Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm pretty new to the sport and haven't been able to attend a big event yet but REALLY look forward to attending some next season. I enjoy track time on an amateur level, autocross, road course and drag racing. I can understand the cost to rent a large facility for several race venues, but talking with several folks that seems to be a limiting factor to some for cost reasons, especially out of staters. I can only speak for myself, but I think I'd enjoy an event that was limited to one type of racing just as much as several.

Now that I'm finally moved to Georgia, I'm finding it hard to find local pro-touring friendly events outside of SCCA, where realistically my car doesn't fit in anyways. The road course track in Utah had monthly amateur nights where you could run autocross and road course in your street car, as long as it would pass a few safety items. To get on the road course was $35 and Autocross was $10. They had a huge turnout every month. I'm now missing that.

It would be great to have smaller events in all the Run To areas, sort of a "mini run-to" series that might be every couple months and simply setting up an autocross course in a parking lot. I'd imagine the cost would be much lower and there would be more opportunity for folks to attend. Smaller events get folks excited, and would be a great way to market and possibly lead to better attendance of the big annual event where attendees have access to more venues. Just a thought...

I drive my car daily, but after a disappointing search to find local race venues recently, I almost felt like dumping all the time and $ into the car wasn't worth it with only 2 or 3 events within a few hours of here a year to beat on it.
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

I'm back in. I missed this year but will do everything to make next year. If price is a problem switch to Pocono. They have a few courses to choose from. Should be cheaper too.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

Quote Originally Posted by The Stickman View Post
      I'm back in. I missed this year but will do everything to make next year. If price is a problem switch to Pocono. They have a few courses to choose from. Should be cheaper too.
      keep the same acronym. Run to the sticks
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      keep the same acronym. Run to the sticks

So true.
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

Bill, it's obvious there is a lot of interest. Any chance of letting the locals do some digging to see if there is another viable facility we can take a shot at?
      NJSPEEDER - Tim Mullaney
      New Jersey F-body Owners Association
      www.NJFBOA.org
      NJ's home for all owners, friends, and fans of Camaros and Firebirds

what about fort Devins in Ayer, mass. It is Moore Army Airfield and is used for police training and scca on the weekends. Maybe we should look into this Place also. I have never been so i can not say how it is but i do work with a few people that race thier all the time. I am supposed to go to thompson speedway tomorrow for the modified races. i can take a look and maybe ask around for the autocross course.

Quote Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
      Bill, it's obvious there is a lot of interest. Any chance of letting the locals do some digging to see if there is another viable facility we can take a shot at?
      Im with you on this, there has to be other locations within close range in the New England area that is cheaper or easier to book for a non holiday weekend.

I don't even think it is the cost or the weekend. I think it is a matter of committing earlier so that we can get the word out. I think the date was locked in but details, hotel info, and registration weren't online until mid-February this year.

I bet everyone in the region can name at least 5 muscle and pony car clubs right off the top of their head. Same goes for manufacturers and shops that may be interested in sponsoring or bringing out some cool cars to show what they can do. It's all about word of mouth and that just takes enthusiastic locals and a little bit more notice. Judging by this thread I would say we have the regional enthusiasm covered.

-Tim
      NJSPEEDER - Tim Mullaney
      www.NJFBOA.org

I'm in. Why wait for bill? lets get some info and present to help the case.

Cool to see some early interest, it seems the East Coast is slightly behind on the PT thing (atleast in numbers) and now that more guys are spreading the word about how much fun these events are, people are really starting to take more interest. I really hope we have another event SOMEWHERE in the general North east, again, interest this early is a really good sign.

NJMP, from what i've heard and what most of us know, is just extremely expensive for Bill to put on an event and still arrive at a fair price for people to say is worth it... NJ is an expensive state in general...haha

I know the Meadowlands (north NJ) has an extremely fast/large Autocross set up (cars hitting 75mph+, from what I hear).. and that may be something we can look into as a group/ASCS.... Granted its not a road course, but I believe the SCCA runs/rents that lot and as a compromise it would probably be way cheaper.. and still a lot of fun. Not to mention we could probably run a speed stop squared and an autocross all day, maybe even all weekend.... Just a thought. Anyone on here a member of the North NJ Region SCCA that could possibly help get this event rolling???

-Sean

I would love to go to this event as long as it wasn't on a major holiday weekend. I just need to get a motor/transmission with better fuel economy.

Where do they usually start and finish? I saw someone mention Watkins Glen and that is only about an hour from me.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Lime Rock has some "no noise limit" days early and late in the season, that might be an option. I have had the discussion with Ian at SCDA in the past and if we can get even 20 cars for Lime Rock, we can have a private run group of just our guys, instructors could be available.

Also Pocano is said to be redoing the infield road courses for next year with the hopes of getting some higher end series in. The new course is rumored to be pretty good by those who have seen the layout. Watkins Glenn offers rentals as well, but the blue-bushes (armco fence) is intimidating. Monticello NY is a long shot, but with publicity they may be interested, they let the magazines use it but it is a private club. I ran it when they use to let the driving schools in, it is an awesome facility, 3.75 miles, very fast areas but some slow sections too.
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible project LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1972 Corvette LT1 Stock
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

I think Pocono would be cool because they use a large portion of the banked Nascar track for the road course. I mentioned Watkins Glen because ..well, its Watkins Glen. For all I know, both of these could be more expensive than NJMP.
      Justin Snow

Hopefully after Bill H. is done with the upcoming RTTH he will chime back in and give his thoughts on a replacement venue for RTTS.
      Justin Snow

A good thing (other than it's a half hour from my house) on Lime Rock is that is is close for the NYC and NJ area people, and there is an autocross area at the track too. The track has some decent runoff areas too. The hard part is finding a no noise limit day. But I'd be game for anything, I couldn't do the 2012 event with the choice of date and lack of motor in my car, but at least the car is back running!

Bill- if Lime Rock is of interest I can help with local ground work since I am close by, I'm sure Randy (Probell) would help too as he is also local.
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible project LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1972 Corvette LT1 Stock
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

Well, let's hear some numbers from everyone. The only assumption if other tracks are to be considered is planning for it not to be a holiday weekend.

Who's interested in general?
      Who would commit if it is a cruise + Autocross and some variant of the speed stop?
      Who would commit if it was just a day on a road course?
      Who would be interested in it was the whole sh-bang?
      How much are any of the above options worth to those interested?

One thing that would be a must for the event is to have a date and some commitment upfront. Even if it ends up that people aren't able to participate I would hope they can still help with promoting by posting up on the various forums and telling their friends. Regardless of what facility we are talking about these things aren't cheap, NJMP is just more not cheap than many others.

-Tim
      NJSPEEDER - Tim Mullaney
      www.NJFBOA.org

Well, let's hear some numbers from everyone. The only assumption if other tracks are to be considered is planning for it not to be a holiday weekend.

Who would commit if it is a cruise + Autocross and some variant of the speed stop?

One thing that would be a must for the event is to have a date and some commitment upfront. Even if it ends up that people aren't able to participate I would hope they can still help with promoting by posting up on the various forums and telling their friends. Regardless of what facility we are talking about these things aren't cheap, NJMP is just more not cheap than many others.

-Tim
      I would be in for anything involved with a track day. Cruise one day track day the next would be great. I throughly enjoyed RTTS1.
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

-Tim
      Kim and I are in for anything and everything! This is our "local" event so we will not miss it.
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

If its close I would do a auto X but really prefer a road course. Wouldnt travel too far for just auto x as there are a few w/in short travels of me.

I'm a definite for any road course wIthin 4 hours of NY. Later than April is a huge plus.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com