Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Freshening Up My 1967 SS Chevelle Convertible

I have owned this 1967 Chevelle SS Convertible for about 8 years now. I have driven the car alot and even taken it on the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2010, which was a 2000+ mile drive over a one week period. About a year ago I noticed it was smoking out of the valve cover breathers and building up a ton of crankcase pressure that I could not seem to get rid of. Below is a video of the car on the dyno while we were trying to fine tune the air/fuel mapping. If you watch towards the end of the dyno pull, you will see the breather blow off, hit the underside of the hood and bounce off the fender. Oh, I forgot to mention the car has a 572 with a D1S-C Procharger on it making about 15 pounds of boost and over 1000HP at the rear tire.

I did a compression test on the motor and found that cylinder #3 was at 30 lbs while all others were between 180-200 lbs. I decided it was time to pull the motor and tranny and freshen everything up. The transmission is a TKO-600. I pulled it apart, went through the entire unit and replaced the synchros with carbon fiber lined synchros and third gear has some excessive wear on it, so I changed that as well. A few other replacement parts and it is ready to go.

I pulled the motor and sent it to Scott Shafiroff in NY to freshen it up. I started with a stock 572, 620HP GM crate motor and added the Procharger and water/methanol injection. When Scott got the motor ripped apart, here is what he found.

Even though everything was in one piece and together, the piston had a crack between the ring lan. As you can see by the picture, it put a nice little window in the piston. Scott told me he hadn't seen that happen in a very long time. Maybe it was a combination of a little too much boost and timing, all on pump gas? I decided to have Scott make some changes and do some upgrades to the motor while he had it. Scott swapped the GM aluminum heads for a set of Brodix BBX3XTRA with a 366 runner. These heads are also CNC ported. We also added a set of Ultra Pro SS Rockers, Callico Coated Bearings, Hell Fire Rings, Cometic Head Gaskets (For the boost), New Custom Pistons with Tool Steel Pins, Hi-Rev Hyd Roller Lifters, New 7/16 Puchrods, Oil Pump and so on. After the refresh and without the Procharger, the motor made 788HP on the dyno, naturally aspirated with a carb on it.

The original motor made 1080HP at the crank with the stock 572-620HP crate motor and the Procharger. This new motor should make about 1250HP or more. Stay tuned for new dyno numbers once it's completed.

Here is the motor back in my shop, still sitting on the pallet it came in on. Sorry for the poor quality images, but they were from my camera phone.

I also decided to clean up the engine compartment while the motor was out of the car. I smoothed the firewall and stripped and painted the frame rails and inner fender wells.

Here is the car sitting covered in the shop to protect it from overspray.

Here are some pictures of the car before I started the project.

I will continue to post pics and details of the project as I get it all back together.
      1967 Chevelle SS Convertible
      1969 Camaro Ex-Race Car
      1967 Camaro RS/SS Top Sportsman (Sold-Now in Australia)

Going to finish up painting the engine compartment this weekend and try to get the motor and trans in the car in a couple of weeks.
      1969 Camaro Ex-Race Car

Beautiful car, what size wheels you got on it
      67 LeMans Convertible
      67 GTO
      69 Camaro Build Thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ost-Money-quot
      70 Chevelle 400 4spd
      70 Chevelle

Beautiful car... Keep us posted! Heres one that i have... No compare to what you have but its alright!!Name:  IMG_1576.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  20.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by KnightMare View Post
      Beautiful car, what size wheels you got on it
      The fronts are 18X9 and the rears are 18X10. The rear tires are an extremely tight fit.
      1969 Camaro Ex-Race Car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com