Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

How much power can the factory style engine mounts handle reliably?

I have a First gen camaro with solid engine mounts and was curious how much this setup could handle until you have to go to a front/mid plate setup.

I want to keep my car a DD and the standard engine mounts are much better for clearance the twin turbo setup I'm building right now. Looking at making some pretty good power numbers and was wondering how much is too much?

Country Flag: United States

How much power can the factory style engine mounts handle reliably?

Don't get caught up in more is always better....even Ron Jeremy could only put his gun in so much holster. =). Shoot for around 400hp, you will have tons of fun with lots of reliability

Solid motormounts transmit a lot of vibrations into the car.
      If the car will be primarily street driven , I'd use heavy-duty rubber ( factory style) mounts with the interlocking (overlapping) metal inside them (in case one breaks ) .
      If the car is a track-only road-race or drag car , then put solid metal bracket style mounts in it . ( but they are a bit overkill , unless you are going to be shocking the drivetrain a lot with launches and such )

There are plenty of 500hp , 600hp , 700hp cars with rubber mounts ..
      Rubber mounts even survive on 1000hp+ turbo cars on the street ( just not at the dragstrip)

To answer your original question , solid metal bracket type motormounts will handle 500+ hp easy ..
      But they aren't necessary on a street car.
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

well....i'm looking at 1,000hp at the minimum. I got a TT viper that does around 1000 to the tire so anything less is not exciting anymore! That car isnt really DD friendly, even though it drives like stock its not practical; thats why I'm trying to get the best of both worlds with the camaro.

did you look into polyurathane mounts, they are suppose to be better than rubber and not transmit the vibrations like the steel mounts.

597hp at the crank here with Energy Suspension poly mounts. Solid mounts rattled my fillings out and I hated them.
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

650-700 hp LS7 with solid mounts. I really don't get much vibration at all.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com