Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Project M - 1968 Bel Air Wagon

Hey guys. I've been lerking for a while and now have my own new project.

A little background on the purpose of the new ride...

I have recently remarried. My wife had three of her own(7 yr old boy, 6 year old boy, and 4 year old girl) and I had a 4 yr old little girl. We could not all fit in either of our cars. She has a 2005 Mazda 6 and I have a 2001 Cobra Convertible.

So we are both car(old and new) lovers in general and I have wanted to build a pro-touring hotrod for some time. We decided an updated 60's wagon would be a far better family car for us then a modern minivan....it would be more fun and more affordable.

In December, my daughter Adaleigh tragically passed away but we wanted a wagons. We wanted there to always be anough room in the family car for Adaleigh.

I was favoring the Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Olds wagons since the plan is to put in a LSX and 6-speed and build a twin turbo setup. The ultimate goal is a wagon that will be a daily driver capable of making 1000hp when needed...limited to 500hp for normal use.
      The other advantage to the 60's GM models is the coil spring suspension on all four corners...make bagging it easier.

Anyway, I've frequented the site for a few months now and just now have something to add.

The car....

I found it on Facebook in Douglasville.

Its a 1968 Bel Air 6 passenger Wagon.
      Overall in pretty good condition. I had to replace a oil pressure switch only two miles away from the previous owners house, but then drove 90 miles home.

There is a little rust but nothing to really be too concerned about.
      Its a 327 4bbl, TH350, rally wheels. The engine was built 10,000 miles ago according to the seller. He had owned it for 7 years and it only had about 2 tanks of gas through it. Used it to drive the kids around the neighborhood. Unfortunately the last year of its life was sitting outside(previous 6 were in his garage). So, with the leaking weatherstripping, the floorpans will need to be addressed but I don't think they will necessarily need to be replaces...maybe just patched or POR'd.

My plan...and not necessarily in this order.

LS1(at some point this will be built to handle serious power).
      T56
      air ride
      Big wheels(preferrably staggered diameters) and tires, possibly a minitub.
      Custom twin turbo setup.

The ultimate goal is a 1000hp twin turbo streetcar. That goal, of course, will be achieved a few years down the road. But I'd like to have it twin'd within the next year or two.

I wanted a driver project so I wouldn't get burned out with constantly working on something I'd never even enjoyed. The idea is to only have the car down occasionally with time to enjoy it in between. This, I think, will turn out to be the perfect ride for me.
      Its already enjoyable to drive, just needs a little sprucing up.

I've already cleaned up the interior a little and assessed the car.
      I've installed door weatherstripping, have carpet on order, received my front end rebuild kit(BJ's, tierods, bushings), and have done a basic tune up.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on the current engine but want it to run as efficiently and reliably as possible.

Brad

Here are a few pics...including a photoshop of what it should basically look like when I'm done.

more pics....

Country Flag: United States
      They're huge cars, but have a great look. Should be fun!
      John Brown
      1971 Nova - Project Car
      1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
      Instagram @wilwaxu
      Facebook @wilwaxu

nice project. very sorry about your daughter.
      Keith C.

Quote Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
      nice project. very sorry about your daughter.
      (x2)
      1966 Pontiac Catalina Ventura
      389/TH400, Wide-Track Darksider
      Bars, springs, disc brakes, etc.

1962 Falcon 2-dr
      "just getting started"

Started to work on the front suspension this weekend only to find the looseness I felt was only wheel bearings. So I left the suspension alone and just repacked the bearings. I'll swap the suspension components when I pull the engine or when I do the airride....sometime further down the road.

I did receive my carpet in the mail, so I'm anxious to install it.
      What I need ASAP is floor pans...at least the passenger side front.

I think I can save the drivers side, its still plenty solid. Kinda will depend on how expensive replacement pans are for this car.

Rear seat floor pans look great.

Last edited by Wicked; 03-31-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added pics

I'm really sorry for the loss of your daughter. I have two girls and a wife and have always thought a wagon would be a cool cruiser for the family. Good luck.
      68 Mustang Coupe
      392 Stroker
      TKO600
      on and on...

Thanks man, I miss her everyday.

Not a lot of pro-touring going on yet, but here's an update as to the restification.

New rear axle bears
      New rear shoes, springs, wheel cylinders
      New passenger front floor pan.
      POR interior pans
      NVH material installed
      New Carpet
      Seats Vinyl Dyed(painted) Black(more like charcoal).

Its looking good to me.
      I'm hoping to order some Boss 338's and tires soon. Also looking for a motor and trans to swap in soon.

Enjoy.

Photoshop with the Boss 338's.

The photoshop looks killer!

Cool wagon! It'll be great to see another one at the events. I'm considering starting up a 'wagonmasters' club for silly folks like us who actually race station wagons. Would you be into that?

My good friend just picked up a mid-'70s Malibu wagon that'll be getting an LS7/T56 swap as well. Maybe this PT Wagon thing is catching on..?
      Scott Parkhurst

2011 Car Craft Real Street Eliminator Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parkhurst View Post

Cool wagon! It'll be great to see another one at the events. I'm considering starting up a 'wagonmasters' club for silly folks like us who actually race station wagons. Would you be into that?

My good friend just picked up a mid-'70s Malibu wagon that'll be getting an LS7/T56 swap as well. Maybe this PT Wagon thing is catching on..?
      Would I be interested? Hah. Of course.
      I'm also a member of the http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/
      Its mostly station wagons geeks more than hotrodders, but still a good resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parkhurst View Post

I'll check out your wagon from home....censors here at work.

Did you see my other pics? I can't see those either and can't tell if they posted correctly.

Those wagons look badass, great choice, plus you just don't see many of them on the road, never mind seeing one pro-toured out!! sorry to hear about your daughter, I have a 4 year old girl and a 2 year old boy and I can't imagine anything like that.
      Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

Thanks Rene.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
      I'll check out your wagon from home....censors here at work.

Did you see my other pics? I can't see those either and can't tell if they posted correctly.

Yes they look great!
      Scott Parkhurst

2011 Car Craft Real Street Eliminator Winner

The car's been sitting for a little while. We've had two kids in and out of the hospital. One(Kevin, 6) had his tonsil and adnoids taken out and tube in his ears and the other(Colby 7) was in for two weeks for a tune up(he has Cystic Fybrosis).

Anyway, I sold the Buell and bought Coy C5's.

20x10 5.5bspc in the rear with a 295/35/20 Nitto Invo.
      18x8 4.5bspc in the front with a 245/40/18 Nitto Invo.

The rears fit but I do need to gain some clearance and control of the rear end. I ordered an adjustable panhard bar and will be centering the body on the frame to make sure the rear end is centered in the wheel well and frame.

Front end was already high but with a slightly smaller tire overall diameter in the front the gap in the fender is quite unsightly.
      I will soon be ordering a drop spindle which may also advance my plans for disc brakes....I was gonna live with the drums since they seem to work just fine now.

Last edited by Wicked; 05-27-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo

And once I fix the ride height it should look like this...minus the drums I think.

looks great!!! those rims look great on there.
      Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

A little motivation
      Hosted on Fotki
      Rod B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com