Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

GM rear disc brake conversion

I have a bunch of parts from S-10 Blazers that will work for rear disc swaps on GM rear ends with the standard 4 bolt flange. They will clear 15" wheels and some 14". I decided not to use them on my G-body because I went with 17" wheels and C6 front brakes, so I want a bigger rear rotor to match. The rotor diameter for this setup is 11.6", the calipers are a newer floating pin design with internal parking brake, similar to the LS1 brakes.

These should have no issues fitting an A-body or F-body... however, they have a fairly deep offset and will most likely hit the frame on a lowered G-body. I have heard people say they clear on a G-body, but don't get mad at me if you try and they don't.

Here is some information on an F-body swap: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109454

Onto what I have available:

1 pair of S-10 2WD rear backing plates that clock the calipers behind the axle. They also have caliper abutments and brand new caliper pins. At least one of the parking brake actuators will need new parts, which are available cheap aftermarket (you should do this anyways). As you can see, even the axle mounting bolts are included.

1 pair of S-10 2WD rear rotors, Raybestos part number 56725R, I had them zinc washed so they won't rust in the hub and vanes when used on the car.

1 pair of remanned calipers that work with either 4WD or 2WD backing plates. Brand new out of the box, I had to use the boxes to return cores when purchased.

1 pair of GM 4WD backing plates, that clock the calipers in front of the axle. These have surface rust on the dust shields, new Dorman backing plates are available on rockauto.com for $20. The mounts themselves are in good shape and will clean up with some blasting or dipping.

1 set of brand new Hawk ceramic pads.

You can use either the 2WD or 4WD backing plates, and they are interchangeable side to side (so you can swap the 4WD sides from left to right to clock the calipers behind the axle, the parking brake pull direction just changes).

Anybody using these on a 1st or 2nd gen F-body with staggered rear shocks usually needs a mixed set of these backing plates (one 2WD and one 4WD), which aren't easy to find without spending decent coin or getting lucky in the yard.

I am not interested in parting this lot out yet. I am asking $400 for the whole setup shown here plus shipping. Shipping will not be very cheap because of the weight of parts. When adding up piece parts you'll find I have more in it than this, before factoring in shipping costs.
      Luke
      '63 Chevy II wagon - project

Sold! Thanks.
      Luke
      '63 Chevy II wagon - project

Country Flag: United States
      Damn. And I could have picked up. My work has an office in Orland!
      71 Formula, 455 SD/KRE D-Ports, Crower solid cam, TKO 600, 3:73 Eaton posi. 17" ARE 200s, , 1LE brakes, Koni, Rancho adjustable bars, Hotchkis springs

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com