Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Project Juggernaut

I thought I would start a thread about my projectan ex-cop car 1990 Crown Vic; Project Juggernaut.
      Originally I got the car for the drivetrain to put in into a ’89 notchback 4cylinder Mustang. But when I got it home I realized it was in better shape thanthe mustang. So I sent the mustang away, thinking I will grab a cheap 8cylinder mustang roller, and save me the trouble of converting the 4 cylindersuspension and etc. But I just never got around to it. In short, it hard to dosomething new with a mustang or camaro, but with a Crown Vic, everything almostis uncharted. I am not sure if that’s a good or bad thing. With it being basicallya four-door mustang, and having a full frame, I figured why not. So it’s an ex-cop car with the cop or heavy duty package. Which means it has posi,heavy duty springs, shocks, sway bars and 140 mph speedo. The car has a 351wand an AOD, part of the police package is the heavy duty oil and power steeringcooler, not the two row kind that you see on many cars but actual coolersmounted on the radiator support. It used to have A/C but I removed it, so thecurb weight is now in the low 3700lbs range, about the same as a modernmustang. Since getting the car I have added; 600cfm Holley, Edelbrock Performerintake, MSD coil, Ford Racing valve covers, BBK Chrome coated shorties for a351w swap into a mustang, these run into a 2.5” h-pipe again for a mustang,ending with Thrush turbo mufflers. Instead of the stock 2.73 gears, the 8.8 nowhas 3.73 gears, and the posi is still tight. My wheels are MB Wheels Oldschool’s 17x9.5 running Falken Ziex ZE-512 275/40/R17 all four corners. Thedoor chrome, LTD badges, and trim for a vinyl roof that the cop cars never camewith, and various holes for the light bar and spotlight have been filled. SoonI plan on painting it stain black for the time being.

At present I am working to tuckthe bumpers in until they are even with the plastic covers, and blend to makelook one piece and paint them satin black along with the trim and rest of car.Also I do not like the wheel gap, so I will clamp/cut the springs to lower, andthen once it’s worked out, buy the actual correct springs. There also aTrans-go shift kit that’s gathering dust in the garage that needs putting in.But cop vic’s have no manual 1st, they are valved that way, so I amgoing to install the right balls and valves, so I am working with the sameset-up as the kit was originally designed for.

Some near future plans are maybepull the engine this winter, and then since I removed A/C, get the “suitcase”off the firewall, and smooth. Clean up the engine bay, and while the engine isout heads and cam. Depending on money, I may just run a small cam and clean up,port and polish some E7TE’s I have laying around, and cut for larger valves. OrI might money up and grab a pair of Performer RPM’s with a roller cam. Kind ofdepends on how motivated I am to do other things on the car. I will look atdropping the engine lower and maybe back while its out. While it’s out, I willput a new oil pump, seals, and timing chain on just for cheap security. Alongthe same time I would like to grab late model Vic front and rear disc brakes.

Future and ultimate plans includea big-inch small block ford, with forced induction, six speed manual, revisingthe suspension and IRS out back. Also I would like to upgrade to 13”+ disc allfour corners. Then I would like to redo the interior. Basically the same as isnow, but better materials and some tweaks. My theme for this car is a true GTor Grand Touring car. So that means comfortable enough to drive across country,but a real beast at the track. Or AKA; Pro-Touring.
      Actually the above ideas are justa few of the multitudes of ideas I have, and inevitably include.
      I will post some pics of thehighlights of progress thus far.

Combustion of all types are a mechanical symphony, but it is the primeordial roar of an v8 the stirs a mans savage soul.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com