Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
      OK please be patient with me, i've got more questions:
      Just to baseline everyone, its going in a 67 camaro LSX454 with T56. The EFI is currently at the engine builder because we're going to dyno it after the build so all i have is the paperwork.
      Here's all the gauges i'm expecting to use in the car
      Speedo
      Tach
      A/F
      Volt
      Fuel level (direct to tank 0 - 90 ohms)
      Water Temp
      Oil Temp
      Oil Pressure
      Fuel Pressure
      I'd like to use the HP signal because its already there and conditioned but you mention only 0 -5v signals are doable.....which signals from my above list are 0 -5v? I'm assuming the others i'll just have to run a separate transducer to get my signal to the gauge, kinda like piggy backing the Holley harnesses. Unless Holley comes up with some better looking gauges in a couple months......just IMO

Country Flag: United States
      You should contact the gauge manufacturer and get the sending unit information for each gauge. Then we can compare. Several of the auto meter gauges use a 0-4v sending unit.

I recently installed the HP EFI in my car with an LS, and I used a complete set of SpeedHut gauges. I did NOT integrate most of the gauges into the HP EFI. The one that I did was the tach. There is an output from the ECU which can drive a tach, so that made life a little easier. From memory, here is how I recall setting up my gauges:

Speedo - direct to the T56 Magnum
      Tach - driven from the HP EFI
      Voltage - connected to my bulkhead in the cab, the other side of which is connected to the starter and alternator
      Oil Pressure - I teed into the feed from the block. The Speedhut sensor was connected to 1 side and them to the gauge, and a Holley pressure sensor (don't recall the part number, but it's about $90 per sensor as I recall) was connected to the other. This is a case where you MIGHT be able to just use 1, but I didn't try.
      Oil Temp - SpeedHut sensor installed into the oil pan (doesn't go to the ECU)
      Coolant temp - SpeedHut sensor installed in one cylinder head, Holley sensor installed into the other one (again, didn't try to share this one)
      Fuel Pressure - Used an AN fitting at the input to my fuel rail to tap in the Speedhut sensor for my gauge, and used another one on the other end of my rail to install the second of those $90 Holley sensors to run to the ECU.

So, I did not attempt to share, but there wasn't a lot of trouble to run these extra sensors.

You can almost see the 2 oil pressure sensors and one of the fuel pressure sensors in this picture:

Hope this helps some...
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Pin location A28 is the wire to use for the tach when using the ls1/ls2 harnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      I recently installed the HP EFI in my car with an LS, and I used a complete set of SpeedHut gauges. I did NOT integrate most of the gauges into the HP EFI. The one that I did was the tach. There is an output from the ECU which can drive a tach, so that made life a little easier. From memory, here is how I recall setting up my gauges:

Speedo - direct to the T56 Magnum
      Tach - driven from the HP EFI
      Voltage - connected to my bulkhead in the cab, the other side of which is connected to the starter and alternator
      Oil Pressure - I teed into the feed from the block. The Speedhut sensor was connected to 1 side and them to the gauge, and a Holley pressure sensor (don't recall the part number, but it's about $90 per sensor as I recall) was connected to the other. This is a case where you MIGHT be able to just use 1, but I didn't try.
      Oil Temp - SpeedHut sensor installed into the oil pan (doesn't go to the ECU)
      Coolant temp - SpeedHut sensor installed in one cylinder head, Holley sensor installed into the other one (again, didn't try to share this one)
      Fuel Pressure - Used an AN fitting at the input to my fuel rail to tap in the Speedhut sensor for my gauge, and used another one on the other end of my rail to install the second of those $90 Holley sensors to run to the ECU.

So, I did not attempt to share, but there wasn't a lot of trouble to run these extra sensors.

You can almost see the 2 oil pressure sensors and one of the fuel pressure sensors in this picture:

Hope this helps some...
      Helps a bunch....really appreciate it...it seems i'll do the same although i want to run an A/F gauge which means additional sensor because i don't think i can tee that....

Quote Originally Posted by dj94gt View Post
      If you are wanting to play with inputs and outputs, please add the input/output icf. If you don't know how, go to help, contents, then search for inputs individual configuration library. There are a few basic I/o listed under system parameter for iac kick, 2nd fuel pump, electric fans, etc. since you asked specifically about the I/o, I would add the icf. That way you can play with setting up a sensor or device on any voltage scale, thermistor, etc
      I tried to add a configuration and don't see any to choose from. It appears for an I/O it needs an .io file. Maybe these don't come with the online download?

When you go to the icf library, you must change the file type in the bottom bar of the window. For example, when you select the input output folder nothing will show. But when you select input/output in the file type you will now have an option appear

Disregard , found my answer.

I'm in the middle of a 5th gen Camaro fuel pump swap for my Chevelle. The previous setup was a small AC Delco electric pump, intank with an external bypass regulator and I just used the std fuel pump output (green wire). Since the Camaro pump modules are factory pwm controlled, I'd like to us the HP PWM outputs to control it. I have solid state relays inplace already, but my question is more on the HP EFI setup of the actual output.
      Could I use the standard fuel pump output (green wire) as a triggered input for the PWM output? Or I see there is an option to select "Fuel PW" under sensor input triggers...what is fuel pw? It's my understanding that the standard fuel pump output (green wire) is a conditional output already, plus had the prime feature at key on, so using it as a safe input makes sense to me.

I have my electric fan using a PWM output successfully, but that uses CTS input for a trigger, pretty straight forward setup there.
      Any recommendations would be appreciated!
      Aaron
      65 Chevelle, LS1 with a T56
      Project G-Velle

Quote Originally Posted by dj94gt View Post
      When you go to the icf library, you must change the file type in the bottom bar of the window. For example, when you select the input output folder nothing will show. But when you select input/output in the file type you will now have an option appear
      I don't find an ICF library at all. Just a folder, some DLLs and the EXE. Is there a place online do download the library? Thanks

Alright putting the dominator in my 67 camaro. Lsx454, dbw .. Running the ls2 harness and dbw harness also. I tried to configure the tb to do the tps autoset but it errors every time. I tried all the Gm tb options.
      I talked to Holley and the rep told me they will have to get with their engineer on Monday to see if they can give me the setting for my throttle body. Would anyone know where I can find these settings or have a way to figure out what they need to be. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Steven
      67 Camaro - LSX454 w/ T56 Magnum

Guys,

Just a heads up for everyone. I was overwhelmed with price on the dominator set up and stressing I could get all the correct parts al le carte. Holley doesn't offer a simple dominator upgrade, if you want the dominator you have to do your own research etc. No issue with Holley however via email the part list the reps sent me was like 5 parts lol. There's WAY more to it (stuff you won't think of like gaskets, o2 bung, adapters etc). Maybe not a huge deal to you guys with a parts store down the road I guess, but mines a daily driver and I don't have that commodity so I need all the parts on hand for a weekend install.
      Anyways----I asked very nicely for the inside scoop before committing so much money and Holley is working on a box that will add inputs/outputs to the HP! I just wanted a system with that capability in case I go twin turbo etc in the future and this will allow me to do all that and save a lot of money. Don't need the inputs/outputs now. So I'm going with the HP kit with tanks inc set up and XRP hoses and fittings. All under 4k. Mike at sk-speed hooked me up. Awesome guy. Only capabilities I'd lose is dual o2 sensors and trans control (have a manual). Saved a grand because of extra parts and the headache. Anyways, just wanted to spread the info to help before you commit to something you don't need. Hope it helps. Just finished parting everything out, so I can offer some insight if you guys need to know anything. Seems like an AWESOME system.

-Paul
      Athena: '68 Chevelle, 454, Holley EFI, T-56, SC&C suspension---Raising hell on the Autobahn and German back roads!

Currently stationed in Germany, and shes my daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by youngmuscle View Post
      Guys,

Just a heads up for everyone. I was overwhelmed with price on the dominator set up and stressing I could get all the correct parts al le carte. Holley doesn't offer a simple dominator upgrade, if you want the dominator you have to do your own research etc. No issue with Holley however via email the part list the reps sent me was like 5 parts lol. There's WAY more to it (stuff you won't think of like gaskets, o2 bung, adapters etc). Maybe not a huge deal to you guys with a parts store down the road I guess, but mines a daily driver and I don't have that commodity so I need all the parts on hand for a weekend install.
      Anyways----I asked very nicely for the inside scoop before committing so much money and Holley is working on a box that will add inputs/outputs to the HP! I just wanted a system with that capability in case I go twin turbo etc in the future and this will allow me to do all that and save a lot of money. Don't need the inputs/outputs now. So I'm going with the HP kit with tanks inc set up and XRP hoses and fittings. All under 4k. Mike at sk-speed hooked me up. Awesome guy. Only capabilities I'd lose is dual o2 sensors and trans control (have a manual). Saved a grand because of extra parts and the headache. Anyways, just wanted to spread the info to help before you commit to something you don't need. Hope it helps. Just finished parting everything out, so I can offer some insight if you guys need to know anything. Seems like an AWESOME system.

-Paul
      I'm happy you reached out to a dealer that helped you get on board with a Holley EFI system. However I want to clarify something. The add on module/box to give the HP ECU more inputs/outputs hasn't been confirmed nor denied, and no definite date has been set. I asked about this very feature a week ago. To boot, the retail price gap from HP to dominator is $7xx.00 That is generally a 600-650 gap net price. I would almost say the add on module will be between $285-$475 if/when it becomes a reality. I'll try to reach out to my contacts to see if I can get a little more information one way or the other on these modules. You are correct it is an AWESOME system, and you'll love it. Just start with basics. Clean proper wiring, and follow the instructions inside the software.

Dj,

Yeah, I don't want to jump the gun but it really does add up to more than just $700. If you were to actually write out all the parts and differences, buying separately really adds up. Many people are going dominator because of unknown future upgrades. Even $700 is a lot to invest "just because". Again the hp doesn't have dual o2 and the upgraded input box isn't definite but to me if Holley added it as an upgrade it would really help the consumer. Another sway for me, like I said, was the lack of information on choosing the dominator and all necessary parts. Either way, information is free and I thought it would add to a thoughtful discussion and maybe help more people than just myself. It will be an outstanding system either way. Btw, Any word on compatibility with MSD's new "brainwave" at sema or perhaps a similar product from Holley? Just curious. Hope I didn't "leak" any bad information, just would feel guilty keeping it to myself while others on the forum wrangle with the same issue I had.

-Paul
      Athena: '68 Chevelle, 454, Holley EFI, T-56, SC&C suspension---Raising hell on the Autobahn and German back roads!

I almost got the dominator but to me only real difference was the ability to run 2 o2 sensors, trans ecu and driveby for gas pedal.. and what an extra set of injectors?
      only thing that may have been worthwhile would be the dual wideband setup..wasnt worth it for me and my plans are a twin-turbo engine

hp to dominator, their isnt really a allot of different parts between the two, and you can by el carte through a board member here

https://www.pro-touring.com/members/6694-64duece
      his homepage
      http://mooreracecraft.com/
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
      I almost got the dominator but to me only real difference was the ability to run 2 o2 sensors, trans ecu and driveby for gas pedal.. and what an extra set of injectors?
      only thing that may have been worthwhile would be the dual wideband setup..wasnt worth it for me and my plans are a twin-turbo engine

hp to dominator, their isnt really a allot of different parts between the two, and you can by el carte through a board member here

https://www.pro-touring.com/members/6694-64duece
      his homepage
      http://mooreracecraft.com/

Awesome. Yeah I'm considering turbos later so good to know the hp fits your needs. I figured I could swap the 02 sensor between the headers with every oil change if I went twins to ensure nothing fishy was going on. Eh, I'll cross that bridge when it comes. I just can't wait to get the hell outta here, back in Germany with a beer, some CCR and installing this system lol. I could barely spin the tires everything was so outta tune the month before I deployed when I got the car off the boat (timing etc) it's going to be like driving a whole different car. Also can't wait to tell you guys what my BBC gas mileage with my t56 is everyday lol. Might be able to have my cake and eat it too. Definitely excited

Retail price from hp ecu to dominator ecu is $780 retail there's not a complete kit to compare hp to dominator because of the options. 90% of my hp customers with boosted or nitrous assisted engines call back to get a dominator ecu once they figure out what can be accomplished by using theat ecu. About 10% are 100% satisfied with the hp for their respective applications. Either way you'll love the system. For the unknowing or people such as yourself that can't sit online there is a much better alternative than sitting on hold for holleys tech line. Use their dealers! Go to Holley.com and hover your mouse over the "shop" tab. You will see an option for authorized Holley Efi dealers tuners and installation shops. Most of the dealers on there (myself included) will be happy to answer any/all questions you have, and have incentives to buy from that dealer. If anyone on here should have questions about a purchase please post up. I can't answer all internet questions as I do have work to perform and customers to support. But I try to pop in here often to lend a hand. I've not been to sema so I'll have to read up on the msd and get back to you.

Any word on a bigger log screen yet ?

I think you should consider the Dominator for the I/O outputs available. You WILL use them as you figure out your combos and want to get more data and engine safeguards. I run a twin setup with a Dominator ECU. I'm running 16 injectors, two fuel pumps, and 8 EGT's for example. Each EGT is a separate channel and aside from tuning, each one can be configured to pull timing, add fuel, reduce boost, etc when my user programmed temperature is reached. As for the injectors, i don't have to compromise with a large injector that is difficult to modulate down for idle. I can have one set of injectors for driving and moderate boost, and bring on the second set seamlessly when duty cycle reaches a programmed threshold. Same with the fuel pump. You don't need to play with voltage to make a big pump work on a dual purpose car. I run twin Dominator pumps that are really two pumps in one, so call it four pumps. Each pump can be brought online as duty cycle demands, boost referenced, fuel trim, etc…

Your getting basically a Racepak data setup, transmission controller, boost controller, traction control controller with an engine management computer thrown in, that most importantly, all work together.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Quote Originally Posted by GBNL View Post
      Any word on a bigger log screen yet ?
      Bigger log screen? If you're talking about the touch screen/dash it's coming mid year.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com