Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project "Synthesis" Garage built Pro-Touring Chevelle

So I've been reading pro-touring for quite a few years and have been inspired by everyone's build threads and have decided to take on a project myself. I figured I should create a build thread as well to get feedback/advice along the way......so here goes:

Tried to think of a cool project name and failed. So I'm just going to go with Synthesis: Combination of two or more entities that together form something new. Corny but thats the best I can come up with.

The goal is to garage build a car with the ability to be a daily driven car with A/C, PS, power windows/seats, and anti-lock brakes and be able to hang with modern sports cars in a straight line and the corners. The plan is use to use a Twin-Turbo LS motor mated to a C5 Drivetrain, with a decent suspension system such as Penske 8300's (or similar) and C6 Z06 Brakes. This is my first muscle car but I have built a few Audi's in the past, I hope i'm not biting off more than I can chew.

I started with a 71' Chevelle I picked up in April of last summer. It came with a mild 350 and Richmond 5spd and I semi-daily drove it last year until late November and loved it, so this is the starting point (it looks so much better in pics than in real life):

In Late November the engine/trans were pulled and sold and car has been on jackstands under a tarp while I collected parts. So far for the drivetrain I've got the following:
      -Complete IFS/IRS setup from a C5 Corvette (including 6spd Trans and Torque Tube)
      -Built 370. 6.0L Truck block with forged internals and LS3 heads with solid lifters.

Some aspects of the build are set in stone but some still need sorting out, so I'll ask for advice along the way.

I wanted to go with an early 70's Chevelle since my dad had one. I saw this Chevelle at a Good Guys car in March 12' and I decided to pull trigger and get one, plus my 5year old kept telling me we should build one after seeing this.

However, this is the stance I want to go for (first pic is photoshopped):

Finally started working on this project late last week. Original plan was to simply modify the stock frame to accept the C5 Cradles.

Figuring out what I needed to do to get the stance I wanted so I mocked up some 18's:

Realized that my original plan was a no go and that I needed to build a new frame from scratch. So, I ordered some steel and went to work over the weekend on a frame table:

I managed to get the the car on the rack, centered and welded in place at the ride hight that I want. Next I need to finalize the design on the frame and possibly find someone to laser cut some stuff to make the frame.

One question so far in regards to the body mounts... I'm thinking it would be best to go with solid body mounds (mount the frame directly to the car instead of having the rubber mounts in between). This should allow me to mount the frame a little higher up (for more ground clearance). Anyone have any experience with solid mounts? How is ride quality/vibrations affected?

Quote Originally Posted by sonu View Post
      So I've been reading pro-touring for quite a few years and have been inspired by everyone's build threads and have decided to take on a project myself. I figured I should create a build thread as well to get feedback/advice along the way......so here goes:

Tried to think of a cool project name and failed. So I'm just going to go with Synthesis: Combination of two or more entities that together form something new. Corny but thats the best I can come up with.

The goal is to garage build a car with the ability to be a daily driven car with A/C, PS, power windows/seats, and anti-lock brakes and be able to hang with modern sports cars in a straight line and the corners. The plan is use to use a Twin-Turbo LS motor mated to a C5 Drivetrain, with a decent suspension system such as Penske 8300's (or similar) and C6 Z06 Brakes. This is my first muscle car but I have built a few Audi's in the past, I hope i'm not biting off more than I can chew.

I started with a 71' Chevelle I picked up in April of last summer. It came with a mild 350 and Richmond 5spd and I semi-daily drove it last year until late November and loved it, so this is the starting point (it looks so much better in pics than in real life):

In Late November the engine/trans were pulled and sold and car has been on jackstands under a tarp while I collected parts. So far for the drivetrain I've got the following:
      -Complete IFS/IRS setup from a C5 Corvette (including 6spd Trans and Torque Tube)
      -Built 370. 6.0L Truck block with forged internals and LS3 heads with solid lifters.

Some aspects of the build are set in stone but some still need sorting out, so I'll ask for advice along the way.
      im curious to see how the c5 suspension works out for you. I am planning on running a c4 IRS inmy nova. Cant wait to see the progress!

Finally started working on this project late last week. Original plan was to simply modify the stock frame to accept the C5 Cradles.

Figuring out what I needed to do to get the stance I wanted so I mocked up some 18's:

Realized that my original plan was a no go and that I needed to build a new frame from scratch. So, I ordered some steel and went to work over the weekend on a frame table:

I managed to get the the car on the rack, centered and welded in place at the ride hight that I want. Next I need to finalize the design on the frame and possibly find someone to laser cut some stuff to make the frame.

One question so far in regards to the body mounts... I'm thinking it would be best to go with solid body mounds (mount the frame directly to the car instead of having the rubber mounts in between). This should allow me to mount the frame a little higher up (for more ground clearance). Anyone have any experience with solid mounts? How is ride quality/vibrations affected?
      solid mounts would make for a rough ride depending on the shocks you run but to avoid this and still tuck the frame just put the body mounts lower on the frame to accommodate for the rubber mounts in effect you would still have the tuck you want while having the smoothness of rubber mounts
      Brandon
      2003 f250 powerstroke 2/4 drop daily driver
      1979 f250 crew cab on superduty axles
      1947 dodge 5 window coupe

Quote Originally Posted by turboclevor View Post
      solid mounts would make for a rough ride depending on the shocks you run but to avoid this and still tuck the frame just put the body mounts lower on the frame to accommodate for the rubber mounts in effect you would still have the tuck you want while having the smoothness of rubber mounts
      That's a great idea! I wasn't even considering that, I'll mull it over probably will go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmypetersfit View Post
      im curious to see how the c5 suspension works out for you. I am planning on running a c4 IRS inmy nova. Cant wait to see the progress!
      I'll keep the thread updated. However, progress might be slower than I want it to be due to lack of time.

I'll be watching, it should really handle with the IRS out back
      67 LeMans Convertible
      67 GTO
      69 Camaro Build Thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ost-Money-quot
      70 Chevelle 400 4spd
      70 Chevelle

Got a few hours of work done on the frame. Decided to make the long pieces that run on the side of the body first and once that is mounted and square I can move onto the front suspension.

I was able to get the sides bolted up but not really happy with them. I used 4x2 and recessed the mounts 3/4" to give the frame more ground clearance:

The frame is still lower than I would like it to be....it may be ok since I'm planning on making some sideskirts (about 1" lower than stock) and the frame is about 1.5" lower than the body currently. I'm strongly considering just going with some 3x2 .085 or .120 instead

Other thing I'm contemplating is whether it would be better to just cut the whole floor out and not worry about the stock mounting points and just fabricate new ones. The floor will need to be heavily modified anyways for the torque tube and rear transaxle.

you might want to take a look at DSE's Chevelle project @ http://www.detroitspeed.com/projects...velle-pg2.html that did some interesting things with the stock frame... might give you some ideas on what to do, I know the next time I do another Chevelle I am going to use there ideas as my base.

I've decided to just cut out the floor and go from there, no point in trying to preserve the the floor/stock mounting points when I have to tear apart most of later on. It'll be easier/better to just remove it. Hope to get some work done over the next weekend.

I've decided to just cut out the floor and go from there, no point in trying to preserve the the floor/stock mounting points when I have to tear apart most of later on. It'll be easier/better to just remove it. Hope to get some work done over the next weekend.
      This is where i went with my truck, i tried using stock points, but that failed as i moved further along in the fabrication state. I have some Front upper control arm mounting plates cut at a 7* angle if i recall so you can level them out when making your mounts, i can send them your way if you want/are interested.
      Name:  tm5g.jpg
Views: 2550
Size:  33.3 KB
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Touring-Truck

DMP Fabrication LLC
      Follow me on Instagram for welding and truck progress! - Americangraffiti

Quote Originally Posted by the dan View Post
      This is where i went with my truck, i tried using stock points, but that failed as i moved further along in the fabrication state. I have some Front upper control arm mounting plates cut at a 7* angle if i recall so you can level them out when making your mounts, i can send them your way if you want/are interested.
      Name:  tm5g.jpg
Views: 2550
Size:  33.3 KB
      Yes! That would be great! I was just trying to find someone who can cut some for me.

Just sent you a PM.

I put a c6 front end in my 70 GTO. I am still working on it but I bought the GM mounting plates and I match the vette angles.

I cut off the front stock and went with two new rails.

Quote Originally Posted by mikes2nd View Post
      I put a c6 front end in my 70 GTO. I am still working on it but I bought the GM mounting plates and I match the vette angles.

I cut off the front stock and went with two new rails.
      Can you give me a little info on the gm mounting plates? Have any pics, links, price info?

Thanks

Thanks to "the dan" for sending out the mounting plates, i'll let you know when they arrive.

Did some chopping on the floor, could say that i'm past the point of no return now . Hopefully I can get the center section of the frame and body mounts done over the next week or so.

Looks like I will need to raise ride height about 1.25-1.5" go give ample suspension travel. As it sits now, I would only have 2.5" of rear travel...altering the body more may make it difficult to roll the windows down all the way. Besides, it kinda looks too low to me now at this height for a DD. I'm using a friend's ZR1 wheels for mockup (20x12Rear and 19x10Front).

It's looking good. I had to gut my floor out not too long ago and it was a pain and some bandaids
      67 LeMans Convertible
      67 GTO
      69 Camaro Build Thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ost-Money-quot
      70 Chevelle 400 4spd
      70 Chevelle

Finally got some time to work on the car...managed to get the front fixtures welded to frame table and spindles mounted. This is set at ride hight and set inwards enough to allow wheels to turn w/o hitting fenders. Thanks to "the dan" for lending the mounting plates, they are a big help!

awesome project!!!! is this your first project you have done? Im thinking thats a no lol....but cant wait to see more
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

Can you give me a little info on the gm mounting plates? Have any pics, links, price info?

Thanks
      I went with C6 parts but I think its the same part number.

I get the part numbers from Nalley, usually gmpartsdirect has the lowest prices even with bad shipping...

But your part numbers look like

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...rimLevel=14233

one is 47$, other side is 28$??

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../25808057.html

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../10318765.html

You can get away with 3 parts(order the "Big" piece) first since it includes the shock brackets I think.

The control arm plate and the shock bracket are one unit already welded from the factor(the 47,28$ parts). At least they were on my C6 parts.

So dont buy shock mounts also like I did, there is two "top" parts you may need. I needed the top support, the little cover didnt matter so much and would not fit on my car.

I will get you pics and can confirm the part numbers if you want.

Awesome Project!!! its good to see another Chevelle, your car is going to be badass!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com