• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: Australia
      Mark's is a Carbon fibre hood.

Greg
      Used to be known as tonner

Country Flag: United States
      There are sources that sell prepunched louver sections that you can cut out & weld in.http://www.google.com/#q=universal+p...w=1920&bih=954 There are factory versions worth considering, such as old Z-cars.

Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

Any idea on how to keep the rain out of the engine compartment when you install vents? I wonder if the vents from the factory have some baffle box under them to help with water management?

Turbo Charged LS1/T56

What about moving the radiator to the back and blocking off the space? Kills 2 birds with one stone - aero and weight. Oil, power steering, and AC parallel to the ground in front with fans or filled by small front vent that is exhausted or exits below the car? Thoughts?

If you plan to do some extensive hood mods for heat extraction and gain some front down force at the same time, take a look at the early 2000's Mustang Cobras. A friend has an 03 and it has a very tastefully factory Cobra with the hood having a wide air inlet and the airflow exits through the base of the hood below the windshield-thus taking advantage of the high pressure area which literally creates a vacuum effect underhood @ high speeds. Ever see the DOHC 4.6 motors? That's a lot of motor sitting in that engine bay.

"...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

I always wanted to make the cosmetic louvers on a '68-'69 Camaro SS / raised panel hood functional.
      Duct them up to the radiator as a heat extraction source.
      But I think they are too far back on the hood .
      Higher pressure at the base of the windshield would push air into them ( I think )
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

I really like this Monza. The new hood has a lot of venting for the radiator. I plan to copy this to some extent.

Name:  Dekon Monza.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  99.5 KB

This is an old thread, but I just saw it. Fun subject though. I was real big into this back in 2003, when I owned an E30 M3 BMW.

I installed a hood vent on that car, after doing a ton of research trying to figure out what to use for a vent and where to locate it. My purposes where both better cooling and reduced lift. At that time I was considered a little nuts for trying this, but since then a lot of others have done it in that community.

I wish I had the capability at that time to properly duct the radiator air up through the vent. That would have been the right way to do it. The car also had a splitter and venturi under tray to reduce front lift. That was factory BMW stuff you could add.

The theory for adding a hood vent is that air builds up against the rather blunt front end of the car, causing local stagnation and high pressure. As this air sweeps up over the front end of the hood it detaches, creating a low pressure zone that you want to leverage for air removal. The air then hits the front windshield creating another high pressure zone at the cowl. This zone is sometimes used to push air into the engine inlet.

I would not personally want to use the low pressure zone underneath a moving car to help exhaust radiator air, as this will reduce the low pressure and lead to lift. Manufacturers used to do it this way because it was easy and cheap, many still do. Most folks would not really understand a hood vent in their Camry or Civic. Side skirts let's remember are an effort to reduce air from leaking into the low pressure area under the car. You really only want air from the front of the car to travel under the car, and then ideally out the back via a diffuser to slow it down a bit before exiting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com