Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Vespel

Country Flag: United States

Vespel

It's a long shot, but I'm curious if anybody here may have a lead on a short length of Vespel or may have a drop I can buy. I need a couple sleeve bearings out of the material and can buy them from McMaster, but figured I would see if someone here might have access to it at a better deal. Thanks.

Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

Professional Plastics is much cheaper than McMaster Carr.
      They offer several grades of Vespel (SP-1, SP-21, SP-22, SP-211 & SP-3)
      Click here: http://www.professionalplastics.com/VespelDupont
      You can also send requests to [email protected]

We'll see, I just requested a quote. A drop would be perfect if possible... Thanks.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Could you do me a favor and explain what makes Vespel desirable? I am assuming you want it to build some sort of bushing out of, but I would like to know what makes it better than something like Delrin?

If I were using it for a bushing that would be one thing, but I'm using it for sleeve bearings that a tube will slide through. Vespel is superior to most any other plastic based bearing material out there in terms of its low friction properties, strength, resistance to wear and deformation, etc. I'm not an engineer, but I'm sure an engineer familiar with the stuff could explain the benefits far better than I can. It came highly recommended for my application by a former McDonnel Douglas engineer. There are MUCH cheaper alternatives, but with Vespel, I install it and don't have to worry about it again. Of course I'll check on it during my routine maintenance, but the likelihood of having to replace it or touch it is slim to none. I'm using it in my steering system and for that, I want the best material I can get my hands on.

I do find it interesting that Professional Plastics guy comes on and says ask for a quote from us, we're MUCH cheaper than McMaster, yet I haven't heard back from them on my quote request. Hmm.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com