Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Center console build in my 67 Camaro

Here are some pics on my center console build, so far I have all the difficult part done " the fiberglass", sanding that stuff down is no joke. The fiberglass dust can get to be pretty damn itchy and aggrevating. Now Im working on the finish product "Bondo" a lot easier to work with than fiberglass.

Ive also been looking around for a good solid door panel clip, any recommendations? Im making my own door panels and would like to see what other builders have used for theirs.
      Attached Images Attached Images                

Center console dash tilt

I am debating on wether or not I should tilt my center console dash section forward with more tilt or closer to the back with less tilt. I Kinda like the tilt forward only because it gives a more dimensional look but the stereo head unit might be too far away. I will be installing a touch screen type head unit with a remote. I almost always use the remote but im sure I will need to touch the screen every once in a while. What do you guys think, looks or accessability?

I guess I can always meet half way between both angles, I will throw in the seat tonight and see how my reach feels. Of course the more I tilt it forward the further away the head unit and the ac vent will be???

Country Flag: United States
      Nice work Charles! That had to take a couple minutes to do. LOL

If you are using Vintage Air... you might want to put the unit in and see if you have room to do that forward angle. It seemed like mine was pretty tight in the stock location.

Are the armrests in the back removable? Only reason I ask is, I just installed my quarter glass and there is 1 nut down low you'll have to get to.
      Mike South
      1968 Camaro SS/RS LS1/T56
      Ride Tech Tru Turn, Ride Tech T/Q Coil-overs
      Ride Tech 4-link

wow, thats a lot of work involved there. Looking forward to seeing it completed. Good luck.
      67 Camaro convertible (Jinx)

Thanx Buzzkillian. I actually cut the inside of my cowl and tucked the VA as far up as possible with my own brackets. I had figured some extra clearance for the unit but ur right im gonna dbl check. I will be installing cup holders in my rear armrest and will have to use 2 universal wrench adapters to set the nut throught the holder hole. Wont be easy but I hope I dont have to do it too many times

Thanx 67 ls1 vert...

Thanx Buzzkillian. I actually cut the inside of my cowl and tucked the VA as far up as possible with my own brackets. I had figured some extra clearance for the unit but ur right im gonna dbl check. I will be installing cup holders in my rear armrest and will have to use 2 universal wrench adapters to set the nut throught the holder hole. Wont be easy but I hope I dont have to do it too many times

Welding the dash up.

Just finished welding up the dash to the console. Now for the dash itself.

Whoa, big job. Looking forward to see the final product.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Looks like it will add a fair amount of weight to the car.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Looks really nice Charles. Did you build the "walls" at the package tray with sheet metal, then fiberglass over? Or is that all fiberglass? What are you planning for seats?
      Jeff

Yeah a bit more added weight but I know it will not crack or start moving on me later. The original console weighs a bit on its own so Im not too concerned. I could have gone with MDF or one of those cut and paste consoles but the weight would would have been pretty close to what I have now, maybe a little less. I used fiberglass in the rear area between the back seats up and around the package tray down to the armrest under the quarter windows. I figured these areas would not have too much activity around them so I went with the fiberglass.

The package tray and under the rear seats is all fiberglass as well, I am retro-fitting the Iroc-Z fold down rear bucket seats to fit in place, I will be adding some additional padding to make them hug your back nicely.

Nice

Cool stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Any updates?
      Looking pretty cool so far.

Love seeing fab work like this. Pretty cool.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com