Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by CornHusker4Life View Post
      Ryan,

I am in the same boat. I have a 69 camaro with an LS2/4l70 that is slammed to the ground but no "real performace suspension", just a very nice show car. After seeing this event, in person, DSE recieved a phone call. I am having another 69 camaro built at BullDawg MuscleCars for autocrossing. Bill is there anyway I can get reimbursed for the money I am spending to build another 69 camaro to autocross because of you and RTTH?
      Quote Originally Posted by rmk600 View Post
      HAHA. That's great! Can't wait to see this new Camaro. Rear disc brakes and POSI going on soon. I'm probably gonna put a "For Sale" sign in my windshield over at Cruisin the Coast in Biloxi next month. If I get the right number a new build will start soon! Want a 6-speed car LS2 minimum.
      I'm in a similar situation with my truck. My truck is a nice "show" truck as it sits now. I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to make it an autocross vehicle and take away from what it's good for now. After taking a few rides with others, I'm interested in building a Camaro or Nova. Heck, I was even eyeballing a Pacer on the strip Saturday night. LOL

A P-T Pacer. That would be a site wouldn't it?
      Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Matt, I think this could be an expensive hobby/passion. LOL. By the way, I loved your truck. Been showing it to all my friends and especially my dad. He has a '69 F100 that's blue and he's owned it since '74.. trying to get him to get it into shape and using your truck as some motivation.. I'm gonna start a picture thread but here's a teaser. Hope you like it!

Ryan

'19 Ram Limited
      '66 F-100 (sold)
      '69 Camaro LS (sold)

Wow! Thanks for the pic!! I can't wait to see more! Yeah, anything in the car hobby is expensive. It all just depends on where you spend the money that makes it useful for a particular venue. Until lately, most of my money has been spent on looking good. lol
      Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Ryan,

Here is the start of the new camaro. Will start a build thread when the work gets started. I agree, expensive passion. It helps my wife does not B*tch too much. Matt, your truck is nice. I remember staring at it on Saturday.
      Name:  New camaro exterior.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  44.6 KB
      Name:  New Camaro interior.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  57.5 KB

Good start! Mini tubs are a must. Will look for your thread when it is created. And having an understanding wife seems like a huge bonus to me. LOL
      Ryan

'19 Ram Limited
      '66 F-100 (sold)
      '69 Camaro LS (sold)

I know my opinion isn't always with the masses, but personally I wouldn't mind seeing the spectators be somewhat limited, maybe to those that are actually interested in the sport like forum members and their friends. At this year's location there didn't seem to be much area for seating, and if 700 cars with at least 2 people in each car came by, 1400+ people wandering through the pits and all around the racer's lanes could get pretty hectic. How many of us have been to an event with all the idiots that get involved in the hot rod industry and seen the stupid things they do? My car is way short of a show car but I'd still rather not have some guy with 5 beers in him coming up and touching it in the pits. If the venues were limited to those that are at least somewhat involved in the sport (i.e. spend some time on forums and such) and those chaperoned by those involved, it seems it would be that much more manageable for crowd control.

The way I saw things run at the event, it was very fast paced moving cars from the pits to the lanes to the course and back to the lanes. Seems smaller crowds would keep things a little safer.
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

I agree with you. That's why I mentioned a sectioned off area for spectators. This also means extra workers and "security" to keep spectators out of the paddock area. That's where the aforementioned idea of coupons or tickets only available from sponsored sites would come in handy.
      Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

Quote Originally Posted by SRD art View Post
      I know my opinion isn't always with the masses, but personally I wouldn't mind seeing the spectators be somewhat limited, maybe to those that are actually interested in the sport like forum members and their friends. At this year's location there didn't seem to be much area for seating, and if 700 cars with at least 2 people in each car came by, 1400+ people wandering through the pits and all around the racer's lanes could get pretty hectic. How many of us have been to an event with all the idiots that get involved in the hot rod industry and seen the stupid things they do? My car is way short of a show car but I'd still rather not have some guy with 5 beers in him coming up and touching it in the pits. If the venues were limited to those that are at least somewhat involved in the sport (i.e. spend some time on forums and such) and those chaperoned by those involved, it seems it would be that much more manageable for crowd control.

The way I saw things run at the event, it was very fast paced moving cars from the pits to the lanes to the course and back to the lanes. Seems smaller crowds would keep things a little safer.

How refreshing, someone gets it......lol
      It is amazing how you see things differently when you are actually at an event rather than being an internet warrior with your opinion when your opinion doesn't even match what was there or happened.

You too Matt, you guys make 2 converts..haha
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

No one is trying to separate spectators , enthusiasts , regular-joes , wanderers-by , people with kids , or tourists from the cars or the pro-touring members ..
      This is not some elitist , class-separated event .
      Everyone is welcome ( everywhere ) at these events , and it will always be that way .
      It's just that Dollywood wouldn't let spectators at this particular event for safety reasons ( to cover Dollywoods own a** ).. you can't blame them .( The venue wasn't set-up for mass spectators )
      It's nothing more than that .
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFTATE View Post
      No one is trying to separate spectators , enthusiasts , regular-joes , wanderers-by , people with kids , or tourists from the cars or the pro-touring members ..
      This is not some elitist , class-separated event .
      Everyone is welcome ( everywhere ) at these events , and it will always be that way .
      It's just that Dollywood wouldn't let spectators at this particular event for safety reasons ( to cover Dollywoods own a** ).. you can't blame them .( The venue wasn't set-up for mass spectators )
      It's nothing more than that .
      Jeff is right here too. Different venues mean different rules, etc. El Toro used to not want any spectators, but now they have let us bring in some. They still don't want 5000 people there, neither do we.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

Guys that didn't get it...don't give up because of one bad experience. I blew a motor trying to make an event this year...My wife who was with me said, "this is a sign that you shouldn't be doing this, just give it up." So I proceeded to spend $$$ getting my ride right for this event. Althought late night thrashing only allowed me to make the Saturday Autox, I had a blast and look forward to making more events next season. Aside from the spectator/growing pains issue, the event was very well run, organized and overall well done. Next year this event (and others im sure) will come off without a hitch, but even if they don't, we are all human and should be allowed a little room for error. It shouldn't have been a total loss anyway, you had 5000 cars at the Rod Run to check out. Last 3 years I just went to the Rod Run and had a blast...I didn't know anything about pro-touring.

I agree with Ben...bigtime!!

Kim and I both had all our tools, jacks, fluids, floor mats, helmet bags, chairs, etc just sitting out in the parking lot and felt 100% comfortable doing so. If there were a ton of outside people there I know that it would be a pain to secure all the stuff we took out of our cars to compete.

He also made an excellent point on the specator safety issue. I know I went back into the pit area a bunch of times to check on things etc and it was easy because there wasn't a lot of people there. I have been to a Goodguys event where participants literally had to honk their horns to make people move out of their pit spot. That amount of spectators would be cool....but I'll pass.
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

Guys that didn't get it...don't give up because of one bad experience. I blew a motor trying to make an event this year...My wife who was with me said, "this is a sign that you shouldn't be doing this, just give it up." So I proceeded to spend $$$ getting my ride right for this event. Althought late night thrashing only allowed me to make the Saturday Autox, I had a blast and look forward to making more events next season. Aside from the spectator/growing pains issue, the event was very well run, organized and overall well done. Next year this event (and others im sure) will come off without a hitch, but even if they don't, we are all human and should be allowed a little room for error. It shouldn't have been a total loss anyway, you had 5000 cars at the Rod Run to check out. Last 3 years I just went to the Rod Run and had a blast...I didn't know anything about pro-touring.

I didn't get in & that sucks, but I loved RTTH 7. 7 was a small crowd & everyone acted like they had some sense. Everyone I talked to was awesome & the bug had bit me. Tell you the truth I liked the small crowd. I will be back next year, but hopefully be part of the small crowd. Although I like RodRun I went to attend RTTH. No hard feelings. Hey Bill save me a spot next year.

I love reading Bill Howell posts....saves me the trouble from typing EXACTLY how I feel. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by SRD art View Post
      I'm too late getting the car ready and get registered for this year but Joe (from Bulldawg Musclecars) and I are considering heading up in the wagon on Saturday just to watch and mingle. I skimmed over the website but didn't see anything about spectator pricing. Can someone tell us how much and what time we should get there? We're about 4 hours away and don't want to miss much...

Hi Ben, it was nice to meet you. I was in attendance with Wracker (as an occasional cone worker and photo grabber for his chassis tuning.... hahaha). I enjoyed seeing the "Pumpkinator" and talking to you guys. If you remember, I love Station Wagons!!!!

I tried to show you some pics of the Vega Wagon on my phone but we all know how that goes out in the sun. So here's a pic of it with the Custom A-arms and cut Cosworth Springs up front and IROC 16" wheels to fit the 4th Gen Camaro brakes. It's sitting a little high in the front, as the little 320 lb all-aluminum Buick 215 cubic inch V8 or the 3rd gen T-5 trans isn't installed (Pay no attention to the MOPAR 440 hood "resting" on there.... it's Wracker's shop shelf).
      Hopefully, next year, you can bring the Pumpkinator and I'll have the "Junkyard Dawg" (tentative name for the Wagon) in attendance and we can marvel over the outstanding attributes of STATION WAGONS!!!!

Name:  15942282_large.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  87.1 KB

As for the spectators not being allowed in...... that's fully understandable from a participant and promotor's insureance viewpoint. It would definitely suck from a spectator that was turned away viewpoint. I actually invited several family members and co-workers to come up and join in on the fun...... Because we all know how fun Bill's (as well as the other events) events are. Luckily, they didn't want to brave the Pigeon Forge Rod Run traffic and weren't turned away.

I'm sure that the next event will be much better planned and staffed to allow for this growing event to be enjoyed by many. ....... Eventhough I do prefer being one of the smaller crowd, too.

My hat goes off to all you guys that sponsored, promoted, worked and hosted to make this event so enjoyable. Thank you!
      '81 Turbo Trans Am - completely stock
      '72 Vega Kammback - 215 cubic inch Aluminum V8

My Rides: http://www.cardomain.com/cars?key=bugdewde&showflags=2

Wagons rule dude. Are there any other cars out there? Lol, j/k.

I see your point Jeff and there needs to be some interest spread out to those that aren't familiar with the sport. I grew up drag racing and after seeing the trend shifting in the g machine direction in mags it really peaked my interest but the cost was beyond me. Eventually when the time was right I bought the wagon, hacked the springs, and tried a small autocross course. No turning back from there. Now I have a car that'll be hunting pony tail next season. Needless to say I haven't had any desire to go drag racing since. I'm sure there are lots of folks out there that would do the same. My son, who is 14 and came to the event with me can't wait to get his Nova built and be old enough to join in. He reminds me almost daily that we need to get started on his car, lol!

I was visiting with another member of the forum and he suggested had we not done it the same weekend as the rod run the general public spectator count would have been way lower. In a case like that I can see letting folks in, but we'd probably need to corral them away from the pits and lanes. Way too much movement going on out there and with so many pretty cars in attendance and all our pit gear laying around that would be best.

On the other hand it would be nice to create a way for spectators to see the cars up close-ish, I don't mind answering questions and rubbing shoulders with folks that are interested in my car or the sport. I guess he who can come up with a way to make everyone happy is he who has an extremely successful event. Good luck Bill! ;)

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Another thought. If the event is limited to X amount of cars, it could become somewhat boring after a while for general spectators. With Goodguys, (I haven't been to one yet) my understanding that any of the cars there can jump into the autocross giving it a nice variety. Also spectators have the freedom to go look at show cars, swing by the course and watch a bit, go look at more cars, swing by an watch racing, ditto ditto. It would seem that those interested specifically in autocross and the g-machine movement wouldn't mind watching the same cars race again and again. So is this much of a general public venue? It would suck taking $10/ person and after 2 hours have them be annoyed or bored and leave.

Just throwing out a possible other side of the fence point of view, hopefully discussing it now can help us fine tune it so next year is an even greater success than this and on and on in the future.

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

I fully understand the difficulty in running events with spectators and insurance issues etc. With this being said maybe it would be best to A- have the event the weekend after all the Pigeon Forge "jockey lot". B-let the Pro-Touring members know that spectators will not be allowed rather than the post that I read stating the opposite.09-12-2012, 02:05 PM #12 JEFFTATE
      -Moderator-
      Country Flag:

Originally Posted by Garymac69
      At previous RTTH's spectators were welcome and no fee was charged. Has this changed?
      No , nothing has changed , spectators are still free ,
      Bill is just being funny .

This is why I showed up. Now then, with this all out in the open I assume you were referring to me as an "internet junkie"???
      Bill a little kindness will go a long way in life. Would have been nice to just say sorry it worked out this way or something of that nature. Don't expect you to kiss anyone's rear. Your attitude about this just plain sucks. Jeff I admire your attitude concerning this snafu

I visit the Rod Run every year and it's great that the RTTH is the same weekend (as I have attended for 4 years). A good friend was running and I had reserved a ride, so would have been greatly disappointed if I had been turned away. I did have a little trouble getting in and had to mention several names. Perhaps an event password could be provided for forum members.

Gary
      '69 Camaro - 427 SBC 526hp, 593 ft-lbs, Tremec TKO, Ridetech Coilover Suspension w/TruTurn, Billet-Specialties Draft 18x9, 18x12, BFG KDW 275/335

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com