Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

My 67 RS twin turbo lsx e85 build!

Well I am somewhat new to the forum but have found it very useful so far and am having a great time here. I have wanted to build a monster like this for as long as I can remember. I am lucky enough to have the ability and friends in my shop with amazing skills to help this all come to reality. The car is about 4 months in to the project starting with a body that I found on ebay that had a massive amount of sheet metal work to make it basically a new body. Only not new part on the car is the drivers door and the roof. So long story short it has become a totally out of control build and the I might as well since I already went this far.
      So some of the specs on the build are a built T56 6 speed that was built by jason that most of the forum members speak very highly of here in Texas. The body is at paint now but has had a Detroit speed mini tub I installed and a full cage setup for street use so has door bar swing outs and will have a removable harness bar and retain the rear seat. I am going back and forth between a 5.3 and a 6.0 so not sure on that yet. Car will be setup to run E85 that is easy to get locally, a painless performance wiring harness, LS2 CTSV intake and will run ctsv accessories to be more compact. Haven't picked out a clutch yet or bell housing but should get one soon. I am likely going with a ford 9 inch rear end built by Detroit speed with a full coil over suspension system from them with a 4 link rear end and all the bells and whistles. Brakes I am still working on picking out something suitable to keep up with the pro touring setup and wheels well that is going to be the hardest choice.
      The twin turbos are Precision 6262 with V band in and outs, and the manifolds are being custom made out of stainless steel schedule 40. My goal is 1000rwhp and daily driveable.
      So here are some of the pictures I don't know if the order will come out right, but some of the car during sheet metal build, then cage and the exhaust being built with custom collectors, etc etc.. My 67 is at paint at the moment so we are using a 69 for the turbo system mock up and playing around with color options for the powder coating so there are a few colors in there.

I really like the ideas for the cage, it would be nice if there were nicely machined hinges and locks for the door bars. I want to do something similar for mine. Have you tried the rear seats yet to check head clearance? Those rear bars look like they give some clearance but may not be legal for some racing. Some of the rule books state the rear bars must come off the main hoop, travel straight back to the frame rails and have no bends

Nice headers too, they all equal length? Someone has a lot of time into those!!

Also I would like to recommend a full floater for the rear axle. I got a Moser circle track rear. If you do like the twisty stuff, you will eventually want to ditch a semi floating rear axle

Quicktime should have a bell housing you can use. Much safer so if your clutch or flywheel blow, you get to keep your feet
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      I really like the ideas for the cage, it would be nice if there were nicely machined hinges and locks for the door bars. I want to do something similar for mine. Have you tried the rear seats yet to check head clearance? Those rear bars look like they give some clearance but may not be legal for some racing. Some of the rule books state the rear bars must come off the main hoop, travel straight back to the frame rails and have no bends

Nice headers too, they all equal length? Someone has a lot of time into those!!

Also I would like to recommend a full floater for the rear axle. I got a Moser circle track rear. If you do like the twisty stuff, you will eventually want to ditch a semi floating rear axle

Quicktime should have a bell housing you can use. Much safer so if your clutch or flywheel blow, you get to keep your feet
      The door bars actually are setup so they are locked in place with the locking pull pin you pull that out and the bars swing out on a hindge and only go so far so they wont hit the door panel. I can send you closer pictures of that when it comes back from paint if you like.

I am pretty positive the cage wont pass tech for most of the racing applications but I didnt put the cage in to pass tech I did it to help stiffen the car and my own personal safety, with the expected power output I would have twisted the body for sure.

The headers are amazing I have a very skilled fabricator at my shop building them he is a artist!!!

What are your reasoning on the axle? Just curious always appreciate some more info!

I am going between a quicktime and a mcleaod bell housing I mean the mc is 100 cheaper and well lets just say this build has gotten rather pricey so saving a little here and there for what looks like the exact same product is fine with me.

Headers mocked up

oh i am so subscribing to this one! Awesome!!

updates

Well thought I would post a few photos and update on the build. I unfortunately am still waiting to get the body back from paint!! What a nightmare painters are but trying to keep positive on that. So started on the suspension and got alot of nice parts in.

New front subframe, 4 link rear with a built ford 9 inch, wilwood brakes all the way around with 12 inch rotors, adjustable coilovers, rack and pinion steering, should really improve ride quality and I can now fit a 275 tire up front and 335 rear.

Just have to powder coat it all and assemble. FUN STUFF

So doing some test fitting of the engine on the new subframe while I wait for paint, check on oil pan clearance and ac fitment. Had to put on the manifolds just for fun!

My 67 RS twin turbo lsx e85 build!

I'm a pipe fitter by trade and thought I was the only one to use pipe fittings for exhaust! Nice work and sch 40 should last a million years!

Dayum!!! Nice! Headers look crazy man!!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

whats the status update on this!!!???!!!!
      FLOAT LIKE A CADILLAC, STING LIKE A BEEMER.

Quote Originally Posted by 5280Racer View Post
      whats the status update on this!!!???!!!!
      Well I am really just waiting on the painter to finish, so I can finish the fitting of the drive train and then build the exhaust downpipes and the rest of the turbo piping. Then just assemble all the piles of parts I have and build a few other things, fuel system, etc... Here are a few photos of the body, (hopefully i will get it back this week) these are photos before he has color sanded or buffed it out. I cant wait to see how good it looks after that is done!

DAMN, that's looking sharp... i'm jealous... im still in the teardown phase...
      FLOAT LIKE A CADILLAC, STING LIKE A BEEMER.

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      Great Build!

I'm about to do the same with my 67 rs/ss with a twin LSx turbo setup, but I'll be on a budget and in the 800's for a daily drivable (even though it will be a weekend/nice day car).

Subscribed! & I'll post pictures of mine soon.

-Az-

A few more quick updates, got all the parts painted. It only took the guy a year!!! UGGGHHH Now its time to pick out the wheels I think the hardest thing to do possible. Any suggestions are appreciated. It looks like the wheels are really going to be needed to make sure the engine and turbos are positioned correctly. Also got the 4 link installed and put in the 9 inch.

Test fitting some 325 drag radials we had around the shop to see how my tire clearance is.

Took the car down to the lone star round up hot rod show just for kicks and got a great response on it.

Well the wheels just arrived and I have to say the quality is top notch! If you are wanting a custom made to any specs you want wheel that is above and beyond quality go with Forgeline!! I got the GZ3 18*10 and 18*12 275/35 front and 335/30 rear Nitto 555 extreme front and drag radial rear. The car just looks mean now. Still need to adjust ride height but here are some photos of these beauties! They are a three piece wheel forged and just amazing with graphite colored centers and polished lips.

Nice job on the headers! Your gonna need more tire....

Lookin great man!

Just saw the pic at the Contential Club, awesome place! How'd the knuckle draggers like it?
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

Quote Originally Posted by shmoov69 View Post
      Lookin great man!

Just saw the pic at the Contential Club, awesome place! How'd the knuckle draggers like it?
      Well just took it out there for the lone star round up and people went nuts over the car I was kept very busy talking and answering questions. So went pretty well was pretty cool!

That is an AWESOME event too!! Been there a few times
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

So it has been a while since I have updated this thread but as we all know life can get in the way of project builds sometimes. But I have finally started making progress again on my 67 ls Camaro. Here are a few photo updates.

Pulling the engine after engine mounts have been built to powder coat everything

Turbo oil return fittings being installed

And finally doing some test fitting on the body panels while waiting on some other parts to come in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com