Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: United States
      Hope you have some success. If you can't exchange it you may be able to sell it on the forum,Craigslist,or eBay. You may take a small hit but better than getting stuck from heat soak.

Your car falling off the lift must have been a real sh$&@ day. How long did it set you back? That could have easily totaled it. I had just installed my motor, went to prime the engine with my drill and the oil pump shaft dropped through into the pan. There was no access to pull the pan while the motor was in the car. Had to re pull the engine to get the pan off. Lucky I had the front clip off so it went fast. The main thing I was pissed about was bolting up my headers again. Hookers headers suck.

One last thing. After initial body/ metal work how many times did you primer/block the car? Only asking because my 1967 Gto is in the body shop and I paid for 2 primer then blocking. Thank you

I primed and block sanded the car two times. If the if the initial bondo work is good then it shouldnt take to much to get it straight. I worked my bondo down to 180, used high build primer, blocked it with 320, primed it again, blocked with 320 again and then went over it with 600 with a soft wetsanding pad. I was supprised for my first time doing body work and blocksanding it came out pritty good. Only one spot on the car on the pass side quarter were i welded the replacement quarter in you can see a slight line were i but welded the quarter together.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  215.4 KBHats off to you. I was wanting to do my own car too but life caught up and took all my time. My grandfather broke his hip and I helped care for him. Have a two year old now. Typical story ;)

I started really working on it about 2 years ago. Did front disc, complete motor with all the goodies, 18" wheels all around and a full color change. I just picked up a fully built 12 bolt with 3.07 gear disc to disc. Debating if I want to do the ridetech set up. I like the pro touring/resto mod look. My car was a pig stock and my current Prius will out handle it. Driving straight to me is boring

I'm going with sizzling crimson mica from an Avalon. A little similar to your color but more red. I love the color you choose. It will look great even 30 years from now. Waves and blemishes would bother me so I decided to have a professional do it.

Can you shoot over some pics of the sides from the rear in the sun? Would love to see some more in the sun.

Sure im working a double now and dont get great service at work. Not even suppose to have a phone in the facility. Shhh dont tell anyone. As soon as i get home ill see if i have any more pics on my phone. If not ill take some new ones. Prob going to end up doing another double tomorrow to so ill take some on sun. I did all the metal/welding work on my car but my buddy did do a bulk of the initial dondo work. Once he did that he guided me on how to do the finish sanding and get it ready for paint. This was my first time doing bodywork so he helped me along the way. I dont have any kids yet so i can afford to have time for my toys. I prob average at least a good two hours a day for the cars after work and prob bout 6-8 on my days off. Thankfully i have a good job so i can pay for them to. I do pretty much everything myself with help from a few friends when i need it. The lemans is my big dollar car. I have about $25-30k in it. My 65 tempest i have about $6k in that car and my 36 i built that for $5k. Ill put up some pics when i get home.

I'm in my car for
      Paint 14.5k
      Wheels & tires 2k
      Brakes 1.5k
      Motor 6k
      Rear diff w/Wilwood dynalites 1.6

This hobby is such a money pit. I originally budgeted 7k for paint but my first painter f$&)( me. He left my car outside in bare metal for a month and used 500.00 dollars worth of material on another customers car. He was supposed to finish it in 8 weeks but after a month of nothing and no contact, I towed my car home. I originally paid him 3000 for a deposit with a cc to get the ball rolling. He didn't have the money to refund me but I was able to dispute it with my cc company and got a full refund. Because of the rust it needed media blasting. An extra 1500.00. My new painter wouldn't guarantee the paint if I didn't. I'm paying him 8-9k for full body work and reassembly. That includes all body work and two blocking primer sessions. It's in primer now after 10 Months :(

You can text me pics. I'll send you some more of my project too. Number is below

510-406-9206

P.s. Glad the wife isn't on the forum

Sean that sucks. Ive heard a few horror stories like that one guy i work with is doing a 68 gto abd was having a guy up state NY do his metal work and paint. The guy was doing a good job (just taking a while) but as he was getting ready for paint he called my friend up and said you have to come get your car cause im moving to florida. So he had to go get his car, all his parts and try n get some money back from him. Then theres the hassell of trying to find another guy to do the work thats not going to rip you off. Thats why i try and do as much myself as i can. Thankfully my buddy did some of the bonda for me so in all the paint work i spent about $1k on paint n clear, $1k on materials ( bondo ,primer,ext) and i gave him about $3k for his work and able to use his shop. So all in all my paint cost about $5k. $10k in drivetrain and another $12-15k in suspension, body panels, electrical, pluming, interior, brakes, bumper, trim, srews, nut/bolts and all the other little pieces. Basicly the only things in the car that was used from the old car that wasnt rebuilt or restored are the front seats, door panels and kick panels. " building a car is like getting married the first time you do it for love the second time you do it for money"

My original budget was 12-15 but everything you buy needs other stuff to go with it. Like my roller cam. I needed a new polymer gear and custom push rods. My paint is super expensive because of the pigments. I think 1.5 gallons was 740.00. I went top of the line ppg for all the products. I never want to paint this car again.

I don't understand the body industry. I basically threatened my body guy with a law suit. We had a verbal and text contract that it would be done in two months. He just feed me bs for 8/9 months. He's finally rolling on now and the time consuming part is done. Just need to block/re prime two more times. Then the fun painting begins. These body guys always bit off more than they can chew and use deposit for high dollar cars. I made the mistake of putting a deposit down. No that we square with the body and deposit I no longer have a credit. I will now pay him after each step. I also call them every day or two and ask for pictures.

Its been a while but got the car 99% done. Just a couple little things to finish. Been driving it for about a year now and put around 300 miles on it. Heres a video. https://www.facebook.com/robert.menn...09644550618034

Just put on my new wheels. Took a long time to find a set of wheels with the back spacing i needed without getting custom wheel. I was going to get the billet specialties dagger wheels but there around $550 per wheel. I have disc brakes on the front with a 245/45/18 tire so i needed a deeper backspacing. The wheels i got are 18x8.5 so i got them with a 5.5 backspacing and they fit with no rubbing anywhere. The rears were a pain cause i have a 68 12 bolt with a c-clip eliminater kit and disc brakes so its wider than a stock 64-67 rear. The wheels are 18x9.5 with a 275/40/18 tire so the backspacing is 6.75. They fit perfect with about 1/4 to the frame and outer lip. Wheels are vision 142. They are a cast wheel and come in alot of differecnt backspacing. Got all 4 for $560 from wheels for less.com. Much better than spending almost $4000 for a set. Wheels and tires were around $1000.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

awesome work

Beautiful car. Brown is definitely a color that isn't used enough.

Looks great. Maybe I missed it but what color is that?

My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com