Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Viking shocks

Country Flag: United States

Default Viking shocks

Has anyone used Viking shocks from UMI Performance?
    They fit my budget better than ride tech and DSE coil overs.
    I will be mainly using the car as a daily driver I don't a harsh ride, but be able to dial up more rebound and compression for autox's is nice.

We have quite a few miles, including back road corner carving, on our '72 LeMans. It has the hybrid coil front with 550's. All four corners are double adjustable.

We're working closely with Viking, providing feedback, etc., and so far have been very pleased. Obviously we're trying to sell the product but also want to be sure it's as good as we think it is. Nice quality, Made in USA stuff.

Let me know if you have any particular questions.

ramey
    Ramey Womer
    Product Development Engineer
    UMI Performance, Inc.
    ramey@umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

How much of a drop should I expect front and rear? I have a 67 Buick sport wagon.

Hi Alpina.

The rears are shock only so no ride height change.

The fronts are hybrid coil so they are adjustable from factory height to 3" below factory height. With a heavy spring you can get a bit higher than factory if you so desire.

In the case of all four corners, the damping is adjustable. In the case of the front, the damping and ride height is adjustable.

thanks

ramey
    Ramey Womer
    UMI Performance, Inc.
    ramey@umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Sorry I was referring to your lowering kit that has the front coilovers and the rear shocks and springs

Oops, sorry. We've tested both and the drops are pretty accurate in the rear. The front can be lowered accordingly to match the rear.

The A-body's tend to be pretty high. One inch lowering knocks that high look down tastefully while 2" starts to have that Pro-Tour style stance.

Thanks for the question.

ramey
    Ramey Womer
    UMI Performance, Inc.
    ramey@umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

I just saw a Viking coilover for the first time today, and it was a nice looking piece.

It'll be interesting to see what range of applications they'll cover from the start.

http://www.vi-king.com/Products.html
    Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    1987 Ford Mustang GT
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
    1991 Mazda Miata

Quote Originally Posted by 79-TA View Post
    I just saw a Viking coilover for the first time today, and it was a nice looking piece.

It'll be interesting to see what range of applications they'll cover from the start.

They are a very nice piece, I have had a few sets personally in my hands as well. We have also installed a few sets and driven on them, so far A+.

They offer a decent range of vehicles, GM, Mopar and Ford muscle cars are the main focus it seems. If we can help with an application let us know.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Ryan
    UMI Performance
    www.umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by 79-TA View Post

Hey Brett.

If you're currently driving the 79TA in you sig, Viking has the hybrid coilover for the front plus a smooth body shock-only for the front. They also have the rear shock available.

All Viking's shocks are double adjustable and I have the dyno curves available if you're interested. Just email me at ramey@umiperformance.com.

later

ramey
    Ramey Womer
    UMI Performance, Inc.
    ramey@umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
    They are a very nice piece, I have had a few sets personally in my hands as well. We have also installed a few sets and driven on them, so far A+.

They offer a decent range of vehicles, GM, Mopar and Ford muscle cars are the main focus it seems. If we can help with an application let us know.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    by chance do they offer anything for 65-68 ford galaxies? I know its a stretch, but a guy can hope!
    -Dave

Project George - '66 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback

Working on interior, body and paint now.
    Forged 306/C4. Collecting turbo parts for TT setup.

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
    by chance do they offer anything for 65-68 ford galaxies? I know its a stretch, but a guy can hope!
    Viking has Fairlane stuff. Too small?

And Falcon.
    Ramey Womer
    UMI Performance, Inc.
    ramey@umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Does Viking make their own shocks?

They do make their own shocks at their facility in Minnesota. They have a damper dyno in-house as well.
    Ramey Womer
    UMI Performance, Inc.
    ramey@umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
    Hey Brett.

If you're currently driving the 79TA in you sig, Viking has the hybrid coilover for the front plus a smooth body shock-only for the front. They also have the rear shock available.

All Viking's shocks are double adjustable and I have the dyno curves available if you're interested. Just email me at ramey@umiperformance.com.

later

ramey

Hey, thanks for the heads up on that! I'll be eyeing their 2nd gen stuff in the next few months.
    Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    1987 Ford Mustang GT
    1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
    1991 Mazda Miata

Wishing there was some user feedback on these.... I'm considering using these to complete my suspension.

Ramey,

Does Viking make a non-coilover double adjustable front shock for an A Body?
    Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
    '72 Cutlass S LS2/4L70E
    Paradise Road, Rushforth Wheels, SC&C, ATS, Street Rod Designs, Speedhut, Twist Machine

Project Motor City Madness

Hey Chris.

Viking does offer a non-coilover double adjustable. We're working on adding them to the site.

For a '72 Cutlass it would be their P/N B204. We have the A204 threaded body on our car.

When using the D/A with a standard spring, sometimes you have to take the tire off and lift the car a bit to get to the adjusters. I like to let customers know that since the hybrid coil leaves so much room for reaching in to adjust.

As for customer feedback, I've heard from probably 10 guys so far and all is well. The happiest guy was a drag racer who split-tuned his rear dampers and got rid of the hook and body roll. He called just to say how awesome his car leaves now...

Thanks for considering Viking through UMI!

ramey

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
    Wishing there was some user feedback on these.... I'm considering using these to complete my suspension.

Ramey,

Does Viking make a non-coilover double adjustable front shock for an A Body?
    Ramey Womer
    UMI Performance, Inc.
    ramey@umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Ramey,

Are you saying you are using the threaded body and just using a standard coil spring or you're using the full coilover conversion upfront? That seems like it could be a a solution for someone that could consider a conversion later. I guess I'm trying to decide before your sale ends...LOL
    Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
    '72 Cutlass S LS2/4L70E
    Paradise Road, Rushforth Wheels, SC&C, ATS, Street Rod Designs, Speedhut, Twist Machine

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
    Ramey,

Are you saying you are using the threaded body and just using a standard coil spring or you're using the full coilover conversion upfront? That seems like it could be a a solution for someone that could consider a conversion later. I guess I'm trying to decide before your sale ends...LOL
    Hey Chris.

We are using the full hybrid coilover up front.

Name:  null-160.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  125.8 KB

Good point on the threaded vs smooth. You could certainly install the threaded body shock with a standard spring and install a hybrid spring at a later date. The threads on the outside won't affect the function at all with a standard spring.

Thanks for considering Viking via UMI.

ramey
    Ramey Womer
    UMI Performance, Inc.
    ramey@umiperformance.com

Join us on Facebook!

Is there a rear coil over set up in the works for the rear of a-body's?

Ramey,

I have a 66 Chevelle with SPC upper and lower control arms. The lower arm is little deeper than the stock version. The cheepy front shocks I currently have are a little shorter than I would like. Are front shocks available with slightly longer rod ends to make up for that extra inch of distance between the mounting points?

If so how much for a pair of front shocks with the threaded body so I have the option to change to the coilover springs in the future. I currently have DSE stock height springs that are advertised at 550lb but feel like they might be softer than that.

Additionally, since we have you cornered in this thread I am attempting to straighten out my clusterFck of a rear suspension that is currently a poorly thought out mash up of QA1 coilovers, UMI control arms and upper control arm frame side mounting points that are about 1.5" higher up than the stock mounting location. My question is what spring rates do you typically recommend for the rear of these cars. My car has full interior, 1sub+ amp. in the back. Battery is still under the hood. So rear weight should just slightly over normal for these cars. Shocks are mounted straight up and down not at an angle.
    Frank
    Mobile Alabama
    66 Chevelle pics - http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...nkb4/Chevelle/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast