Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Front Buckets with Integrated Seatbelts?

Hey everyone,

I'm building a 69 chevelle, and am trying to find a bucket seat that I like. I love the look of the wide open space when you roll the front and rear windows down, and don't want to ruin the look with seatbelts hanging from the ceiling right in the middle of the window. I'm not going to go with just lap belts, and running a crossbar to mount a harness to is just not an option. As I see it, that just leaves me with getting a seat that already has a seat belt built in. I know that a lot of convertibles have this style of seat, but what are your favorites? I want something that will keep me planted in the seat as well, and looks are also important.

Also looking for a seat like this as well

Look around for a decent pair of convt BMW seats. They are compact, wear very we'll, and easy to build brackets for. However, they do weigh a little, mainly because of the airbags, motors, etc.
      Dave

1972 Nova
      1967 RS/SS Camaro - current project

Chrysler Sebring had integrated belts as well. I have heard of those used
      RobS
      71 Demon, 6.1hemi, paddled 4l65e, AlterK, Tri4,

Look for a set of BMW 3 series e46 convertible seats from about 2000 and up. I have some from an m3 in my 69 camaro and they are great. A little wide for the camaro but should fit great in a checelle. Hook up power and ground and the power adjustment and lumbar supports work.

Still trying to figure out the seat heaters.

Rick
      Rick - 1969 Camaro - LS1 driven daily

I believe the cadillac cts has sets with built in belts.

From a design standpoint, the e46 bimmer convertible seats are the only options. American car seats are fat, fluffy and look too big

went with the e46 BMW convertible seats. found a member on here that installed them in his GTO, and he was kind enough to take me for a ride. After sitting in them, I'm sold. it's really the only way to go.

Make sure you mount them securely to the floor. You are now asking the seat mounts/bolts to support the weight of the seat AND you in the event of a crash.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

sebring is the best ive seen if you want to use the backseat still

Mercedes has them on some verts as well.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Thanks for the tip. There's lots of reinforcement of the floor to be done for sure. And as for style, they fit the car very well... Just got the seats the other day and test fit them in the car, and they go right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      Make sure you mount them securely to the floor. You are now asking the seat mounts/bolts to support the weight of the seat AND you in the event of a crash.

I realized I never got back on and showed the finish product... here are the seats straight from the junkyard:

And here are the seats after the interior guys worked their magic, couldn't be happier:

Has anyone heard of these seats failing?

My concern is the seat/seat belts depend soley on the floor mount only to hold you in place in the event of an accident.

In someway its like an ejection seat if it detaches in a accident.

Those turned out beautiful - nicely done! Are those the Sebring seats or BMW?

This is why I love this site. I have a 68 Chevelle and was going to Post the EXACT question for the EXACT same reason. Our cars have a beauty about them with the open space with all the windows down.

Luckily I am located in germany for another yearn so this winter it wont be hard finding the seats I want. The lap belts and bench seat (as much as I love it) arent going to work anymore. Its like a rollercoaster, but on a sofa lol. Those seats turned out amazing. Since I will be tackling this soon I had a few questions if you had a sec. Do those seats move forward for rear access? Can you give any details on the brackets (were they hard)? How did you dye the seats? If the motors are simply power and ground, did you get the heater to work as well?

And I will be watching to see what everyone recommends for reinforcement. Ive seen some guys just weld thicker metal to the floor area and bolt down with large washers. At the end of the day I supposse its not crash tested, however if it looks stronger/has more steel than the BMW it came out of, logically I would think it IS.

I wish there were a way to replace the plastic on the side.... but you cant win them all I suppose.

Thanks!
      Paul
      Athena: '68 Chevelle, 454, Holley EFI, T-56, SC&C suspension---Raising hell on the Autobahn and German back roads!

Currently stationed in Germany, and shes my daily driver.

I just did a bunch of research on this and it is the BMW, Caddy and Sebrings that get the most nods. I ended up with some CTS-V seats. Will see how they fit and then what it will take to make them actually secure.

Quote Originally Posted by youngmuscle View Post
      Since I will be tackling this soon I had a few questions if you had a sec. Do those seats move forward for rear access? Can you give any details on the brackets (were they hard)? How did you dye the seats? If the motors are simply power and ground, did you get the heater to work as well?

I wish there were a way to replace the plastic on the side.... but you cant win them all I suppose.

Thanks!
      Paul
      Paul,

if you look on one of the photos, there is a lever and a forward and back switch on the seat. the lever tilts the seat back forward, and the arrows move the whole seat forwards and back rapidly.

The seats are not dyed, my interior guy in myrtle beach stripped the old covers and re-covered in leather. he also worked magic on the faded old plastic covers, I actually don't mind them but I am looking for a more modern look anyways.

The motors were power and ground... in SC i don't care much for heaters anyways, not like i had a choice because the interior guys ripped the heaters out when they re-covered them anyways. the heaters seemed to be controlled my a remote switch, not sure how it was tied in so we left it alone.

Brackets werent much of a problem. just a few tweaks here and there, nothing major.

another seat pic

Quote Originally Posted by JHunter View Post
      Those turned out beautiful - nicely done! Are those the Sebring seats or BMW?
      Bimmer

[QUOTE=jsreyno;1098444]Paul,

if you look on one of the photos, there is a lever and a forward and back switch on the seat. the lever tilts the seat back forward, and the arrows move the whole seat forwards and back rapidly.

The seats are not dyed, my interior guy in myrtle beach stripped the old covers and re-covered in leather. he also worked magic on the faded old plastic covers, I actually don't mind them but I am looking for a more modern look anyways.

The motors were power and ground... in SC i don't care much for heaters anyways, not like i had a choice because the interior guys ripped the heaters out when they re-covered them anyways. the heaters seemed to be controlled my a remote switch, not sure how it was tied in so we left it alone.

Brackets werent much of a problem. just a few tweaks here and there, nothing major.

another seat pic
      [QUOTE=jsreyno;1098444]

Man those look awesome. Maybe Ill have to wait until I go back to Charleston and hit him up lol. Well that sounds promising and somewhat easy. Ill be looking through the junkyards soon enough. Im guessing you just modified the stock brackets, correct? Give me a few months and see if I can work some magic as well. After a lot of research, my DREAM seats would come out of 2013ish M6. Haha, doubt Ill find a wrecked one, but they look so damn good. Europeans know interior, if Ive learned anything over here. Thanks for sharing the build.

-Paul
      Athena: '68 Chevelle, 454, Holley EFI, T-56, SC&C suspension---Raising hell on the Autobahn and German back roads!

Currently stationed in Germany, and shes my daily driver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com