Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Hi Derek (or anyone else who knows),

I'm about to install my EFI system on my LS2 setup. From what I gather, the harness kit does not include sensors for the water temp and IAT. Can you please suggest which sensors to use? The manual says that any sensor can be used, you just have to set the SW appropriately. However, I'm not sure whether there is a specific list of supported sensors, or perhaps "easier to use" ones?

I hope to have this done in the next 2 weeks, so any advice you can send would be appreciated!

Additionally, it appears that I can optionally monitor the fuel and oil pressure in the unit. Is there any functional use of those two inputs, or simply the ability to monitor them if I attach sensors? In other words, is there a 'shutdown' type mode if the oil pressure drops, or a way to trigger a warning light if the pressure is below a certain level?

Thanx!
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post

I'm about to install my EFI system on my LS2 setup. From what I gather, the harness kit does not include sensors for the water temp and IAT. Can you please suggest which sensors to use? The manual says that any sensor can be used, you just have to set the SW appropriately. However, I'm not sure whether there is a specific list of supported sensors, or perhaps "easier to use" ones?

I hope to have this done in the next 2 weeks, so any advice you can send would be appreciated!

Additionally, it appears that I can optionally monitor the fuel and oil pressure in the unit. Is there any functional use of those two inputs, or simply the ability to monitor them if I attach sensors? In other words, is there a 'shutdown' type mode if the oil pressure drops, or a way to trigger a warning light if the pressure is below a certain level?

Thanx!
      I suggest using the factory LS2 IAT, and CTS sensor for your application. Once installed, you will select the LS sensors in the drop down menu(s). These should be plug n play with your harness as well, otherwise you would need to change the connectors. When using the fuel/oil pressure transducers, you will have the ability to program a warning light output, or failsafe should the pressure drop below the rating you choose. Personally I run as many sensors as possible to have as much data as possible, and have the two step activated when oil pressure/fuel pressure fall below their recommended ranges. Best of luck with the install. If you need anything else, feel free to ask. Thanks - Derek
      No longer working at Holley

Thanx Derek, I will hunt for those. You wouldn't happen to have part numbers, would you?

Also, do I similarly need an LS2 MAP sensor for this setup?
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

I'm sorry, I don't have the OE numbers, and yes, you would use the factory LS2 MAP as long as your combo is naturally aspirated.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post

Thanx!
      You can shutdown or trigger anything on all your sensors. Here is a screen shot I took for you. Just tell it what you want it to do!

Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

I laid my harness out today and connected to the sensors / injectors / ignition for my engine. I have a few more questions.

Does the HP EFI / LS2 harness support controlling electric fans? Do I need to use 2 programmable outputs for this function, or am I missing something else in the harness? I read through the Wiring Manual document, and I didn't find anything about fans...

My engine does not have knock sensors currently installed. The harness does have connectors for them. As a general rule, do you recommend using them? I'm unclear on whether it's as simple as purchasing a pair of sensors and screwing (torquing) them into the block / connecting the harness, or is there 'tuning' of the sensors to do?

Then I found the following notice while searching for info today:

Note regarding Holley GM LSx with front mounted camshaft sensors

Two things affect me from that (my harness was purchased before the March 2012 date):

- Can I just change the cam-sensor connector on my harness to plug directly into the cam sensor? I don't have the OEM 'sub harness' shown in that picture... :( That would be much easier that acquiring the OEM piece and adding another pair of connectors to the setup...

- Would it be possible for me to add the tach output from the ECU to drive my tach? I have no idea how I will send a signal to the tach otherwise. Is there any chance I could get you guys to send me a wire with the appropriate end on it if it's just a matter of adding a single wire to the harness? I have a feeling, based on reading the schematic, that I just need to add a pin/wire to connector P1A, pin A28, but I definitely need confirmation on this!

I appreciate any help / answers! I'm getting closer to trying to fire this thing up...
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

I laid my harness out today and connected to the sensors / injectors / ignition for my engine. I have a few more questions.

Does the HP EFI / LS2 harness support controlling electric fans? Do I need to use 2 programmable outputs for this function, or am I missing something else in the harness? I read through the Wiring Manual document, and I didn't find anything about fans...

Yes that harness (just like the other engine harness's) have a provision for 4 inputs/4 outputs. To make wiring easier, I suggest the use of I/O harness 558-400. It will plug into the I/O connector on the engine harness.

My engine does not have knock sensors currently installed. The harness does have connectors for them. As a general rule, do you recommend using them? I'm unclear on whether it's as simple as purchasing a pair of sensors and screwing (torquing) them into the block / connecting the harness, or is there 'tuning' of the sensors to do? On an engine that is subject to boost, or nitrous, I run them. If it is simply a N/A engine, I don't deem them as a necessity. When they are used, the end user/tuner must configure the sensor type, and sensitivity. There is not a 1 size fit's all canned setting for these.

Then I found the following notice while searching for info today:

Note regarding Holley GM LSx with front mounted camshaft sensors

Two things affect me from that (my harness was purchased before the March 2012 date):

- Can I just change the cam-sensor connector on my harness to plug directly into the cam sensor? I don't have the OEM 'sub harness' shown in that picture... :( That would be much easier that acquiring the OEM piece and adding another pair of connectors to the setup... You can change the connector, however be aware that the OEM extension harness swapped the pin locations on A & C.

- Would it be possible for me to add the tach output from the ECU to drive my tach? I have no idea how I will send a signal to the tach otherwise. Is there any chance I could get you guys to send me a wire with the appropriate end on it if it's just a matter of adding a single wire to the harness? I have a feeling, based on reading the schematic, that I just need to add a pin/wire to connector P1A, pin A28, but I definitely need confirmation on this! You are correct on the A28 pin location for a tach output. If your harness has the yellow wire in the A1 location, just relocate it to A28. The A1 terminal is not used on LS applications.

I appreciate any help / answers! I'm getting closer to trying to fire this thing up.

Derek,
      I have a ford 331 w/ BG 750 speed demon and edelbrock victor manifold , in the 450-460hp range, tied into T56 trans. We'll be using an aeromtive stealth fuel cell w/ the eliminator pump. Was very interested in the Terminator EFI. Any suggestions on converting to the EFI.
      Also, any idea on when this will be available?

Quote Originally Posted by riles View Post
      Derek,
      I have a ford 331 w/ BG 750 speed demon and edelbrock victor manifold , in the 450-460hp range, tied into T56 trans. We'll be using an aeromtive stealth fuel cell w/ the eliminator pump. Was very interested in the Terminator EFI. Any suggestions on converting to the EFI.
      Also, any idea on when this will be available?
      The Terminator will be a really nice TBI system. It should be out next month according to product management. The eliminator pump may be overkill, but should accomodate anything you throw at it in a TBI application. To make the most out of your setup, I'd consider a TFI distributor, so that you can let the ECU control timing.

Thanx Derek! I will tackle all of this this coming weekend. Hope to start it up within a couple of weeks.
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

Keep me posted. Send me a link to pics as well!

I am at the point in my build where I need to decide what EFI setup to go with. A lot of people are recommending the Holley Dominator EFI system to me. And I have looked it (and other brands) over. Originally I was seriously considering brand F. However, after additional research I am now convinced that brand H is a better decision for me. I do have some questions about the add on 5.7" display. Not so much as the programming input device, though not having to connect a laptop to tune is a nice feature. I am looking for more info into using the screen as a gauge display. Have seen some pics of it being used this way and curious to know more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SDMAN View Post
      I am at the point in my build where I need to decide what EFI setup to go with. A lot of people are recommending the Holley Dominator EFI system to me. And I have looked it (and other brands) over. Originally I was seriously considering brand F. However, after additional research I am now convinced that brand H is a better decision for me. I do have some questions about the add on 5.7" display. Not so much as the programming input device, though not having to connect a laptop to tune is a nice feature. I am looking for more info into using the screen as a gauge display. Have seen some pics of it being used this way and curious to know more about it.
      Here is a link to a thread with the TS installed... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=556853

Aloha Derek, on the Dominator does the transmission controller have a self learn feature also?
      This would be for a BBC 540, 4L80e set up
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Derek@Holley View Post
      Here is a link to a thread with the TS installed... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=556853
      Perfect. So lets say I plan on using the screen with the 6 analog gauges. Are there multiple screens available with this same layout? Example. One screen with 2 A/F, oil press, oil temp, water temp and volts. Another screen with 2 A/F, F and R brake press, trans temp and diff temp?

Quote Originally Posted by alky View Post
      Aloha Derek, on the Dominator does the transmission controller have a self learn feature also?
      This would be for a BBC 540, 4L80e set up
      Thanks
      The only table that "self learns" if the main fuel table. The transmission control section is tuned via basic graphs in TPS vs Speed or Map vs Speed for part throttle shifts. WOT is done via RPM shift point. TCC has a slew of parameters to control what gear, load and how it apply/release is handled. All can be done on the fly.
      Dennis
      Moore Racecraft

Quote Originally Posted by SDMAN View Post
      Perfect. So lets say I plan on using the screen with the 6 analog gauges. Are there multiple screens available with this same layout? Example. One screen with 2 A/F, oil press, oil temp, water temp and volts. Another screen with 2 A/F, F and R brake press, trans temp and diff temp?
      There a (2) gauge views with the (6) analog gauges that can be setup independently. However, only certain inputs may be selected as gauges. You would use this for your first example as those inputs are available. There are (4) views with (2) analog gauges and a datamonitor which displays basic values for added channels such as brake pressure, trans/diff temp. A nice feature of the datamonitor is the backround can be set to change from black to yellow (caution) or red (warning) when these are setup. Makes seeing an issue a glance away.... Finally there are (2) Racepak style which are digital type w/ blue screen backround. Again, only certain inputs may be selected for these gauges. The color of the digital value changes when caution/warnings levels are reached

Analog Gauges

Analog w/ Data Monitor

"Racepak Type"

Selection Screen
      Dennis
      Moore Racecraft

[QUOTE=64duece;978334]There a (2) gauge views with the (6) analog gauges that can be setup independently. However, only certain inputs may be selected as gauges. You would use this for your first example as those inputs are available. There are (4) views with (2) analog gauges and a datamonitor which displays basic values for added channels such as brake pressure, trans/diff temp. A nice feature of the datamonitor is the backround can be set to change from black to yellow (caution) or red (warning) when these are setup. Makes seeing an issue a glance away.... Finally there are (2) Racepak style which are digital type w/ blue screen backround. Again, only certain inputs may be selected for these gauges. The color of the digital value changes when caution/warnings levels are reached

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      OK. 64duece, that helps a ton. Thanks. This display will definitely work for everything I would like to do.

Thanks for the info on Trans control Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Derek@Holley View Post
      - Would it be possible for me to add the tach output from the ECU to drive my tach? I have no idea how I will send a signal to the tach otherwise. Is there any chance I could get you guys to send me a wire with the appropriate end on it if it's just a matter of adding a single wire to the harness? I have a feeling, based on reading the schematic, that I just need to add a pin/wire to connector P1A, pin A28, but I definitely need confirmation on this! You are correct on the A28 pin location for a tach output. If your harness has the yellow wire in the A1 location, just relocate it to A28. The A1 terminal is not used on LS applications.
      Derek,

I looked at this over the weekend. Before I go digging with various tools, is there any particular trick to removing the pin from the A1 location? Any special tool required, or something simple which I can do?

Thanx!
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com