Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

RTTH VIII Pics (2012)

Ok I am finally putting up my pics!!! Since both Kim and I participated in the event we don't have that many pics. Here is what we both took.

Thursday: Spent the entire day driving to the event. She drove her cobra while I trailered my monte. No issues on the road!!

Thursday night we met up with my buddy Scott from GNS Performance for some dinner.

You can find his website here: http://www.gnsperformance.com/
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

Friday:

Friday was the autox school. I had Ryan Matthews from DSE every time as an instructor while Kim had Billy Utley and Kyle Tucker. The instructors were running around all over the place getting into the cars. It was really a great experience I we both learned alot!!!

Kyle giving Kim some autox instruction before heading out onto the course.

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

There were two courses on Friday for the autox school. There was the full "autox" course and then there was a smaller, more technical, course where you could really practice certain skills.

These pics are from the smaller course.

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

More from Friday's autox school....

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

After the autoX school was over a couple of us decided to take our cars and go to the "Tail of the Dragon". This is actually rt.129 in North Carolina and is 318 turns in 11 miles. It was awesome!!!

This is the group at Deals Gap which is a lil rest stop/bar at the end of the "dragon".

At one of the many pull offs along the road.

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

After the cruise on the Dragon we all met up at Precision Hot Rods for a big dinner! Lots of cool cars there...but for some reason I don't have any pics of the dinner! Fail on my part.
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

SATURDAY: AUTOX TIME!!!!!!

See...there is a reason for the decals!!!!

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

Scott from GNS Performance in da house!!!!!!!

Now it was our turn to be cone workers....

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

Time for the second run groups parade lap.

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

Now here is where the trouble starts!!! During our second session of the day Kim's brake hose decided that it didn't like the autox and literally popped. This is a braided steel Stop Tech brake hose and it had an internal failure. Not typical...but these things do happen when you are pushing the car to its limits!!!

Here you can really see the bulge in the line where it ruptured. The fluid came pouring out of the rub hole right abouve it.

We went to a local autozone and picked up a stock brake hose and threw it on. The cobra was able to drive and stop just fine but we didn't race it anymore just to be safe.

A HUGE THANK YOU GOES OUT TO THE FARRINGTON FAMILY FOR LETTING ME USE THEIR BRAKE BLEEDER!!!!!! Very high tech and it worked perfectly!!!!

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

Saturday night was a shrimp boil at the "Toy Box" and a late night Go Kart excursion. We had too much fun and those darn go karts were way more dangerous than the autox!!!

The one and only Brian Finch...prepping for a Go Kart WAR!!!!

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

Sunday: Speed Stop Challenge!!!

I was most excited for Sunday since this was my first Speed Stop Challenge. It was a blast and my car did pretty well!!! First there was about an hour of autox fun runs then it was time for the SSC.

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

Yancy's Camaro SS from Camaro Performer's Magazine and a participants new ZL1 Camaro taking some pics for the magazine!!

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

My brother from another mother!!! This is my buddy Michael Tucker's car named "Trouble". It's my Camaro twin and such a bad a$$ car!

At the awards ceremony Kim and I were suprised to learn that she won the "Hard Luck Award"!! This is the same award that I won at RTTS for breaking my trans. She got the plaque and a really cool BFGoodrich luggage bag.

Something evil was following me home.......

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

I would just like to thank everyone who was involved in making this event a reality!!

The sponsors:

Jet Hot
      ridetech
      BFGoodrich Tires
      Baer Brakes
      Detroit Speed

All the people from the American Streetcar Series for all their hard work and dedication. This was a pretty big event and everything ran smoothly!!! Rob (RScustoms)...you are the timing master...GREAT JOB!!!!!

I'd like to thank Brian Finch, Billy Utley, Ryan Matthews and Kyle Tucker for being awesome instructors during the Friday autox school!!

Huge thanks goes out to Bill Howell for letting us party and hang out at his home and garage.

These events are much more than just going out there and thrashing on your car. It's really about the people involved and the friendships gained. Over the last three years I have really gained some great friends through these events and this site...and I can't wait until the next one!!

See you all soon.
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

Awesome write-up and pics!!!! Thanks for Sharing!

I absolutely have to make it out to more events next year!

-Sean

yes you do buddy!!! It's really a great time!!
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

Cool write-up. Good to briefly chat with you guys at the Toy Box.

Adam
      Adam
      1985 S10 - LT1 + T56
      1964 Chevy II 4-Door - LS1 + T56

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com