Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ideas for my bbc build....

So I am starting to get serious about getting my power train together.... Had the motor that was in the car taken apart and inspected....

Cylinder heads--
      14097088 casting #
      1991-up, cast iron, rectangular intake port, square exhaust port, 118cc open chamber, 325cc intake volume. Gen V 454/502 HO

nothing special with these currently

Engine block--
      10237300 casting #
      1996-up, Gen VI, 4.466" bore 502

The bores will need to be moved out to +0.030 as measures confirm why there is slap until it got warm.

Some goals: street able, will be backed with anT400 / gvod, pump gas preferably, naturally aspirated, no fuel injection, low maintenance, reliability, longevity...looking for 600-700 hp at the crank. Primary use will be a Sat night cruiser, but still be able to play if/when time allows . I have looked at the Pile Driver build from Hot Rod magazine, as an idea....but wondering what the experience on the board would say.

Country Flag: United States
      There's slap until it warms up because GM used low tension rings. I have the 12568778 502H.O. in my '68 Camaro. We dusted the bores and installed some decent rings, re-balanced the rotating assy and the slap and excessive oil use disappeared.

600-700 at the crank is possible but you'll need to bring the CR up from 8.75:1 to closer to 10.5:1. Much over that you'll be running special fuel.

I'm at 9.2:1 according to my engine builder with a mild Erson cam and unported Dart 325's and I'm right at 597hp level and it'll rev safely to 7200rpm. If you don't re-balance the rotating assy and go with a TH400/GV setup then stick with 3.55 to 3.73 rear gears. If you do re-ballance it go with 4.10's and you won't be sorry.

Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

Country Flag: United States
      I just went through the 509 I am putting in my Astro. I went with Brodix ovalport 270 heads, an Erson Hyd. roller and we set the compression right at 10.5:1. With an Edelbrock RPM Airgap and an 850 Holley my builder is expecting 550 to 575 horse and around 650 lb/ft. With a 400/GV and 3:75's it should be a real nice street motor. I hope to get it drivable this summer.... If you want to talk to someone who knows his BBC's I can get you a number.
      Mark

Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com