Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What air cleaner for 572 in 68 Chevelle

I'm helping a friend with a GMPP 572 that's being installed in a 68 Chevelle. As we all know, it's a tall deck motor. The motor is currently in the chassis using Lemons Headers and with the Moroso oil pan and Energy Suspension motor mounts purchased from Dan at Lemons. We are trying to find a solution for the air cleaner that will allow enough clearance for the '68-69 SS hood and also provide enough CFM for the motor. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Spectre Muscle car systems provide enough air to the engine? The car also has March serpentine setup and will be using Vintage air. Any insight offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Chris, yes 2 inch cowl hood. I have an inch of so of clearance but thats in a Nova. This K & N has the 1.25" drop base I believe.

Bill Haynie

1970 Nova 572/620 TKO600
      2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      I'm helping a friend with a GMPP 572 that's being installed in a 68 Chevelle. As we all know, it's a tall deck motor. The motor is currently in the chassis using Lemons Headers and with the Moroso oil pan and Energy Suspension motor mounts purchased from Dan at Lemons. We are trying to find a solution for the air cleaner that will allow enough clearance for the '68-69 SS hood and also provide enough CFM for the motor. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Spectre Muscle car systems provide enough air to the engine? The car also has March serpentine setup and will be using Vintage air. Any insight offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
      Chris,
      I'm not sure if you found what you were looking for yet. I have a 502 I know its not as big but, I have been running one of these systems on my car and have been happy with how it performs and looks. They are a dry filter so you can either vaccum them or blow them out with air (low pressure). The filtering media is called nanofiber. The system comes with a filter element, flow lid and then a filter base. I have a deal i'm offering on AMSOIL products that will help on cost. https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...MSOIL-products This is what they look like.Name:  EaAR_900px.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  46.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AMSOILGUY View Post
      Chris,
      I'm not sure if you found what you were looking for yet. I have a 502 I know its not as big but, I have been running one of these systems on my car and have been happy with how it performs and looks. They are a dry filter so you can either vaccum them or blow them out with air (low pressure). The filtering media is called nanofiber. The system comes with a filter element, flow lid and then a filter base. I have a deal i'm offering on AMSOIL products that will help on cost. https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...MSOIL-products This is what they look like.Name:  EaAR_900px.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  46.2 KB
      After taking the measurments, there is no way he can get it done without a cowl hood of at least 2". We're going to look for a drob base to find a little more room. We still do not have an element however, so I'll check out what you have.

Thanks
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I've heard that the L88 corvette factory drop base has the best hood clearance and wont sacrifice any airflow.
      Chris Lansford

69 Nova that's never done

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com