Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1967 Camaro Cable Activated Hood Release?

I'm looking for a cable activated hood release for my 67. I called screaming performance and they are out of stock at the moment and apparently the guy making them is redesigning the current one they offer for an undisclosed reason.

Is there anyone who has fabbed one, converted an existing one, or know if an alternate company which makes one?

Nobody has any suggestions?

Still haven't found anything. Been searching the net but no one makes a cable conversion kit. You would think there would be a larger demand for this.

Country Flag: United States
      I fabbed up dual corvette latches on mine

Screaming performance doesn't have any cable activated hood latches available. They are redesingning them for whatever reason.

How did you fab the corvette ones up?

I'm still trying to figure this out. Screaming performance still doesn't have anything in stock with nothing on the horizon. I'm surprised there aren't other companies mashing anything like this. I've been googling all day searching for build threads with little luck. Anyone have suggestions

Country Flag: New Zealand
      i am sure they have them now i saw something on there Facebook page

I built my own.

The upper and lower latch assembly that screaming performance uses are from an early 90's VW. I purchased these for about $18. Then purchased the lokar cable assembly for $90. I modified my stock upper and lower latch assembly to accept the VW latches & now have a fully functional cable activated hood latch for $120. For comparison, screaming performance charges $450 without shipping. They are in Florida and shipping is probably another $50.

I mounted the handle flush with the dash so it's out of the way.

I've been waiting a year and a half for one from screaming performance but they never have one available for purchase. I was placed on the "two week" wait list when the message above was posted but still haven't heard anything about their availability.

Quote Originally Posted by 1967ls2 View Post
      I built my own.

The upper and lower latch assembly that screaming performance uses are from an early 90's VW. I purchased these for about $18. Then purchased the lokar cable assembly for $90. I modified my stock upper and lower latch assembly to accept the VW latches & now have a fully functional cable activated hood latch for $120. For comparison, screaming performance charges $450 without shipping. They are in Florida and shipping is probably another $50.
      Here is what Matt made for my 67 RS Camaro. The parts are from a VW Thing. I bought them at thethingshop.com and total was $170 for VW the parts. I bought the parts a year ago.
      Matt also used a Lokar cable assembly. These are little beefier than other VW latches.
      Part Numbers:
      175823507 FRONT HOOD LOCK UPPER
      411823509 HOOD LOCK, LOWER FRONT

Name:  100_2782-M.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  169.6 KB

Name:  100_2780-L.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  224.1 KB

Jeff

Yeah I saw someone post about the VW thing parts as an alternative. I almost went that route as well since they do look like they are a little more heavy duty.

Yeah I saw someone post about the VW thing parts as an alternative. I almost went that route as well since they do look like they are a little more heavy duty.
      Matt builds for Stielow, so he built the latch for Jackass, Red Devil, Mayhem and Camaro XV. I think that I showed him the $18 part, but he gave me the Thing part numbers.

Just curious of what cable you guys are using with this latch.

I purchased one off Amazon for about $90. It's the black anodized handle one from lokar.

I'm going to start a build thread so everyone can see how I built mine. I'm sure there are other ways to go about it but it might help the creative juices to flow for others.

Hey 67ls2, I'm very interested in seeing how you fabbed your own hood latch as I would like to do the same. Psting a build thread on it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks a bunch,
      David

Thanks for the interest. I took some pictures for a build thread just haven't had time to post it up. I'll try to get to it soon. It wasn't the hardest thing in the world to do and only cost about $118 in parts.

It will require a welder and some general fabrication skills. I don't have a welder so I had to recruit the use of a buddies.

The only person out there that actually builds a stand alone kit is that guy from screaming performance but I waited for a year and a half and he still didn't have one available. Plus I wasn't interested in dropping $500 for a hood latch.

I love having the security and piece of mind knowing someone can't open my hood and plus it's cool because not too many first gen camaro's have one. I'm going to install a metal grill in the lower valance also to fill the void.

I'd love to see it too.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Me too..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I just tried to start a build thread but the android app won't let me post pictures. Tried to do it from my laptop but the forum won't let me upload photos either. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it's a little frustrating. Sorry guys

I just tried to start a build thread but the android app won't let me post pictures. Tried to do it from my laptop but the forum won't let me upload photos either. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it's a little frustrating. Sorry guys
      Post the pictures to photobucket or flickr sites, and link your pictures to the thread.

I'd like to see how you did the mod as well.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com