Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Clear coat spindles? Body painting steps and assembly order?

I have some Ride Tech spindles that are bare and I've read that you don't want to paint them so they are easier to inspect for cracks and such. However, being bare, they will show surface rust and I hate that idea. Would it be okay to just clean them up with some laquer thinner and spray some clear on them? I'm not going to sand blast them or really even sand them, just clean them up.

On the body, the firewall and engine bay will be black so do I paint the edges of the bulkhead, the part on the sides covered by the fender, body color? Should I stop at the top of the firewall with the black and paint under the cowl body color or black like the firewall?

Final newbie question, I plan to have it painted this summer or next, but assemble it myself. Do I install the inner fenders into the outers and then bolt to the car? I'm not sure how to keep from scratching up the inners putting the two together in either case.

Thomas

Spare Change: 68 Camaro, 300hp/350ci, 700R4

Country Flag: United States
      Hey Thomas,
      As far as the spindles go clean them and paint them. If you stay with a light to medium dark color cracks should show up okay. Light Silver/gray or a medum silver/gray will work well.
      For the firewall you can do whatever looks good to you. I really don't think it will matter.
      For the cowl sides paint the whole thing black. You will want to cut in the door jamb areas so masking off the black will be necessary before spraying color. You really only need to paint the front doorjamb as far back as you can easily see with the door open. Make sure you have ALL of the body panels installed and aligned before top coat. It is easy enough to put it back together once it's painted if you document shim numbers and positions when taking it back apart.
      Myself I would cut in the inner fenders and all of the door and trunk jambs, assemble the loose pieces and spray the car as a whole. This is especially important if your are going with a candy or translucent topcoat.
      Have fun...
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com