 'till I get it.) I have "adjusted" the transmission tunnel, and will be welding the last of it tonight, hopefully.

Going low means I want to have the tranny up in the right position, not dragging on a funky angle, or at risk of hitting.

At the same time all this is going on, the 428 is out of the car again. We are swapping camshafts. Did a long night last night with my engine builder, dissasembling and checking the engine.

Looks like we have 3 bad valve seals and a failing intake gasket otherwise mechanically looks good.

Hope to have the engine ready for a camshaft break in by the weekend.

Also have a new aluminum rad (engine running very warm) which is going to go in with the rest of the mechanical parts.

I'm glad in one way that I did not get the car in full paint, because of all the "fun" stuff that has had to go on to get this thing perfect mechaincally.

Love driving it. Can't wait to get it back on the road!

Attached Images Attached Images              

Country Flag: United States
      Good looking car.
      70 Cougar
      Aces Kill shot efi
      Turbocharged 5.0 430hp 488tq
      Tremec 3550
      13" Cobra brakes
      Unisteer Manual rack

Nice!! I guess you are going with blue w/ white stripes??
      1968 F100 sb full vic chassis swap
      1965 Mustang coupe 347 5 spd cheap touring SOLD
      2003 Porsche 996 Outlaw LS2 swap SOLD
      1992 Lexus SC400 daily SOLD
      1966 Porsche 912 Outlaw SOLD
      1968 Ford F-100 sb SOLD

Nice project!

Cam change

The cam that was initially in the 428 was really not living up to expectations (Comp XE262H) good power, good torque, was smooth up to 2000 rpm then sounded like someone dropped ball bearings into the lifter valley. Tightening up the lash improved things a little, but it really sounded like crap.

The decision was made to swap the cam out for a 270S.

So out came the engine again.

In the pictures you can see some other things were going on. The intake manifold gasket was failing. Three valves were contaminated with a degree of oil sludge.

My engine guy came by my house and worked 2 nights on his own time (good customer service) We replaced three intake valve seals, and swapped out the cam and lifters.

Oil pump is primed, zinc additive, and all wired up for a remote start. I hope to do the cam break in tomorrow

Engine video

A video midstream through the camshaft break-in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9sNR0d_lSg

Looks good! I like what you're doing with it. I really wish I had a fastback mustang to mess around with... who knows, it may be my next project!
      Travis

1968 Mustang Coupe WideBody
      1968 Barracuda Formula S Sold 10/10/10

My Barracuda.
      It's more than just an old car,
      It's my one freedom.

Country Flag: Iceland

Quote Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
      Looks good! I like what you're doing with it. I really wish I had a fastback mustang to mess around with... who knows, it may be my next project!
      I like your 'cuda. I used to have a 2x4bbl W-2 motor. Great engines

Quote Originally Posted by 1971CHEVELLE
      Good looking car
      Thanks I kike what you are doing with your chevelle. Crazy amount of work with the 'vette engine. SHould be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red
      nice man
      Thanks. I checked your GTO out. Nice to see the pontiac valve covers between the fenders. Good job

A couple updates.
      TKO is on it's way now. Should arrive mid next week.
      I dropped off the cobra air filter assy. at the platers yesterday. Should be in chrome by mid next week also.
      Did more welding on the tranmission tunnel last night. I have another few hours of welding and grinding, before it's ready for primer.

I have plans to make a custom console, which will emulate some of the '68 style GT console, but I want to have places for cup holders, mount for the ipod, gauges, switches etc

Nice Mustang. I bet the wait is killing you.
      Travis L

Quote Originally Posted by ProMav71 View Post
      Nice Mustang. I bet the wait is killing you.
      Yes, it is REALLY killing me!

BTW reading your sig, I saw a Pinto on the road yesterday. Been a long time since I have seen one. The one I saw was not in great shape, pretty rusty

Had a decent night last night, putting some parts back together. Changed the speedo cable back to a short one to go with the TKO. Much easier than I thought it would be.

Re installed much of the wiring and misc pieces on the front end of the car. Re-did some of the wiring and connectors which were damaged. Put the battery in and tested everything.

Tidied up the loom, additional wiring that I placed in the past few months for the booster fans etc.

I was considering adding an additional pair of horns (so it's nice and loud) for when people cut me off (vengance lol)

I am pretty much ready to drop the engine back in, except I damaged my clutch line and broke it last night. This will mean simply bending a new piece of brake line - so no biggie.

I am mulling over floor console ideas (since I modified the transmission hump)

I'd like to start up the engine and adjust the lash (hot) before I drop the engine back in, but it's not critical.

I indexed all the new spark plugs, except I have one orphan plug that is off. I'll try and take it back and get another one.

Replaced the broken hydraulic clutch hard line, last night, then dropped the engine back between the shock towers. Didn't take long, but makes it look like I've done a lot.

New Tranny is in;

I ended up making my own crossmember. It's good, plus I added a hole for my modified hydraulic slave cylinder bracket.

Cut down an old shock absorber washer to cushion any slight vibration from the slave bracket to the trans mount which is fixed.

Hopefully weather is good tonight, and I will button up the car install the seats and road test tonight.

Otherwise the weekend looks like it will be on the road driving for sure.

Engine video;
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce6URuQcB90

Put it all together again last night, and got in a short drive.

Today, I tweaked a few things and put it a little more through it's paces.

Even though, in theory, the solid lifter cam, was supposed to be more radical than the crappy hydraulic one, it replaced; the car is smoother, quieter, runs better. I'd say it's 100% quieter, with the same exact exhaust system.

The TKO is another amazing change from the toploader. What a difference in shifting and drivability.

It feels like a whole different car. The car looks equal front to back now with the lowering of the front end (approx 3/4")

It's so quiet on the freeway, that I can listen to music at a nice low volume and enjoy the stereo. Before all the changes, my ears used to ring when we'd drive on the freeway. Not any more.

Did a lot of driving today.
      First I removed the sound resonators from the tail pipes. It definitely is about 25% louder and throatier sounding without the resonator tubes.
      (these are hollow tubes that are Tee'd off the tail pipes, and capped. 50% of the length of the tailpipe. Cancels sound waves and droning.)

Great for showing off.

Car drove great. I am still breaking in the trans and cam, so taking it fairly easy. Loving the 5th speed highway cruise 2000 rpm = 80 mph

I bought a new speedo gear, and installed it late at night. The speedo corresponds exactly with the rpm/speed forecast so I am right on.

I still have an annoying clunk in the rear suspension. Probably from running so low on the rear springs. I'll have to track that down now.

Sounds good! I'd liike to see what you've done with the exhaust if you have a picture of it.

Glad to see you got it running, I can't wait to do a T56 of my own.
      Travis

1968 Mustang Coupe WideBody
      1968 Barracuda Formula S Sold 10/10/10

My Barracuda.
      It's more than just an old car,
      It's my one freedom.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com