Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

painting your engine 2 stage

how many people paint thier engines the same color as the car and with a two stage ,base,clear, .. what is the durabilty like. i want to base/ clear the motor and trans but i just wanted to know if thier is any tricks for prolong durabilty. the engine guy put a light coat of vht on it. i was going to strip that , use etching primer , 400 prime again and base than clear.i already etched the intake, oil pan and trans. any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
      66larkgs
      Turbo Nailhead

I did mine. The first time it got good and hot, the paint cracked. I suggest powder coating. It's baked at 350 degrees so it won't crack. I had to tear mine down for another reason and had it coated. Much better.
      Brian Peacoe

68 Camaro Heidts Subframe and 4 link. 2015 LS3, T56.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinsandJrfan View Post
      I did mine. The first time it got good and hot, the paint cracked. I suggest powder coating. It's baked at 350 degrees so it won't crack. I had to tear mine down for another reason and had it coated. Much better.
      i heard from a engine builder that not to powder coat heads because of the powdercoat cylinder heads tend to run hotter. i have a powdercoat setup at my house but already installed the heads and not going to take them off. what type of clear did you use? was it a twp part with a hardner?
      Thanks for your reply

Paul

The paint was 2 part and the clear had a hardener.
      Brian Peacoe

68 Camaro Heidts Subframe and 4 link. 2015 LS3, T56.

Everycar that leaves my shop has a motor b/c c/c even if its gm orange been doing them 15 years Never had one peel to this day But i clean the motor very well with laquar thinner and always bare metal put a light covered coat of epoxy primer allow flash time base and then clear only using enough to cover min amount as possible in fact now that im ls ing everything im doing the same to them painting silver so a year from now the corrision dont stant showing up Never Ever had a heating problem with any combination ive done . Never even had it burn close to a manifold Except for a pontiac and its the way the heads are made there are no way around them . thanks mike

I have had mine BC/CC on several vehicles. The best suggestion as mentioned above is to make sure all the surfaces being painted are very very clean before painting.
      Roger
      1995 Caprice 6.0 LQ4,L92,L76 Leading Edge Performance Tuned
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456803...caprice/page-1

my engine builder put a light coat of vht blk paint. i think i am going to strip it back down to bare than prime it in self etching primer and go to base coat than clear coat. i am going to the paint shop today to get some paint so i can do some painting the next few days.
      Wouldnt mind some opionions,its ohk to tell me no dont do that..
      the car is going to be a dark grey/gunmetal.either the bmw sparking graphite which is on the chevelle in this picture or gm's magnetic grey metalic on this g8 i plan on doing all the chrome and bumpers and the grill all in a sating blk powdercoat. My firewall and radiator support is currently jet blk and i am wondering if i should change the color of the firewall and rad support or run with the jet blk under the hood.i can powdercoat all the intercooler tubing jet blk and all the accessories. paint the motor and intake in the color of the car.Attachment 62801Attachment 62802Attachment 62803Attachment 62804 here a picture of the engine that will be going in it to the car.
      ps those heater hoses are 1980 and will not be put back on, also the frame is also gloss blk.

Attachment 62796Attachment 62797Attachment 62798Attachment 62799

i used the vht paint. I spent days prepping. Got out my die grinder and smoothed the castings. Put the motor back in, then used a blow gun to clean some of the areas of the motor and the paint started chipping off. I was FURIOUS.

I ended up yanking it back out, Spending another 2 days sanding it with a dremel, degreasing it 6 or 7 times, then using some u-pol cleaner.

I decided to use the eastwood 2K ceramic engine paint. I could not be happier. I even tried scraping at it with a pocket knife and it would not chip. I'd recommend looking into it. I went with flat black for the block and heads, and the traditional ford blue on my canton pan.
      -Dave

Project George - '66 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback

Working on interior, body and paint now.
      Forged 306/C4. Collecting turbo parts for TT setup.

I have tons of 65/66 galaxie parts collected. If you need something, just ask! my wife will thank you.

A LOT of time cleaning and degreasing is the first step.

I always make sure to start with epoxy, and not a self etch primer, the epoxy is a much better product.

After extensive degreasing, i wipe the motor down with waterborne wax and grease remover, let it sit over night then epoxy in the morning, followed by basecoat a hour later.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com