Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Just a thought, maybe on the race's website, pro-touring.com, lateralg.net, etc, there could be a link to a coupon of sorts that you can print off and that's your legal entrance pass. Don't have one, you don't get in. That would be an easy way to let us in and keep the public out. On that coupon it could have a specific set of rules for spectators, like look but don't touch, stay away from the track areas, don't walk out on to the course to snap a photo of your favorite driver ;) , etc.

-Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Spectators?????

I made the trip up from NC only to be told at the entrance that it was a private outing no spectators????? They could have posted that info on their web page.

I drove from South Carolina spent $300+ on motel only to be turned away also. Not interested in attending any more of their events.

So where was it posted about spectators not being allowed? I am not trying to beat a dead horse here, I just want to not make the same mistake again. Thanks.

WOW that's CRAZY!!! I was in Pigeon Forge as well over the weekend with my black GTO and didn't get a chance to go out to view the cars but I don't get it? Its open to the public at all the Goodguy events! The way you grow a sport is to invite and include as many people you can to joing and not deny them access!! I understand that they had all they wanted for the event but to not alow access to the public was a big mistake! Thats just my 2 cents! LOL
      Kevin Turner
      Maysville, KY

3-69 Camaro's

02 S10 extended cab that's street legal & runs 10's on motor and 9's with spray.

04 GMC Denali Quadsteer truck black with black 22's.

04 GTO LS1 that loves to be sprayed and meet imports on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by BustedTruck View Post
      So where was it posted about spectators not being allowed? I am not trying to beat a dead horse here, I just want to not make the same mistake again. Thanks.
      Last post I saw said all spectators were welcomed and free of charge

Goodguys also has safety barriers set-up and the speeds are quite a bit slower. This was their first year at this location so they have some kinks to work out and they're aware of that. I think we should cut them a little slack.

GoodGuys is already a major spectator event. Their insurance is setup for spectators, and as mentioned, they have barriers up. I'm not trying to take any sides, but I understand it from both ways. I went to this event as a spectator last year, and as a participant this year. There's a lot going on at any given time with really nowhere for spectators to be safely and out of harm's way. What few sepctators that made it in were parking in the staging area in the side parking lot. After a while, there got to be enough that it started to get a bit crowded and we(drivers) had to watch out for pedestrians.

Another concern I'm sure Bill had was the rod run crowd. Bill is from Pigeon Forge, and I was born and raised here, and have attended pretty much every rod run in town since I was 8. This rod run crowd can be very curious and sometimes pushy. We're talking about people that will fist fight over a parking spot. They will jump fences, drive right past gates and security without permission and take the chance that security just won't mess with them or follow up on them. just to save a few bucks, or not be denied access somewhere. We also just had just enough workers to chase cones, run timing equipment, keep the gate, and other small operations, so ther wasn't anybody for crowd control.

Also as mentioned, this was the first time at the new venue, so things were kinda new to everyone involved. My suggestion is that Bill should work with Dollywood next year and have them charge for spectator parking in the main entrance and get a few employees for crowd control, then allow only participants to park in the "paddock" area. The Splash location actually had a decent area for spectators at the top of the hill in the gravel parking lot. It was out of harm's way, fenced, and provided a great way to view the whole track without getting in anyone's way.

I really don't think it would have been an issue at all if not for the rod run being the same weekend. Hindsight is always 20/20, but hopefully whatever they work out for next year will be more "spectator friendly".
      Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

There was a lot of last-minute communication going on between DollyWood , the Insurance Company , and others .
      It just so happened that the Insurance Company wanted a HUGE ( I'm talking astronomical ) amount of money to cover spectators at this event.
      Because of the track layout ( in proximity to the vendors and spectators viewing area ) , the Insurance company and DollyWood Officials wanted concrete road construction safety barriers installed ..( Those huge monolith concrete blocks )
      It was just too cost prohibitive to do on short notice ( SHORT NOTICE is part of the key here . The baseball stadium parking lot was still on hold as a backup plan just in case )

So , off-the-street , general public spectators were not allowed .
      BUT , any pro-touring member could have gotten in by just saying that they knew Bill , or were there to work the event .
      This point probably wasn't communicated effectively .
      But , next year this event will be set up for Vendors and Spectators of any kind . Just like GoodGuys , expect with a nice big track layout .

The event is experiencing some growing pains , it will all work out .
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

I had a great experience at this years event. It was my first time seeing autocross in person. Yes, I was a spectator. I personally have never met any of the drivers, Bill, or Jeff. I was with a buddy who is into imports and after his experience at RTTH he has changed his views on what is cool. The minute we got back to the rod run he was looking at classic american muscle cars to buy and build. This is a prime example of how great this lifestyle/community is. We did not personally know anyone and the impact it made on my buddy will last a lifetime. He will be depoying for 6 months to the desert in 2 weeks and this was kind of my send off to him. I cannot thank Bill and the rest of the organizers for putting this event on and letting us spectate even though we did not ask We stood about 5 feet back from the computer(displaying times)in amazement of what your cars can do and no one was rude to us or kicked us out. Thanks Again.

Quote Originally Posted by CornHusker4Life View Post
      I had a great experience at this years event. It was my first time seeing autocross in person. Yes, I was a spectator. I personally have never met any of the drivers, Bill, or Jeff. I was with a buddy who is into imports and after his experience at RTTH he has changed his views on what is cool. The minute we got back to the rod run he was looking at classic american muscle cars to buy and build. This is a prime example of how great this lifestyle/community is. We did not personally know anyone and the impact it made on my buddy will last a lifetime. He will be depoying for 6 months to the desert in 2 weeks and this was kind of my send off to him. I cannot thank Bill and the rest of the organizers for putting this event on and letting us spectate even though we did not ask We stood about 5 feet back from the computer(displaying times)in amazement of what your cars can do and no one was rude to us or kicked us out. Thanks Again.
      Im glad that we could provide some entertainment for your buddy who is about to deploy! Its good to know that we opened his eyes to our world!!
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

Hey Everyone~
      I am so sorry for the people who drove out, only to be turned away. As you know, this was the first year at Splash Country. When we arrived, the property owners would not allow spectators, due to insurance and liability reasons. We weren't allowed to let anyone in. Nothing was posted on the site, but that is because everyone involved with ASCS was at the track all weekend. (Those who participated can attest to that fact.) We will resolve this by next year, and everyone who is admitted (participants and/or spectators) must be on a list prior to the event. Again, my apologies to those tho were effected. :(

Here is the deal guys. This year we moved to splash country parking lot. It is much closer to PF and therefore, the Grand Run people somehow found out about the event and came in droves. We turned about 700 cars away. REASON: 1. We did not have proper insurance for that number of spectators, nor did we have proper barriers for that many people . When you go from an event with 11 cars to an event with 80 cars and that many people you do have growing pains sometimes. Anyone that came to the gate, asked for me, Brian, Yancy DSE, ridetech, Pro-touring group, baer brakes, Jet Hot coatings or just about anything that proved they were supposed to be there were welcomed. Next year we will have proper barriers, etc and let more in.
      While I hate that some of you may have not gotten in, I doubt there will ever be another event where spectators are allowed in free. It cost money to get all the things right and insurance is really cracking down on events so that just goes with the territory. I hope this clears things up as to why things were like they were.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

Quote Originally Posted by turner69camaro View Post
      WOW that's CRAZY!!! I was in Pigeon Forge as well over the weekend with my black GTO and didn't get a chance to go out to view the cars but I don't get it? Its open to the public at all the Goodguy events! The way you grow a sport is to invite and include as many people you can to joing and not deny them access!! I understand that they had all they wanted for the event but to not alow access to the public was a big mistake! Thats just my 2 cents! LOL
      Goodguys is not opened to the public. It is open to those that pay at the gate, it has a barricaded autocross that usually is about 30 seconds and maybe 40 mph. Anyone that was at RTTHs8 understands why safety to the public would have been an issue. IF you are going to offer your 2cents, get your facts right first. We are growing, and FYI, we were autocrossing before GG was on much bigger tracks. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. We are working to make this open next year, but believe it or not, safety first is our main goal.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

Cornhusker, this was also my first event and I have the same feelings about the people there. It was an eye opening event to attend and spectate and I will be building another Camaro soon that will be a little more "fit" for doing autocross. Can't wait for next year!
      Ryan

'19 Ram Limited
      '66 F-100 (sold)
      '69 Camaro LS (sold)

Ryan,

I am in the same boat. I have a 69 camaro with an LS2/4l70 that is slammed to the ground but no "real performace suspension", just a very nice show car. After seeing this event, in person, DSE recieved a phone call. I am having another 69 camaro built at BullDawg MuscleCars for autocrossing. Bill is there anyway I can get reimbursed for the money I am spending to build another 69 camaro to autocross because of you and RTTH?

Quote Originally Posted by CornHusker4Life View Post
      Ryan,

I am in the same boat. I have a 69 camaro with an LS2/4l70 that is slammed to the ground but no "real performace suspension", just a very nice show car. After seeing this event, in person, DSE recieved a phone call. I am having another 69 camaro built at BullDawg MuscleCars for autocrossing. Bill is there anyway I can get reimbursed for the money I am spending to build another 69 camaro to autocross because of you and RTTH?
      Sure, it is called the TEAM T/A contingency program. Just put on all the go fast parts, then win every event and you will be surprised how much loot you will take home at the end of the season at the Protouring dinner at SEMA..
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howell View Post
      Sure, it is called the TEAM T/A contingency program. Just put on all the go fast parts, then win every event and you will be surprised how much loot you will take home at the end of the season at the Protouring dinner at SEMA..
      Exactly what Bill said.....

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

Damn, I was just joking but that sounds sweet.

HAHA. That's great! Can't wait to see this new Camaro. Rear disc brakes and POSI going on soon. I'm probably gonna put a "For Sale" sign in my windshield over at Cruisin the Coast in Biloxi next month. If I get the right number a new build will start soon! Want a 6-speed car LS2 minimum.
      Ryan

'19 Ram Limited
      '66 F-100 (sold)
      '69 Camaro LS (sold)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com