Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DSE Dash Insert

DSE Dash Insert

Greetings fellow PTers...

Just received my DSE dash insert for my '69 Camaro, and let me say that the build quality is second to none. Like many others I have seen post about the price compared to other aftermarket dash housings, I too was skeptical that a simple metal dash panel could be worth that kind of scratch. Well, after quite a bit of research and looking for something equal in terms of layout flexibility, I could find something else I liked and went ahead and bought from Matt's Classic Bowties during their recent Black Friday sale. As someone involved in the design industry, I am very discerning about aesthetics, quality, value, etc. and let me say that I am VERY impressed with the build quality, fit and finish and everything about the dash insert.

For anyone on the fence about this dash insert, don't let the cost be a determining factor when it comes to build quality and fit and finish. This piece is definitely worth it and I cannot wait to get the new gauges and installed in the car.

Regards,

Dan

Country Flag: United States
      Any pics?

Couldn't agree more Dan. I just loaded mine this weekend and installing it later this week.

Jeff

69 Camaro build, body & paint by West Coast Auto Craft

Build thread http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/show...ght=brownstone

Lateral-g Feature http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=44186

Thanks to Matt's Classic Bowties and Pro-Touring.com

Tough to beat DSE quality!!

Wow, thats's nice

I love it!

Now if they made something for chevelles..........
      Project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ouring-Project
      IG - @tc_chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by Richio1 View Post
      Couldn't agree more Dan. I just loaded mine this weekend and installing it later this week.

How did you hide the tig welding in the corners?

thanks

A little filler, sand. Primer, sand again and it was good to go. Turned out really nice.
      Jeff

69 Camaro build, body & paint by West Coast Auto Craft

Build thread http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/show...ght=brownstone

Lateral-g Feature http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=44186

Thanks to Matt's Classic Bowties and Pro-Touring.com

w0w that looks really nice. But from a post after, it seems you did some cleanup, so that probably needs to be mentioned, otherwise someone may buy this and what they get won't be as clean as yours

very nice!

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

uhhhh ya. Thanks for the info. Looks great. Received mine about a week ago and the inside corners could use a little work and any filler would rule out powder coating if I'm not mistaken. I'm using Dakota's universal oval gauge set and the upper piece that holds the dash pad needs modification at the gauge face to fit. I'll post some photos during the work.

Got mine last week and am not particularly thrilled about the tig work. It is a nice piece, but powder coating is out of the question. We are also going to modify the upper dash pad support to accomodate a Dakota one-piece gauge set.
      thanks for the info

Wrinkle powder coat

Turned out niceName:  image.jpg
Views: 3934
Size:  148.2 KB
      Dan
      1969 rs, bbc, tremec 600, 12 bolt, mini tubs, dse a-arms, springs, iforge wheels...

Name:  DSE Dash.jpg
Views: 2420
Size:  141.8 KB

Well, back to working on the car a bit... having a new (first) baby really put the slow down on the car. As an Architect, I am very plan oriented and don't make decisions on things without lots of forethought and planning. I have started working on my gauge layout for the DSE dash and have jumped around quite a bit deciding on manufacturers to consider. Currently, and hopefully finally, settled on Speedhut. I have attached a quick progress shot of my layout with the CAD file drawing I am using to generate a dimensionally accurate layout. I know I have the Fuel indicator used 4 times while I get around to making a voltage, oil pressure, water temperature XREF. Speedo and Tach are the 4 1/2" diameter and others are 2 1/16" diameter gauges. I really like the look of the Ford GT gauges with the large pie areas for the "red line, empty, etc.) so I am hoping I can work up what I want and get the gauges ordered soon. The dash indicator lights are 65 AC Cobra lights from www.snakebite.com/au. I still have yet to find A/C controls and an A/C vent I like so the search continues. Basic push button start button shown, but still thinking about this too.

I am happy to share the AutoCAD drawings for anyone wanting to plan their DSE Dash layout in a CAD program.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Switches to the left of the steering column- Rockers w/ illumination when on? Source?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Richio1 View Post

Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Not my post for the switches, but I ran across these that look similar...

http://www.delcity.net/store/Square-...-Hole/p_788849

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Thanks rustbucket
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Just found this thread and really like the DSE insert as well. It's in my plan for my build. I also came across Speedhut when looking at gauges and agree they can look pretty cool. Are you going to use them stock or have custom face done?

With the new baby (well, she is 2 now, so not new), I haven't had much time (read money) to work on the car so I haven't made any forward progress lately. I may come up with some ideas for custom gauge faces and see what Speedhut can do. With that said, I really like the GT40 style gauges as they are so may not try and reinvent the wheel too much and just stick with them. I've looked at New Vintage, VDO and Auto Meter as well, and prefer the Speedhut offerings, but I don't have personal experience with any of them.

I can share my AutoCAD dash insert file with the gauges I've done so far if anyone wants them.

I'd like the AutoCAD file, but I don't have CAD software at the moment to read the file. Planning on getting AutoCAD LT in September. I do understand about the money as I have 8 nieces and nephews. Thankfully the youngest is now 21 and they are not so dependent on their uncle anymore. I haven't looked at VDO yet, but I did check out Classic Instruments. They also have some nice gauges and have custom services. My plan is nearly complete (fool that I am) and so hope to start soon. But I plan to talk to SpeedHut and Classic Instruments to nail down cost for the gauges I want. I plan to have the usual (tach, speedo, volts, water temp, oil pressure, fuel) but want to have oil temp, trans temp, AF ratio, and gear position (planning on a 6 or 8 speed AT with paddle shifters from Twist Machine). But the more I work on the spreadsheet the bigger it gets. It's both fun and frustrating trying to decide on what has to be in the build versus what I want to be in the build. I keep trying to move items into the want list so that I focus on where I need to spend the money. But when you look at the builds on here by some of the members it gets a little harder to not keep items in the need to have list. Best wishes on your build.

Rod

What are the led's for in the center? I was thinking blinkers and a high beam indicator.

Thanks, Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com