Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Air Intake - Alternative Routing on 1970 Chevelle?

Fishing for ideas here, and appreciate any feedback...

Based on the way the engine room of my Chevelle has been finished, I'm running into a problem with where/how to duct the air intake from my LQ9/LS3 hybrid. Up by the radiator support, I can't easily duct the intake (like many others have done), since the ISIS computer is mounted on one side, and the ECM is mounted on the other. At this point, I need to see what other alternatives exist.

One idea I have been kicking around of late is to run a 90 deg bend directly downward from the intake, and then create some sort of a "scoop" just below the bumper that will duct the air up to the intake. This would work with my current packaging, and seemingly be a good point to draw air, since it is out of the flow from the radiator and radiant heat from the engine.

Conceptually, it would look something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vararam-06-1...-/251289071689 or http://www.bankspower.com/products/s...amax%20LMM%7C3

1) For my Chevelle, are there any reasons (mainly from a technical/performance standpoint) why this is a bad idea?
      2) Assuming that the idea is a reasonable direction, does anyone know where I could find a small filter/housing that would work with this plan?
      3) Has anyone tried this before? If so, would you please post photos!

Thanks for any/all feedback.

~ Jason

Post a photo of your engine bay. Is it more difficult to think about this and engineer something different rather than mount the computer differently?

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Ever since a friend of mine drove through a big puddle and hydrolocked his engine I've been opposed to intakes below the bumper. The rods all look "S" shaped now.
      '67 GTO - LS3, 4L60E, SC&C AFX Package, KORE3 C6 Z06, Boyds PT-09s

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...7-GTO-LS3-Swap

Hi Guys - Thanks for the responses. At this point, I am out of town, and not easily accessible to engine room photos. I will take some when I get back.

Also, I am really loathe to redo the computer/wiring layout, and would like to see where this path leads me. It could ultimately end in spectacular fashion, but I would like to see what can be done before throwing in the towel.

I understand the comment about hydrolocking, but since we rarely see rain in Phoenix, I think it is a manageable risk

One item I found today when doing a random internet search was this custom airbox. Seems like the universal system wouldn't take too much to hook up to some sort of custom air scoop/duct just below the bumper...

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/air-int...50_d735_1.aspx

Any thoughts? I know, this is a fishing expedition in opinions, but I appreciate the feedback.

~ Jason

Country Flag: Canada
      I also have a 70 and thought about this a few times, I agree..post a engine bay picture, without seeing your setup I do know that there is tones of room on the "outer front corner" behind the rad saddle and headlights. One thought drill a hole down through the inner fender and just use a generic air filter, with the filter pointed towards the ground it will be very hard to such up any water and you can easily shroud the filter too. On the other end it would be a matter of cutting up some straight sections and elbows directing the airflow into the throttle body.
      Good luck ryan

Some food for thought here:: Besides possibly sucking up water in a rainstorm, air from near the pavement is hotter than air higher up. You'd be better getting air from the front upper inner fenders. Not as much ram effect, but clean cooler air. Or you could do something more radical to get air from higher up.

Air Intake - Alternative Routing on 1970 Chevelle?

^ true, but when does an engine thrive from cool air? When it's moving. If there is airflow around it, then it'll be cooler than if it was stuck in a fender with little airflow.
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

^ Guess it would vary with different vehicles how much air movement is in the fenderwells. Forgot to mention the bellmouth intakes you can put in place of 2 of your 4 headlights. Those would cram some decent air in there.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com