Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 9" suggestions?

9" suggestions?

Long story short, I am tired of fighting my 9" built by a local fellow. I have installed it three times now with the same result.

First it was built with used gears and set up. It was quiet until about 200 miles then started howling at speed.

Yanked it, he replaced the gear set and showed me it had a perfect pattern.

Went about 500 miles then it started howling.

Was stuck with it on a road trip from Florida to Ohio.

Got home, yanked it. Took it to him to inspect. He claims nothing appears to be wrong with it. He was going to set up another complete section but was not happy with the cores he had.

He reset the backlash, etc. and I reinsalled the same one. Just went for a test drive and it is howling the exact same way.

I don't think it is a outer bearing, or other problem as twice it was quiet as a mouse for a while, then started making noise on throttle.

I have looked at:

Currie
      Strange
      Moser

It looks like a new center section is around $1,200 no matter where from.

Any suggestions on:

1. Why this one makes so much noise?
      2. Which other brand might be best for a street application?

The guy building my axle has a great reputation and has been doing this for years. This is why I am so frustrated beyond belief that he claims there is no obvious problem with my unit.

Specs.

Modified LS1, auto trans, 2,800 stall, 3.5 gears in a 1969 Camaro

www.mcspeed.homestead.com
      Chris McDonald

i had a problem simmilar to this before , and it was stock the pinion support causing it. under hard use it flexes allowing the pinion depth to change under acceleration . go to a billet or daytona style support , also use a solid spacer rather than a crush sleeve for the pinion preload. if you already have the good stuff? . than i would look into the gears you are using . i like to stick with richmond or u.s. gear. not one of the cheaper companies. i hope this helps.

Can't speak specifically to the gear noise issue, but I can speak to the overall quality of the three suppliers you mentioned. I have a Moser housing in my car currently, oddly enough, with a Currie center section. Mine makes noise too, I am running a trutrac center, iron carrier, and billet pinion support.

Anyway, we are sampling compnents from various suppliers to serve as the basis for future products, and I'll tell you, the apparent quality from Strange, relative to the other two, is significant. Try this, call each of the three and ask the same question. The answer you will generally get from all three will be a good indicator. That is, of course, if either Currie or Moser even call you back.

Strange.
      M

Good info guys.

I swear to you, next to the issues I am having getting the TCC to work right and this rear gear mess, the car is just about to kick my butt. We have come soooooooooooo far to get knocked out by this!

I have been running the car around today doing some testing on the TCC. DANG! This rear is so loud that you have to actually crank the stereo up to a significant volume to drown it out.

Totally unacceptable.

I have been searching the net a bit and will be burning up the phones on Monday.

I am confident this issue can not be a result of pinion/drive shaft angle, spring perch mounts, etc. etc. It has to be a major defect in the assembly of the unit (s).

I notice the all new units have reinforced housings and other such items.

Thanks for your input. All suggestions are being considered.
      Chris McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather
      i had a problem simmilar to this before , and it was stock the pinion support causing it. under hard use it flexes allowing the pinion depth to change under acceleration . go to a billet or daytona style support , also use a solid spacer rather than a crush sleeve for the pinion preload. if you already have the good stuff? . than i would look into the gears you are using . i like to stick with richmond or u.s. gear. not one of the cheaper companies. i hope this helps.
      Was this during just normal street driving your problem surfaced?

I have yet to really slam the car to any extreme, so it just does not make sense to me this would develop. My engine is strong (SLP Stage III LS1), but I don't fear it could ever do damage to a properly built 9" unit.
      Chris McDonald

Which brand gear are you running? Richmond Gears are noisy to begin with, so that could be the problem. Everybody's thought of too much gear noise is different, so it is hard to establish the problem via the net, too. I know that my Richmond 4.33's that were in my Moser 9" under my 95 z28 had a beautiful wear pattern, but you could hear the noise over the sound of the car with the exhaust open and the radio on! They were set up correctly, but were Richmonds! Dad has a 68 Camaro with Richmonds in the 12 bolt, and they too are noisy and set up correctly.
      '72 Chevelle- 4 wheel 12" Discs, Konis, Hotchkis springs (shortened an extra coil up front), 17" Cragar Soft 8's with 245's in front and 275's in back. ---STILL IN PROGRESS---

Quote Originally Posted by deadcarny
      Which brand gear are you running? Richmond Gears are noisy to begin with, so that could be the problem. Everybody's thought of too much gear noise is different, so it is hard to establish the problem via the net, too. I know that my Richmond 4.33's that were in my Moser 9" under my 95 z28 had a beautiful wear pattern, but you could hear the noise over the sound of the car with the exhaust open and the radio on! They were set up correctly, but were Richmonds! Dad has a 68 Camaro with Richmonds in the 12 bolt, and they too are noisy and set up correctly.
      Not Richmond. He told me the name but I can't remember now. He uses two different brands. They are American made, I do remember that. I had Richmond in my 90 Vette with 3.75 on a Dana 44. They had a very light almost sweet sounding high pitched easy whine that was faint. The car also had a ZF 6 and single mass flywheel that ampliphied EVERYTHING.

This noise is just bad. My buddy is a GM master tech. He was riding in the car with me the first time it started doing it out of the blue. He was freaking out, because when we started out an hour before that the car was silent and smooth. Too weird.

I might just snap a quick video in it on Sunday and post that on my site, then you would be able to hear it.
      Chris McDonald

Country Flag: United States
      Yes, please post the sound. That would be a great help. It sure sounds like a bearing issue to me though. Also, how did you break the gears in? Other than that, it sounds kinda odd.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

I work for one of large mail order differential shops. The noise you are talking about sounds like a gear noise(because you say its only under throdle). Most of the aftermarket 9 inch gears make noise.When we have a problem with a car like yours the only way we usualy get rid of the noise is to put in a good used oem set.

The other thing that seems to cause noise problems is urathane bushings or some types of traction bars.

Quote Originally Posted by diffdude
      I work for one of large mail order differential shops. The noise you are talking about sounds like a gear noise(because you say its only under throdle). Most of the aftermarket 9 inch gears make noise.When we have a problem with a car like yours the only way we usualy get rid of the noise is to put in a good used oem set.

The other thing that seems to cause noise problems is urathane bushings or some types of traction bars.
      That is interesting info. I do have the VB&P fiberglass mono springs. I think they use a poly bushing on each end, but don't know for sure. I assume they may transmit a bit more noise "but", my 69 Corvette has the fiberlass dual mount and there is no such noise in it. No traction bars on this set up.

The noise it makes is between a growl & howl. It reminds me of a cross between an old worn out school bus howl/whine, and a bad wheel bearing growl.

It will growl now too as I am slowing to a stop around 20 mph it will start to growl until about 3-5 mph.

My gear guy is putting one togther from scratch this week. I guess I have nothing to loose but 3 more quarts of fluid, a couple of hours, and some posi lube to try it out next weekend. I intend to pull this one all the way down and see what is in it.

If the replacement this week does the trick then I am going to let it roll.
      Chris McDonald

Country Flag: United States
      what kind of pinion angle are you running. i used to set the pinion angle @ zero-1 degrees down for street driving and had no noise but for the strip angled it down 4-5 degrees and had noticeably more noise but hooked well. i was running a daytona pinion support that my machinist "blueprinted" prior to setting up the rearend. hope the new center section cleans everything up.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com