Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

69 Camaro roof felt/insulation removal

I'm hoping those who have done this messy job can give me some most appreciated guidance. I scrapped off the original felt on the interior roof surface but didn't remove the areas between the roof supports and the roof (approx 1/8"). Should I just leave the felt in that area alone or try and remove it? Even IF I can remove it all will I be able to slide new material (dynamat extreme or second skin) in between the supports and the roof?

Secondly, while my car is almost completely down to the shell I'd like to paint the mildly rusted interior surfaces (under dash, under roof, behind sail panels and under rear deck filler). I can scuff down most of the areas and was leaning towards rattle can (VHT-epoxy or black Hammertone paint) vs POR-15 or Rust Bullet or Eastwood rust encapsulator? Seems like any of these options will be a HUGE improvement verse the way its been since 1969!

Thanks in advance for your time and input! I'm trying to get over this hump and more forward.
      Dave

Country Flag: United States
      I removed the felt from the roof of my firebird with a flat scraper, then washed or scrubbed as much as i could with a rag soaked in degreaser like simple green. Messy to be sure, i also tried using a blow gun to remove the left over stuff, an even bigger mess. I did finally get it out, much happier now that I don't have a brown dusty appearance anymore. I decided to use por15 under my dash since spraying in a confined area would be even worse than the brown dusty stuff. Whatever you use for the coating I would NOT spray it. But, thats me.

Spent the day yesterday removing that mess and a mess it was scraper and i have a wire wheel air operated that worked great . i decided that we didnt need to remove stuff from under the braces you would just have to put something back then por 15 then dynamat the entire area before putting the fiberglas headliner in . The best part if there was one i had the windshield and back glass out so was able to put a fan in and blow most of the light stuff away while scrapping . good luck biggg mess but i think well worth it the roof sounds like its got an inch of bondo in it now .

Just a tip that worked well for me. Use a flat paint scraper and hold a shop-vac right under it. It will still make a mess but not nearly as bad as it could be.
      Aldin
      1969 Camaro (Weapon of Choice) in the works

Messy job no matter what. I taped plastic to catch the falling debris about 6" below and wore a paint mask and safety glasses. Still got that stuff all over head and arms. Went to town w a plastic scraper and shop vac. Got as much of it out as possible but some areas are virtually impossible to reach. I also used the scraper to remove as much between the rod and roof as I could. Last steps were 3m soap and water/simple green and POR15. Hated every minute. No wonder two shops 'forgot' to get to it...
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.in.SoCal View Post
      Messy job no matter what. I taped plastic to catch the falling debris about 6" below and wore a paint mask and safety glasses. Still got that stuff all over head and arms. Went to town w a plastic scraper and shop vac. Got as much of it out as possible but some areas are virtually impossible to reach. I also used the scraper to remove as much between the rod and roof as I could. Last steps were 3m soap and water/simple green and POR15. Hated every minute. No wonder two shops 'forgot' to get to it...
      Hey Ron,, Just curious about to install the headliner in my car. Did you put dynamat back in there after cleaning all the stuff off the roof? I was thinking just installing half a square in each section.. Think that would do it? Hope your enjoying your car.. Mine is almost on the road..

My removal method is to put the car on a rotisserie, flip the car over and scrape with putty knife... LOL...

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Country Flag: Canada
      ha ....got you all beat ...just cut the whole damn roof skin off like i did lol....
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      My removal method is to put the car on a rotisserie, flip the car over and scrape with putty knife... LOL...

Don
      haha,, I actually had this car on a rotisserie 2 times,,, kick my own butt.. never even thought about it.. until I received my headliner yesterday!

I was given a tip by a local restoration shop that works great! Put some lacquer thinner in a spray bottle and soak it. Scrapes off with ease and no dust. To finish up the job, I used one of those scotchbrite roloc discs on my die grinder.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com