Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Viking shocks

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Alpina View Post
      Is there a rear coil over set up in the works for the rear of a-body's?
      Hey Alpina.

We have a rear coilover kit in the works (early stages) and also are currently selling QA1's new version which is totally bolt-on. It's not the "universal" one which requires welding the cross bar up top.

thanks

ramey
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Hey Frank.

Are your current front shocks mounted below or above? With the Viking hybrid, we tend to mount the shock on top of the mounting pad since the pad is holding the load of the car. You could do the same thing with the Vikings and possibly make up that difference. Looks like $174.25 per during our sale until 10/2. Also, if you provide dimensions, I'm happy to work with you on providing travel and end to end data.

Are you looking for a replacement big spring or attempting to optimize the QA1 rates? I checked your photobucket but couldn't see what was up. Typical linear rates are around 150 lb/in with "heavy" springs being in the 170 lb/in range.

Do you still have the stock mounting location for the forward upper? Why did it move up 1.5"?

Oh, and by the way, you really know how to pick some cool wheels.

ramey

Quote Originally Posted by rfrankb4 View Post
      Ramey,

I have a 66 Chevelle with SPC upper and lower control arms. The lower arm is little deeper than the stock version. The cheepy front shocks I currently have are a little shorter than I would like. Are front shocks available with slightly longer rod ends to make up for that extra inch of distance between the mounting points?

If so how much for a pair of front shocks with the threaded body so I have the option to change to the coilover springs in the future. I currently have DSE stock height springs that are advertised at 550lb but feel like they might be softer than that.

Additionally, since we have you cornered in this thread I am attempting to straighten out my clusterFck of a rear suspension that is currently a poorly thought out mash up of QA1 coilovers, UMI control arms and upper control arm frame side mounting points that are about 1.5" higher up than the stock mounting location. My question is what spring rates do you typically recommend for the rear of these cars. My car has full interior, 1sub+ amp. in the back. battery is still under the hood. So rear weight should just slightly over normal for these cars. Shocks are mounted straight up and down not at an angle.
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Front: Currently they are mounted from the top for the same reason you stated. The additional shock height is not from a change of the upper mounting point but is built into the SPC lower control arms (SPC part number 94344). So they would just require an additional 0.75" of shock length.

For the front I am looking to just use the DSE springs I have for now with the option of going to something else in the future.

On the rear: During the frame narrowing the stock brackets were removed for coil buckets/shock mount, and upper control arms. The rear upper control arm mounting point was moved a little higher with the intention of getting those angles back somewhat closer to stock since the car is lowered a decent amount. I am still trying to figure out what to do with this side of the suspension but just need to spend some time figuring out where to place the brackets but I will be addressing this mess in the near future.
      Frank
      Mobile Alabama
      66 Chevelle pics - http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...nkb4/Chevelle/

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
      Viking has Fairlane stuff. Too small?

And Falcon.

150% different suspension. The galaxie suspension design is what ford used for nascar setups for about 20 years. Just about 0 parts interchangability between it and fairlane/falcon/mustang. Oh well. C'est la vie!

for reference lots of interchangability between galaxie, thunderbird, post 72 torino and post 74 cougar ( as well as all the full size mercury stuff). Minimal aftermarket support though.
      -Dave

Project George - '66 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback

Working on interior, body and paint now.
      Forged 306/C4. Collecting turbo parts for TT setup.

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

Hey Frank.

I believe we can get you set up with a longer shock, no problem. Hit me with a PM for part number and pricing information. I'd like to verify a few measurements if you're able to get them from your car.

thanks

ramey

Quote Originally Posted by rfrankb4 View Post
      Front: Currently they are mounted from the top for the same reason you stated. The additional shock height is not from a change of the upper mounting point but is built into the SPC lower control arms (SPC part number 94344). So they would just require an additional 0.75" of shock length.

For the front I am looking to just use the DSE springs I have for now with the option of going to something else in the future.

On the rear: During the frame narrowing the stock brackets were removed for coil buckets/shock mount, and upper control arms. The rear upper control arm mounting point was moved a little higher with the intention of getting those angles back somewhat closer to stock since the car is lowered a decent amount. I am still trying to figure out what to do with this side of the suspension but just need to spend some time figuring out where to place the brackets but I will be addressing this mess in the near future.
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

I ordered a set yesterday, so I'll soon have first hand experience with these. Just probably not till Thanksgiving (next time I'll be home).
      John McLoughlin
      1970 Pontiac Lemans
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lemans-Update

i mite be up for this....looks to be reasonably priced and made usa...good news.....i'm really interested in double adjustable shocks..mite be interested in front and rear ...i want ditch theres qa1's i got on my car now...they do ok but setup for my car properly......do they make them for lowered applications?...my car is lowered 3 inches in the rear and 2 1/2 in front.....
      1971 Chevrolet Camaro RS-Detroit Speed Equipped
      1966 Chevrolet C-10-Driver/Project truck

We have quite a few miles, including back road corner carving, on our '72 LeMans. It has the hybrid coil front with 550's. All four corners are double adjustable.

We're working closely with Viking, providing feedback, etc., and so far have been very pleased. Obviously we're trying to sell the product but also want to be sure it's as good as we think it is. Nice quality, Made in USA stuff.

Let me know if you have any particular questions.

ramey

viking need let me test there double adjustables on my 71 camaro....definately give them a test...and with GG autox in few weeks be perfect for testing lol...

Quote Originally Posted by musclecarmatt View Post
      i mite be up for this....looks to be reasonably priced and made usa...good news.....i'm really interested in double adjustable shocks..mite be interested in front and rear ...i want ditch theres qa1's i got on my car now...they do ok but setup for my car properly......do they make them for lowered applications?...my car is lowered 3 inches in the rear and 2 1/2 in front.....
      Hey Matt. Off the shelf Vikings have a similar damping curve to the QA1's. Email me at [email protected] and I can send you the dyno sheets for both. Depending on which QA1 you have, the Viking could be very similar or could be an upgrade (for example, if you have SA's, the Double Adjustable could help).

For custom length applications I'd ask you to do some measuring to make sure we don't bottom out the shock. If you have factory bump stops and are lowered with a spindle you should be ok. If you truly need a shorter shock, it'll take some work and we would have to be careful and measure twice/order once.

thanks

ramey
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Hey Matt. Off the shelf Vikings have a similar damping curve to the QA1's. Email me at [email protected] and I can send you the dyno sheets for both. Depending on which QA1 you have, the Viking could be very similar or could be an upgrade (for example, if you have SA's, the Double Adjustable could help).

For custom length applications I'd ask you to do some measuring to make sure we don't bottom out the shock. If you have factory bump stops and are lowered with a spindle you should be ok. If you truly need a shorter shock, it'll take some work and we would have to be careful and measure twice/order once.

thanks

ramey
      thanks...i sent ya an email...shocks play a big role especially on leaf spring car...looking to improve my shock package..

Country Flag: Australia
      Hi Ramey

I have a 66 Chevy II 2 door sedan LS1/t56 with a jim weimers mustang II front clip with coil over conversion lower arms. It has (I think) the QA1 economy non adjustable shocks with 500lb springs which I have never been happy with. My questions are: What do viking have for me in double adjustable? Is the A202 suitable? (I will confirm lower bolt diameter tomorrow) I need the bushed lower in the shock as heim joint lower is not road legal in Australia. I was hoping to re use the springs I already have, will they fit viking shocks OK? Shipping weight of 2 shocks only please?

Thanks, Neale

Quote Originally Posted by AUS.NOVA View Post
      Hi Ramey

I have a 66 Chevy II 2 door sedan LS1/t56 with a jim weimers mustang II front clip with coil over conversion lower arms. It has (I think) the QA1 economy non adjustable shocks with 500lb springs which I have never been happy with. My questions are: What do viking have for me in double adjustable? Is the A202 suitable? (I will confirm lower bolt diameter tomorrow) I need the bushed lower in the shock as heim joint lower is not road legal in Australia. I was hoping to re use the springs I already have, will they fit viking shocks OK? Shipping weight of 2 shocks only please?

Thanks, Neale
      Hey Neale. Thanks for the interest. I'm working on an email to you now.

thanks

ramey
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

I'm thinking about coil overs on the front with my new ride tech stuff, but didn't want to spend that much cash on theirs. These look pretty affordable. What gives? I saw that they are made in the USA... Does that mean assembled in the USA with overseas sh...stuff, or actually MADE in the USA? Sounds tasty if they're the real deal man! There's a market as you already know! LOL
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Quote Originally Posted by shmoov69 View Post
      I'm thinking about coil overs on the front with my new ride tech stuff, but didn't want to spend that much cash on theirs. These look pretty affordable. What gives? I saw that they are made in the USA... Does that mean assembled in the USA with overseas sh...stuff, or actually MADE in the USA? Sounds tasty if they're the real deal man! There's a market as you already know! LOL
      From talking with Viking, the components are sourced from machine shops across the USA and assembled in Minnesota.

The price is lower because (1) they are a newer company made up on shock industry veterans who are business and manufacturing savvy and (2) they only offer double adjustable which keeps inventory down and piece volume up. If they have to buy 10000 of one shock body instead of 3333 each non/single/double adjustable it keeps costs down.

Also, their springs are wound in the USA.

ramey
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Thanks for the info, that is definitely making me think even more about them. Dooh!!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com